Compound Bows

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by bmoore15, Dec 3, 2011.

1. bmoore15

bmoore15 100+ Posts

I'm looking at getting my wife a compound bow for Christmas. It would be for recreational use in shooting targets, nothing living. She took archery a couple time in school and loved it, and has wanted a bow since then. I was looking at a Diamond bow but it's a little expensive for me so was hoping someone on here had another option. If the Diamond bow in the link is the best then I might have to go for it though. Thanks in advance for any help.

Diamond Compound Bow

2. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

Was she using a compound bow in school? She may want something similar but better than what you know she already loved. At what distance will she set the targets? Either way, my advice to you is to not piss her off.

3. bmoore15

bmoore15 100+ Posts

Lol will definitely not piss her off, at least not on purpose. She did use a compound bow in school that I think had a draw weight of 20 lbs. And I think the targets might be a variety of different distances but have no clue what they would be.

4. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

i think the bow you chose is pretty good and while $320 sounds high for a bow, that is pretty much the going rate for a fully adjustable compound bow. You can find your same bow for about $280 online, though, so you could consider going that route and avoid sales tax. The Diamond Nuclear Ice Compound Bow Package - Pink Blaze is cheaper (about $200) but I am not sure if it will meet your wife's needs.

Browning Micro Adrenaline is pretty similar to the Diamond that you mentioned but it is also around the same price. However, I think Eagle Archery has a clearance 25 Inch 40# for $270.

5. squib

squib 25+ Posts

Diamond has had a rumored problem with derails so I would be careful there. Go to Archery Talk and visit the classified forum. You can find a better bow there for a good price. There are lots of good bows available--and I don't count Diamond among those personally. Obviously, they are just the cheapo model made by Bowtech. I have a Bowtech bow and a PSE. I also shoot a Mathews and a Bear from time to time. I like the back wall on the Bowtech the best, but I also really like the high-end Bears.

6. squib

squib 25+ Posts

What is her draw length? I will go snoop around and see what I can find. Bet we can get you a good slightly used one for less than $150.
    I would never buy a new bow for someone that is not sure about the sport. Way too many just never get hooked--and then are stuck with a bow. If she really likes it, you can get your money back on the used bow and then go buy a new one.

7. bmoore15

bmoore15 100+ Posts

Thanks for the info Squib, I don't really know anything about bows. Like I said she just took archery in college and really liked it, so has been really wanting a bow for the last couple of years just to shoot targets. By draw length do you mean weight? I know she said that she used a 20lb weight on the draw at school. But if thats not what you're talking about then I have no clue.

8. squib

squib 25+ Posts

Draw length and draw weight are two different things. Draw length is how far a person deflects the string or draws back the bow. It is very important to fit a bow to a person's exact draw length. To some extent, it is a function of height and arm length (also facial structure). My draw length is 27.5 inches, which is pretty short but I am only 5 foot 9.

Draw weight is the force it takes to deflect the bow string. It is a function of strength.

9. FridayNiteLites

FridayNiteLites 500+ Posts

Take your wife to a pro shop and let her handle some bows to find one that feels good to her. Get one that has a 75-80% letoff at full draw. Make her take some lessons and learn to shoot properly or she'll hurt something(herself) and won't want to shoot anymore. Make sure you get good gear, and keep it simple stupid. I've seen quite a few of my friends do the same thing and if they follow what I'm saying it works out really well, for the most part. That is until she starts kicking your tail at the range, then it's game on! There are plenty of 3D tournaments around the state and she might enjoy shooting in them. Good luck.