Coronavirus

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Clean, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

2. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I don't know if I mentioned this but I now have taken both of the Moderna vaccines. I had what my wife called an immune system outrage reaction to the second shot. Along with a rash that developed, my lymph nodes under my armpit, above my clavicle and my love handle (no lymph node but still) BLOW UP like you wouldn't believe. The one under my armpit was very painful. I couldn't sleep on that side. It's been two weeks and it's still very large. I went to the doctor just to be sure and it was like I was show and tell. The whole office wanted to know the story. I was the guy that made them say, "We haven't seen that kind of a reaction before.

Supposedly, all is well as I continue to pop down the Motrin. I avoided it the first five days per the instructions I received from the vaccinators.

I also had a slight fever and zero appetite for a couple of days. It was way more than I expected. But apparently, my immune system doesn't like that sh*t...

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
  3. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

I already had the 'rona, and I'll take my chances again, just like I have with every other coronavirus that I have not been vaccinated against.

Or, to translate for some of you, what we call being an American with freedom to choose.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  4. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Wow, glad you’re getting through that By.
    I’m in same thought process Hornin, had it in August, antibody positive in Oct and November so not planning on getting the vaccine, even the single dose. Hopefully it will not affect my life as a ‘non’ vaccinated human being.

5. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Just as a point of interest, I was told to keep my vaccination card record with my passport as they said it was possible we would be asked for it in the future when we travel abroad. I was also advised to take a picture of it which I did.

New guidelines now for me are as follows:

1) I can mingle freely with other vaccinated people sans mask/distancing in our homes.
    2) I can mingle with non-vaccinated people in our homes as long as they are not high risk, meaning they should be safe around me.
    3) I should still follow some sort of prudent caution out in public (in bars, restaurants, movies etc). This is probably because there will be those who will challenge me for not wearing a mask.

I am very fit and young looking for my age (62) and was called out by one of the security men when I got my vaccine. He said, "What are you doing here?" I told him I had cancer twice so I was cleared.

That was cool.

• Like Like x 2
  6. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

There is a reason I refused to live IN the City of Austin when I was working over there...I liked my little pocket of unincorporated Travis County between Rollingwood and West Lake Hills. It ALSO meant my grocery store did not have to follow those stupid plastic bag bans that the City insisted upon...

• Like Like x 2
  7. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

No, but from glancing at his website, he is probably a Lifestyle Medicine doc. We're doing two projects with Lifestyle med practices. We 99.9% in Texas, but have these two projects in Delaware and California with Lifestyle guys.

8. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

My specific opinion on this is that the pandemic requires a "team approach" to behaviors. This became so politicized so quickly (imo by Trump) that many Republicans REACTED against a team approach.

How I implement a team approach is based off where state and federal constitutions say the teams lie. The USA should not mandate mask wearing based on my reading of the consitution. The states can based on their constitution. At the state level, you have to have a team approach. Agreeing at the state level to how counties make decisions was the best team approach.
    County A - when active cases reach X% of the county pop, mask mandates and occupancy limits go into effect. When hospitals in the county reach Y% of capacity, mask mandates and occupancy limits go into effect. State (team approach) criteria given to the counties (team approach) to facilitate.

But Republican Governor/Democratic County officials got into a pissing match and screwed the pooch on a team approach.

Other states aren't as large geographically. They don't need the diversified decision making like we do.

I believe we should have gotten rid of the state wide mandate ASAP, so counties could run their own team. So, in general, I'm very Republican about this. BUT...all Abbott had to do was wait until they opened up vaccinations to all populations as proof that every high risk elderly, etc has had the opportunity to get vaccinated. IMO, he missed the mark on where it would make sense. I have 70+ parents who are republican, but don't want their friends to die before they get a vaccine. It pissed them off. Maybe it's just optics...

9. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

in real life, regardless of our discussion. i'm sorry for your losses.

that's more important to me than if we all agree in our debates.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

X Misn Tx. I consider the teams need to be more granular. Private property owners and individuals. That is who the Constitutions give rights to, meaning state constitutions. Texas violated its own Constitution for almost a year.

But that doesn't mean nothing should be done. It means we allow people to make their own decisions over the spheres that they have ownership over. The government doesn't own me or you or the business I work in. Anything else is violating rights and sets precedent for more and more intrusions. Once we as people give away our power it will take much more time and energy to get it back. We are one step closer to slavery in my opinion, because now all a governor or mayor has to do to justify violating rights is to claim there is some crisis. There is always something going on that can be considered a crisis. The news media aren't interested in truth or honesty. So we can't count on them to expose government overreach or educate us on what is really going on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

yes, i understand. don't philosophically disagree. but public health requires a larger team approach. personal responsibility during a pandemic is irrelevant. but let me explain...

we don't have to argue on here anymore that covid has been the reason (not the only reason, like a person with the flu might normally heal, but with flu and covid dies...) of hundreds of thousands of deaths

The basic concepts of our constitutional rights are formed around certain rights and liberties. These should be maintained at great cost. But not at all cost imo. Any society gives up liberties to exist together. Our constitutions and legal system are meant to construct the liberties we give up for the good of a society.

Without having anyone throw the baby out with the bathwater, I won't use a specific # of deaths from the pandemic. But we must ask ourselves, in a society that does, in fact, choose to give up certain liberties (how fast i get to drive my car) for the safety of others, how many deaths justifies mandates/orders meant to restrict individual liberties? what is that number? we do it all over the place for safety. In real life, how many deaths would we consider to be too many, so that I would defer to the common good...showing my face?

If you're a true libertarian, you'll argue me that there shouldn't be a speed limit, or restaurant health inspectors that force business owners to conduct their business safely through numerous constraints to their liberties. But in society, we know that those constraints to individuals and business owners are outweighed by the common good.

So we agree that there ARE TIMES when we are willing, for the good of the society, to accept restraints. imo, a pandemic that has been part/caused the death of hundreds of thousands are worth trying, even if they end up being minimally effective, is one of those times. again, this is my opinion.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
  12. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

13. humahuma

humahuma 1,000+ Posts

There is an article in yahoo finance that states people are canceling or no show 20-30% of their vaccine appointments. Sometimes unused vaccine expire and disposed of. Still don’t know if I going to get vaccinated.

14. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Go to CVS around 5 pm. You will likely get vaccinated within 3 days due to unused vials.

15. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

There's also a process argument. If Abbott was going to issue mandates and orders to businesses and individuals, he would have had greater legitimacy if he had convened a special session of the legislature to create statutory authority for what he sought to do.

16. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Liberal stupid logic. Sure, making $5 per hour more makes you feel safer or somehow better. If you are afraid to come to work for the money you're paid then quit because more money won't fix the emotional problems nor make you safer. Maybe anyone who simply works in LA deserves hazard pay corona or not.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

HEB did hazard pay. But not stupid $5/hr. They did $2/hr on their own.

When the jumps are extreme there will be consequences. But extreme plays to the far (pick a side) bases.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Our group has vaccinated about 14k. We've seen no significant reactions. We've seen symptom driven covid testing drop from 10-15 a day in our clinic to about 5 per week. It's making a difference. The nurse said the biggest success story she witnessed was a 500 lb positive guy with COPD who only had 2-3 days of symptoms. He'd had the vaccine. If you're worried about the Pfizer/Moderna, get the Johnson and Johnson one. My MBA tells me that the protection on the mRNA vaccines are going to last longer than the live virus ones. But, I have no real idea.

19. utahorn

utahorn 500+ Posts

COVID is SEXIST - Women in tech have been set back '10 to 20 years' by working from home during the pandemic - TechRepublic

Who knew? I thought that COVID impacted everyone. The more you know.....

I teach IT Networking and Security from home and have been doing so long before COVID. I have male and female students with and without children, with and without spouses. Sometimes students cannot attend due to weather, internet or family issues and I make allowances as long as assignments are turned in. We have class Monday through Thursday so students have Friday - Sunday to watch recordings, work on labs, quizzes and send me emails to ask questions.

What I do not understand is why some are using COVID as an excuse for not moving forward in their career field. My wife has been working from home for a year and has been very successful. She is one of the most awesome people I know. Not sure what she sees in me.....

Not once has a student in any of my classes claimed to struggle because of their sex.

IT is and has been a white-male dominated field since I started in 1980 but it does reach out to women and minorities like few other fields.

I'm just really puzzled by this article.

20. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Bubba are you saying that guy tested positive after getting the vaccine? How long after?

21. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Shortly after getting the second I think. It is 5% ineffective at its best. But a guy like that with minimal symptoms was shocking to her.

22. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

Then you're just making excuses for tyranny. Public health doesn't nullify rights or the need for people to make decisions for their own life.

23. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

24. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

You confuse privileges with rights. I am talking about rights as codified in constitutions and in human nature. I am not talking about complete freedom to do anything and everything. Protecting myself and other from a virus needs to be done in a way that doesn't violate rights. We need more freedom to choose not less. The COVID-19 pandemic shows that. We just tried lockdowns and mask mandates. It caused economic destruction, suicide, drug overdose, projected millions more dieing from cancer due to delayed/canceled screening, etc. All for 400,000 deaths. The 500,000 number crosses different seasons and years. This is part of the problem even the information presented about the virus is tainted with error.

I agree we must change our behavior in careful and effective ways, but we didn't do that last year.

25. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Our expert at Johns Hopkins says it takes 4-6 weeks to build up immunity from the vaccine after getting the second shot. It's not immediate immunity. If they tested positive a few days after then that's probably why.

26. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

Damn, the vaccine works worse than the disease itself.

27. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

28. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

??? Didn’t read all of the article but just how do you determine you’ve prevented an asymptomatic infection?

29. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

This is the Doc that gave me the hydroxychloroquine and good talk about how he got shut down.

30. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Pfizer is working with Israel health care to follow cases. Basically the entire country is a case study. So they know how many asymptomatic cases are going on in the general population. Presumably they are randomly testing folks for covid to catch the asymptomatic cases.