Conference Realignment Update

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by jctex, Nov 24, 2012.

1. jctex

jctex 25+ Posts

See this update on conference realignment/expansion.

Supposedly, the BigXII has an expansion committee meeting on Monday . . . [​IMG]

2. Seattle4UT

Seattle4UT 1,000+ Posts

Big XII is now "reacting" as opposed to being "proactive" about Expansion. You never win when reacting.

3. dillohorn

dillohorn Guest

Maybe they'll add some teams that Mack can beat.

4. SportsICT

SportsICT 500+ Posts

5. n64ra

n64ra 1,000+ Posts

why didnt the big 12 have grant of rights before to keep nu, cu, mu, and aggy?

6. Tecolote

Tecolote 100+ Posts

They need to add Rice. Seriously, Houston is fast becoming solid SEC land along with parts of rural east Texas. If the Big 12 becomes an afterthought in the state;'s biggest city that is a problem. The footprint matters to coverage and thus exposure to young athletes. Rice won't win very much, but they insure that the BIG 12 is the big game in HOU.

7. notanative

notanative 1,000+ Posts

...and Rice is AAU.

8. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

I've been a second tier Rice fan since the late 50s and root for them against everybody except UT. I remember getting excited about them again when Mack's brother was coach there for a few years.

Question: why is Rice not the Stanford of Texas? Is it because it is so much smaller? Or because the high schools in Cal are so much better on average than the ones in Texas that they have a better crop to pick from?

9. Tecolote

Tecolote 100+ Posts

I think it is because they have not put the $ on the table. They have a huge endowment and just have not spent it. I know a guy....really....who is pretty connected at Rice and he said they have the ability to produce at least $250 million in a very short period of time if they get a major conference invite but they are not interested in upgrades to stay in a crappy conference.

10. Irish Horn

Irish Horn < 25 Posts

I went to Notre Dame for undergrad and Texas for law school. They are the two programs I follow most closely, and in my opinion, they are the two alpha++ programs in college sports. Given the direction media distribution is headed, I think Texas would be much better off keeping itself in a smaller Big 12 so that it can act as a quasi-independent than it would be joining forces with lesser schools like NC State, Clemson, or whoever.

Delaney and the Big 10, in my opinion, are being very shortsighted. They're obsessed with getting the Big 10 Network on basic cable in large media markets, but when cable TV goes a la carte having second tier programs in large media markets is going to be worthless.

I think having ND play Texas two out of every four years in early November makes more financial sense than adding a bunch of second tier programs. Among other reasons, it increases the size of the pie without having to dish out more slices.

11. notanative

notanative 1,000+ Posts

12. dthree36

dthree36 500+ Posts

I have a strange feeling that the old SWC is taking shape yet again.... Houston, SMU, who else is missing... Arkansas will not come back but then again. BYU might seek a league but being independent with a Playoff may not be a bad deal.

13. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

What Irish Horn said!!!!! [​IMG]

14. Unques prist

Unques prist 250+ Posts

Irish Horn has got this fan stuff covered - TX fan while ND sucked and now can go full on Irish while TX sucks. Wish I had that option [​IMG]

15. XOVER

XOVER 500+ Posts

I agree that the B12 should have a school to cover the City of Houston. I prefer Houston, but yes, Rice is AAU and the Owls would be fine, too.

16. BV Horn

BV Horn 100+ Posts

Anybody saying that the Big XII should add UH or Rice can't be serious, just schedule a OOC game with either and that's enough.

17. dthree36

dthree36 500+ Posts

There is 0 Seriousness of UH or Rice on my thoughts... but I wouldn't doubt if that is what would happen... add a few schools in the Texas area that would well do nothing for the conference wouldn't surprise me. TCU earned their spot and after whipping up on us this year have every right to be part of the Big12. I would love to see Florida St and Clemson or some other quality schools.