Convertibles - are they a beating to own?

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by Jive_Turkey, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Jive_Turkey

Jive_Turkey 1,000+ Posts

I've never owned a convertible, but I think I want one. I've rented convertibles when out of town for business and loved them. It's something I want to do now to make me happy. Life is short, right?

But is owning a convertible (as opposed to just renting one for a week) a beating? Are there added headaches that you don't have with non-convertibles? Extra maintenance? Thanks.

2. BA93

BA93 1,000+ Posts

very loud at high speeds (top up or down) and it will be hot. I had one in college, and it was rarely down because of the heat. Driving at 40 isn't too hot but stopped at a light is a killer.

I had someone knife the top just to steal something worth $50 in the backseat.

I would have another convertible, but never as a primary car. fun weekend vehicle only.

3. Xminus6

Xminus6 500+ Posts

here in los angeles they're amazing. but i don't think i would own a convertible in texas. just too damn hot most of the time. the fact that i wouldn't use it with the top down 85% of the time makes the hassle/benefit ratio off. in california, when i owned both of my convertibles the top was down about 90% of the time when it wasn't raining.

4. midtown

midtown 1,000+ Posts

^
    Bingo. Texas weather is not ideal for a convertible. It's like owning an overcoat.

5. Bernard

Bernard 1,000+ Posts

I'm on my third one now. Love them. Even in Texas. Winter days and summer nights make Texas perfect for convertibles year round. Even when the weather wasn't ideal, I always liked having the top down. If it's cold, I turn on the heater. If it's hot I turn on the AC.

I had a 1982 Dodge 400 Convertible (LaBaron clone) in high school and college. I loved that car. I drove the hell out of it. Very reliable Mistubishi engine. It was new to me in 1985 for $6,500.

By 1992, it was getting a bit tired so I found an identical 1982 LeBaron Convertible and picked it up for $2,500. I loved that car too and drove it for several years unitl the AC broke in about 1995 and I didn't feel like paying to have it fixed.

Dark years followed with a Honda and two Lexus ES's. :-(

I just bougt a 2002 CLK430 convertible and I'm psyched to be back in topless mode. It's a weekend driver, but I could easily drive it everyday. It's amazingly quiet with the top up, even at 80+ miles and hour. It's a lot of car for $25k. If you don't need 275 horsepower, you can get a CLK320 a whole lot cheaper.

Go for it.

Bernard

6. brntorng

brntorng 2,500+ Posts

Similar experience here. Some observations after several years of ownership: There are times when they're fun to have, but can get to be a drag as a primary vehicle. Noisy interior even with the top up wears on you during longer trips. In the middle of the day during warm weather with the top down it's like being in a frying pan. Even if it's not terribly hot, you can get a sunburn. Top down is generally limited to early mornings and evenings when it's cooler and the sun is low in the sky. Many women (and probably some men) don't like having their hair blown into a rat's nest of tangles or even messed up a bit. I, too, had a thief cut the top to steal some inexpensive items. You're best to just leave it unlocked and put any loose items in the trunk. Never park under a tree with the top down or birds will start target practice. Tops need replacing periodically due to sun and weather. Most are not as safe as a hardtop in a rollover. Bottom line is it was fun for a while, but I was glad to get rid of it.

7. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

I drove a Honda S2000 every day for almost 2 years in Austin. I had the top down if the temperature was anywhere between 40 F and 100 F, as long as it wasn't raining. On extremely hot days, the heat was only a problem at stoplights, and it was admittedly damn near suffocating, even with the AC blasting. The heater kept up except when it got pretty cold. I thought it was a blast, and I'll probably buy another one in the next few years.

One big upside to a convertible is "mood". As long as the weather wasn't too extreme, I got to work happier. Seriously. They're just a lot of fun to drive.

8. UTEE

UTEE 1,000+ Posts

9. po elvis

po elvis 250+ Posts

when i bought my Jeep Wrangler, my insurance company told me it would be an extra $5k a year to insure it. they had some kind of extra convertible fee. it was their way of not insuring convertibles. i had to switch to another company.

of course, 2 years later it was stolen and my insurance company had to fork over the whole price of the vehicle so maybe the first insurance company knew what the hell they were doing.

10. Hellraiser97

Hellraiser97 500+ Posts

I have a 1994 Mustang GT convertible and I wouldn't trade it for coupe not matter what.

The road noise isn't bad. Most times people with convertibles complain about bad road noise, it turns out to be the tires, not the top.

The only extra 'maintenance' Ican think of is that the Texas Sun will destroy a top in 4-6 years if you park it outside all the time. My baby is still on her first top, but I garaged it alot. That being said, it is now time for a new one.

As for the heat thing, if you have a good AC, it isn't a problem. I'll usually drive with the top down, then kick on the AC if I'll be stopping for any length of time. Sure it's not going to cool down like a coupe would, but it will make it comfortable.

The only thing I might recommend against is leather seats. I didn't really want them, but I bought my car used in '97 and it had them. They are awesome, except when it gets hot as hell out.

My baby is sitting in a garage in Dallas while I am exiled to NYC. Pretty much from May to September, not a day goes by that I don't miss her.

11. AuburnTexas

AuburnTexas 100+ Posts

I would get one only if it were your 2nd car (weekend car).

12. LordHornAustin

LordHornAustin 100+ Posts

LadyHorn and I have been renting them on trips and I got to be where you are now. I wanted one. In October I had the opportunity to quickly sell my old car and happened upon a used 2005 Ltd Crossfire Roadster. I've been thoroughly enjoying my drive time ever since. I put the top down whenever it's not raining and the temp outside is above 60 degrees. The sun doesn't bother me - I just put a hat on when it's beating down too much. The hat also solves the problem of my hair being a mess when I get to work or wherever else I am going.

I will keep buying convertibles from now on. I guess it's a matter of preference, but I think it's a great car to have in Austin. I see convertibles all over the place when i dirve, so I know there are plenty of people who have no problem with the heat.

13. VoodooChi|d

VoodooChi|d 500+ Posts

IMO I wouldn't get one that wasn't a hard top convertible. These are pretty common nowadays. No ragtop though...

14. SuperHero

SuperHero 500+ Posts

I have a 1993 Miata and a 2005 Accord. When I lived in Austin, the Miata was the secondary car. But now in CA, it's my daily driver with the Accord relegated to longer trips.

Like others said, the cabin will always be louder with a soft top. The top will have to be cleaned and sprayed with protectant, but it's a LOT less work than waxing. Most likely the top will last you 8 years before you have to replace it -approximate $1,000 for labor and material (including seals) You'll also learn not to keep anything valuable in the car lest someone cut it. I usually leave mine unlocked and put anything of value in the trunk.

15. Aquaman

Aquaman 100+ Posts

I had a similiar experience with my convertible to most of the previous posts.

Will this be your primary vehicle? This is the big question in my book.

For me, I will only buy another convertible when I'm in a position to use the convertible as a second vehicle. I want a regular car to drive whenever conditions dictate that a convertible would be inconvienent, uncomfortable, etc. You will have issues: whether it be a leak, tear, mechanical problem, etc.

I miss my converible more than I can tell you, but I will not buy another one until I can make it a second-car...

16. ScoPro

ScoPro 1,000+ Posts

My son has one of these which he drives to work once or twice a week and on weekends:

[​IMG]

17. sessamoid

sessamoid 500+ Posts

I've had the S2000 since they first came out, which makes mine more than 6 years old. The poster who mentioned getting to work happier is spot on. I'm just happier when I'm driving with the top down, which is pretty much all the time. The S2000 is not only my daily driver, but my only car (no kids). I've never had to do anything more than regular maintenance and oil changes to this car. I may add an RDX soon, though.

18. miguelito

miguelito 250+ Posts

My parents take the scenic route through the hill country from SA to Austin for the football games with the top down.

Re: the heat. You're a Texan, right? Are you bothered by heat? As mentioned, it only gets 'bad' when you're stopped at a light or something, but you'd expect that so it's not a big deal.

19. NoleHorn

NoleHorn 25+ Posts

Heat???

Yea it really sucks with the top down Oct through April. And if your not a nansy pansy then it is still great through the summer. I had a amazing time driving my jeep Saturday night through some country roads.

If Texas is bad for convertables then how many states are good for them?

20. CleverNickname

CleverNickname 500+ Posts

get one of those new extended jeeps. The only 4 door convertible on the market in decades.

21. OrangeBlooded

OrangeBlooded 500+ Posts

grab one. i still own a topless camaro. i left the top down on it for 6 months straight while in college (10 years ago), rain or shine. it's pure gold amongst my friends and still topic of conversation. the same car, had it had a top, would get near nowhere the same mileage, if you catch my "drift"

22. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

My only convertible (when I was much younger) was a 1966 Corvette. Wind noise was outrageous at highway speeds. Fortunately I had the removable hardtop, which I used in the winter. You get your money's worth on those beautiful spring and fall days when you can drive around town with the top down (but not at highway speeds - much too much wind noise). Was I glad I had it? Yes. Was I glad to sell it? Yes. Never again as an everyday vehicle, but I'm at an age where I would only consider it as a second car after I retire.

HornHuskerDad [​IMG] [​IMG]

23. Ankf00

Ankf00 250+ Posts

i was stuck with a Solara convertible rental in January right after a blizzard came through Denver. Surprisingly the soft top retained heat pretty well, I didn't think there was a problem with road noise below 75mph, and I didn't notice excessive chassis flex either.

24. ryskey

ryskey 100+ Posts

I drove my friend's '74 Chevy Blazer (probably not the type of convertible you're talking about) for a while in undergrad when my project car was out of commission. The bolt-on top was such a pain in the *** so I always left it off. Big god damn tires, big block under the hood, loud exhaust, and nothing but a roll bar over my head. That was the most obnoxious thing I've ever driven, and I loved every minute of it.

25. bigup2dahorns

bigup2dahorns 250+ Posts

if it is something you want to check off your list in life of things you have done, then go for it. i've owned 3 convertibles but from now on i would only have one as a secondary vehicle. they are fun, for sure, but not ideal for everyday driving for some people. in the summer in dallas, i can only imagine going top down late at nite or early in the AM. the humidity has been terrible lately. and you certainly have to put the top back up every time you park, with the car crime rate.

26. Luke Duke

Luke Duke 1,000+ Posts

Just get one of these, put on your wolf shirt, and cruise around town. The hoes will jump in at every red light.

[​IMG]

27. Luke Duke

Luke Duke 1,000+ Posts

Sorry to kill your thread, Jive. I guess that everyone agreed with me and realized that nothing more needed to be said.

28. UTEE

UTEE 1,000+ Posts

In college I had an '83 Mustang convertible, and my wife currently drives a Toyota Solara convertible that I love.

My next convertible will be one of these:

[​IMG]