Computer Repair Advice

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by TaylorTRoom, May 12, 2011.

1. TaylorTRoom

TaylorTRoom 1,000+ Posts

Need help. I cleared a virus a week ago, and now my HP scanner won't run. It asks what program I want to use to open the hppscan7.exe file. I read a little, and understand that a deleted file can screw up my .exe running. It looks like there is a lot of free software offered to repair this, but wanted to get advice first before downloading any. Tips?

2. wherzwaldo

wherzwaldo 1,000+ Posts

What version of Windows are you running? Have you tried System Restore?

3. TaylorTRoom

TaylorTRoom 1,000+ Posts

Windows XP. What is System Restore? Is it a command, or a software?

Thanks.

4. Rayug

Rayug 100+ Posts

If you recently removed a virus you don't want to use system restore. I would look your scanners model on HP website and download drivers and software there.

5. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Yeah, system restore would just restore the virus too. Rayug has the right plan.

6. wherzwaldo

wherzwaldo 1,000+ Posts

The idea with System Restore would be that he restored to a point before the infection, not at the point of infection.

7. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

The problem being he probably doesn't know exactly when the infection began.

8. TaylorTRoom

TaylorTRoom 1,000+ Posts

Thanks for the advice, all. Here's what happened. The anti-virus, Malwarebytes, killed the virus but in doing so also whiped out files that ran my .exe files. The Malwarebytes forum administrators fixed me up with a program that fixed my pc. All good, and money was saved.