Confederations Cup

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by History Horn, Jun 14, 2009.

1. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

That was a phenomenal result. Spain had 45 minutes of sustained pressure on the US defense. The second goal was a gift but I'll take it.

The red card was criminal, that wasnt a red card it was a questionable yellow even. The refs are definitely looking at the US much closer than others and I would like to know why.

I still am not sold on Bradley as coach but if he can get the team to play this loose more consistently then maybe he is the man and maybe the US has a chance to get out of group play next year. What a difference two games makes.

Now Sunday against Brazil there is nothing to lose so just play as loose and care free as they did today. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Our olympic basketball teams have been avenged....

3. TexanWolv

TexanWolv 1,000+ Posts

Speechless.

[​IMG]

4. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

Awesome. [​IMG] [​IMG]

I only got to see a little of the action, but it did look like we were being aggressive. Just awesome.

5. TexonLongIsland

TexonLongIsland 2,500+ Posts

and Augieball tonight? Shaping up to a great sportsday

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Squall

Squall 500+ Posts

it was a pleasure watching this game, knowing the huge smiles on the fellow US soccer fans here on Hornfans and in the country.

Pluck and grit, loved every minute of that match.

[​IMG] USA! [​IMG]

7. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

We won? What was the final score? You've gotta be kidding me-isn't Spain the best team in the world? Did they have all their good players?

8. History Horn

History Horn 100+ Posts

Yes. A full strength Spanish side in a FIFA tournament with the right to advance to the finals on the line.

You're not dreaming.

Hook 'em Yanks

9. TexanWolv

TexanWolv 1,000+ Posts

Quick thing....How AWESOME was it hearing the USA chants towards the end of the match?

I'm in heaven right now.

[​IMG]

10. SunBurntOrange

SunBurntOrange 500+ Posts

I am completely speechless.

Wow.

[​IMG]

11. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Certain peeps in Asia will be waking soon and will be quite delighted at this result!

12. midwayhorn

midwayhorn 100+ Posts

Just unbelievable. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. Hornin Hong Kong

Hornin Hong Kong 1,000+ Posts

14. Hornin Hong Kong

Hornin Hong Kong 1,000+ Posts

15. JohnnyM

JohnnyM 2,500+ Posts

Does soccer ever look at cards and retroactively change the call like the NBA often does? I don't think so, but if there's ever a case to be made it's the red card at the end. What *********.

And it was hard to hear much of anything over the constant buzz from those horns. I hope to hell they ban those for the WC or else watching that will be painful.

But, eff all that if we're going to keep playing like this! Here's to Sunday!!!

16. gobears92

gobears92 Guest

forgot about the game today and just saw it on espn [​IMG]

fuckin A [​IMG]

17. groundss

groundss 100+ Posts

Absolutely incredible...I got goosebumps when they blew the final whistle.

What a performance from just about everyone. Donovan was everywhere, Demerit an absolute beast in the middle, Howard stellar in goal, etc.

They withstood the pressure and capitalized when they needed to. A well deserved result and a great day for American soccer. Go Yanks! [​IMG]

18. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

19. MajorYoung

MajorYoung 25+ Posts

Way to go Yanks!!!...I had to avoid the score all day yesterday as I wasnt able to watch the game live, and then got home during the baseball game and watched that first. Avoiding the scrolling bottom line on ESPN during the baseball game was a battle...but well worth it.

[​IMG]

20. TexanWolv

TexanWolv 1,000+ Posts

21. robc

robc 25+ Posts

Wow--what a difference two games makes! Incredible win. Was hoping for a double last night at Omaha but I've got to give it to the team for some inspired play. Maybe we have turned a page!

22. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Wolv, I have gone the route of taping some paper over the scroll line with tape at either end. But now these jerks announce other goings on when they get tired of blathering on endlessly. "So today in soccer the US...blah blah", like they know what they are talking about or care.

23. TexanWolv

TexanWolv 1,000+ Posts

No doubt about that, loop. It's sort of a double-edged sword when it comes to getting media on the soccer team. On one hand...You want all the coverage possible! On the other...I can't stand hearing people that are educated in other sports and thus have a soap box talk about soccer. Example...As much as I like PTI, listening to them talk about the USA-Egypt result and us moving on was like nails on a chalkboard.

24. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Brazil with an 88th minute score today beats South Africa 1 nil. Baffana Baffan looked very strong and should be strong contenders to advance next year particularly since they will be a one seed and likely have a group similar to their Confeds group with a fellow african team, an asian/Concacaf team and a European or South American team.

Final Sunad is the rematch of USA-Brazil, lets hope it isnt another rollover.

25. orangeblack&gold

orangeblack&gold 500+ Posts

Saw the last half of the game in a booth across from Rosenblatt (owners kept wanting to change to an entertainment channel but were very patient with the soccer fans gathered around to watch their TV) with another Hornfan who was very helpful with my lack of knowledge about soccer. I learned quite a bit from him and have more appreciation for the game than I did when I went a bit soccer crazy for the Men's WC we hosted along with the Women's Team win back in the 90s. Thanks again to whoever you were and good luck to our Team getting the points necessary to qualify for this upcoming WC.

Really enjoyed watching that game even though the breaker blew with about a minute left in the penalty time with a swarm of Spaniards in our side....

26. gecko

gecko 2,500+ Posts

Huh...?

RSA up 1 - 0 in the 88th minute. ESP scores 2 goals, the last coming in the 91st minute (or something like that) to take the lead. Game over right....? Fans start filing out and the camera pans the crowd focusing on faces of loathing and despair......then "bam" RSA gets a free kick from about 40 yards out and the game is 2 - 2 going to extra time.

I'm not an MSL fan....but I love international competition.

27. JohnnyM

JohnnyM 2,500+ Posts

1-0 WTG Dempsey!!!!!!!!111

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

USA USA USA!!!! This actually looks like a futbol team.

28. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

Try 2-0

With a free kick to the side of the box. No goal, but corner kick.

29. midwayhorn

midwayhorn 100+ Posts

USA defending like maniacs. Howard has been huge.
    I'm stunned.

30. triplehorn

triplehorn 2,500+ Posts

WoW !

What a great first half. Both US goals were beautiful, especially the full field fast break counter strike that Donovan finished. Tim Howard is keeping goal with confidence despite the continuous threats Brazil is launching.

Taking a 2-0 lead into the half against Brazil = unreal.