Confederations Cup

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by History Horn, Jun 14, 2009.

1. TexanWolv

TexanWolv 1,000+ Posts

Wow....Fathers Day Miracle.

Gem...The minute Spector crossed that ball I thought "Thats the best ball I've seen a back for the USA cross since....ever"

[​IMG]

2. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

3. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

4. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Gem you are right that coaches often get too much credit and too much of the blame but Bradley is doing what any other mid-level quality coach could do with this team and that more than anything is why the USA needs to get the top level coach to get them to their full potential. That may not be enough to get out of the group play next year but in their present form we are looking at 2 losses and one potential draw at best and something must be done to shake up the team. Cant change too dramatically the talent level so coaching changes are the only option.

5. TexanWolv

TexanWolv 1,000+ Posts

Tony's cross was a thing of beauty....But Spector's ball had that awesome whipping motion you see out of the best crossers in the business. The main difference for me is Spectors ball was a cross that wasnt necessarily intended for one person...but rather just an awesome world-class cross that causes all kinds of problems for the defense and the goalie.

6. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

7. SyracuseHorn

SyracuseHorn 500+ Posts

The lineup I'd like to see against Spain:

-------Howard
    Spector--Demerit--Gooch--Bornstein
    Donovan--Feilhaber--Bradley--Torres
    Dempsey--Altidore

What Bob Bradley will probably do:

-------Howard
    Spector--Demerit--Gooch--Bornstein
    Dempsey--Clark--Bradley--Donovan
    Altidore--Davies

8. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

In reply to:

9. groundss

groundss 100+ Posts

Wow...are you effing kidding me?
    Just watched the games and still can't believe my eyes,,,

As for Spain...I think a good result would be something like what we gained against Germany in 02. Play hard, play well, get a few chances and hope for the best...they're the best in the world, by far, if we play organized and lose by anything less than 2 goals I'll be happy.

Dempsey, if he plays (and he will) must play up top.
    If he's on the field (he's proven he's incapable of defending) he must be in a striking role.

Normally against a side like Spain I'd prefer to see a 4-5-1; Play like Iraq, maybe get to PKs. But considering there's no Edu or Mastroeani, I think we have to go with a 4-4-2. As a result we won't stay composed or organized, give up another early goal and watch another onslaught dealt with by howard...less than a 3 goal deficit will be considered a moral victory in my book...

10. TexanWolv

TexanWolv 1,000+ Posts

Quick question....Am I the only one that thought Guzan was incredibly shaky? Came out on repeated corners and did not get a hand on it. Confusion seemed to break out between him and the defenders on numerous occasions. I can't believe we didn't let in a goal yesterday.

Another related note: Michael Bradley says we can all go to hell. I don't have the link but you can find the article with those comments either on ESPN or SI.

As for Spain...Whew...That is going to be interesting. We have to play a 4-4-2....because we seem to fail horribly when doing anything else. I'm really happy Rico is playing well (despite the red) because we are going to need him to patrol the middle and shut down those ridiculously good mids for Spain. People seem convinced that we'll see Torres or Adu in this game...probably because of Adu's performance against Spain in that friendly. I think the conversation on what to do with Dempsey is interesting because I personally would like to see Davies up top again.

11. 210-816-Horn

210-816-Horn 250+ Posts

What was the starting lineup against Spain last year when U.S. lost 1 - 0 ???

12. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

Next year has the potential to be a quilombo in South Africa.In reply to:

13. groundss

groundss 100+ Posts

SPAIN 1, USA 0 (June 4, 2008): The Lineups

===============Casillas=================

Ramos===Marchena=====Puyol====Capdevila

-------------------E. Johnson--------------------

===============Alonso=================

E. Lewis------------Adu---------------Dempsey

=========Xavi========Fabregas=========

--------------Bradley----Edu----------------------

Cazorla=========Torres=============Silva

Pearce---Bocanegra---Onyewu-----Cherundolo

--------------------Howard----------------------

The Link

14. TexanWolv

TexanWolv 1,000+ Posts

Not that I can afford to even go to South Africa next year...But it really sucks that the issues there are going to keep people away from such a beautiful country. I've always wanted to visit there and spend time in Johannesburg.

15. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

In reply to:

16. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

The Spain game is basically a free shot, let it all hang out play loose and whatever happens against the world number one happens. The consolation game against likely South Africa will be great practice for Azteca in a month and half, a hostile road game against a good team. Not that this team hasnt already gotten to play in some hostile environments (sarprissa comes to mind) but it cant hurt with road game qualifiers in Mexico City and Tegucigalpa still to be played.

17. Knoxville-Horn

Knoxville-Horn 1,000+ Posts

Screw FIFA for putting the WC in South Africa. Stupid.

By the way, I fully intend to be in Brazil for 2014. My wife speaks multiple languages (ESL teacher) and has the opportunity to go to most countries throughout the World and translate/teach English. The first thing I said to her when I found out about this was "Brazil 2014." Plus, my 2 1/2 year old will be 7 and he could benefit from playing with the Brazilian kids. By the way, I'm not Marinovich's father. My boy - literally - wants to kick the ball all day.

18. TexonLongIsland

TexonLongIsland 2,500+ Posts

Buzzzzzzzzzz, Buzzzz, Buuuuuzzzzz, Bzzzzzzzzzz

[​IMG]

19. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG] USA with 1 nil lead and has dominated run of play for first 30 minutes. Spain looks lethargic.

Not sure if this will last for 60 more minutes but interesting result so far.

20. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

That was awesome. I think it is a compliment to Altidore that the Spanish player pulled at his jersey to keep him from going by. They would rather a free kick by Donovan (oooooh and the almost put in if Dempsey let's black mouth head it). That, Jozy, is respect!

21. SyracuseHorn

SyracuseHorn 500+ Posts

The US had some good chances in the first half. A little nervous early, but settled quickly and looked dangerous for a half hour. We were under too much pressure in the final 10 minutes, though. We need to keep possession of the ball a bit better than we did at the end of the 1st half.

22. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

We need to play to win, not to lose! I hate seeing this in teams in any sport. Spain has set up a colony on our side of the field. They are having an inquisition near the box and a crusade to goal time and time again. Enough. Bastante, no mas.

23. JohnnyM

JohnnyM 2,500+ Posts

GOOOOOOOOOOOOALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL #2!!!!

YES YES YES YES YES keep it up Nats!!!!!!

24. History Horn

History Horn 100+ Posts

Hell ******* Yeah!!

Dempsey!!!!!

2 -Nil

Hook 'em Yanks

25. TexonLongIsland

TexonLongIsland 2,500+ Posts

anyone see the stats that Spain:

1) is on a record tying run of unbeaten games? 16 I think (correction 36)

2) they have not lost to a non-european team in 10 years

That ends tonight

26. 210-816-Horn

210-816-Horn 250+ Posts

I saw the beginning of this match and the US was attacking from the get-go....the US was rentless and I was amazed how Spain just didn't looked motivated as if they were going to win the match by just showing up.
    I was one of those who thought the US was going to get hammered, since they had poor showings against Brazil and Italy. What a turn of events and I'm proud of this team to show this kind of drive and determination when the entire world wrote them off after the first two games of the tourney!

Go [​IMG]

27. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

This is pretty much the biggest win/upset the national team has ever had. It's a shame the average American sports fan won't realize it.

28. History Horn

History Horn 100+ Posts

On To The FINALS!!!

Yes Baby!!!!

Hook 'em Yanks

29. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

Just ******* CRAZY!!!!!1 [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

It's a shame that the ref felt the need to give a straight red card to Michael Bradley with 3 minutes left in the game. That's 3 games in 4 that the USA has received a straight red card and I think that all three have been from the front. And at least two were with only one foot. I've never seen that before.

30. History Horn

History Horn 100+ Posts

One deserved red out of the three given.

I wonder if 1899 is on suicide watch after this? The Mexies must hate any international success for the US side. Since we beat their asses in CONCACAF all the time, all they had to hold onto was more success against the big fish in international tournaments.

Hook 'em Yanks