COTA

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Texas Taps, Mar 14, 2013.

1. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

More from a very wet ALMS/WEC Friday at COTA.

The Link

Here are a few:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

BTW, Thanks guys for all your hard work trying to make this thing run better.

Vance just posted some of the new transportation plan:
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.716935848320963.1073741910.157330087614878&type=1

Also, you might want to check out the comments in the Autoweek article:The Link

3. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

Will there be shuttles for the USGP this year? First Vance found this:

https://www.facebook.com/FoF1ATX/posts/718033318211216

Then just a few minutes ago John Maher & the Statesman released this article about roads with the following quote from COTA spokeswoman Julie Loignon:
    The Link

4. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

There will be shuttles. We will be running the same number as last year from our end. I don't know what number is tasked from the charters but I would assume the same. I figure this because the local buses are tasked to fill out what the others don't or cannot. That number is the same.

So if there is a call for less buses and the charters from further away no longer deem it profitable to drive across the country to do this race for a weekend, the numbers are the same. If some bailed, we fulfilled the lower number.

All I know at this time is we are sending the same amount as last year. I don't know about lots or anything like that but I should be seeing that soon.

5. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Vance did not fully research the quote from R&R.

6. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

Thanks l00p. We found a partner's reference that says something about free shuttles being available only to GA ticket holders. You hear anything like that? Seems weird.

Anyway, I posted a gallery of my Houston GP pics ... https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.719194724761742.1073741912.157330087614878&type=1

Preview:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Thanks for the pictures Mandingo. Guess you were not in the prime position for the incident on Sunday.

8. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

I was, for the start of the race. Watching the cars step out when they hit that bump on the inside of 5 and looking at the level of fencing and the distance from the track, I decided we should move on down the road during that first caution. So yeah, we were there for about two laps, but not for the big one.

It seems like NASCAR & IndyCar won't get serious about fan safety until some spectators get kilt.

9. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

No, I have heard nothing about that. Then again, they may not tell us who we are carrying. The set up and control the lines. Our guys drive 'em. I sit and pray they don't have an accident. I will ask and see what others know, if I remember. Lots going on recently.

10. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

We're starting to think this plan is "fluid" at the moment, as Chip Brown would say, and that they're purposely waiting as long as possible to announce it.

11. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Latest from down under: Link

12. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

COTA has finally released its schedule of events for the 2013 USGP:

The Link

Quality is up to their usual impeccable standards.

13. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

#F1 #USGP: Pretty sparse action. Only 4 hot-track sessions Fri, 4 Sat, & 2 Sun. Now we know why they put off this announcement for so long.

14. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

The undercard is always a take it or leave it proposition.

15. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

Maybe, but now we see why they put off this announcement for so long. I'm sure some of the few people who already bought tickets for this thing are probably wishing they hadn't about now. That's a pathetic lineup. If they'd do better they could probably sell a lot more tickets.

But oh well. No surprise really I guess.

16. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

No they do not know what they are doing, and they will lose a meaningful of attendees for future USGP's if it rains. However since most who buy tickets to the USGP do not even know there could be other racing, as long as the USGP comes of they could care less.

If people cared they would not put up with the ancillary and food pricing.

17. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

Indeed.

Judging from the sales numbers we're hearing though, I think a large number of people were alienated by last year's experience.

18. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

Wow.

After telling people yesterday that tickets would be FedExed tomorrow, apparently COTA is now saying they'll be sent "in the next week or two".

Also, responding to complaints about the lack of support races, they're telling people to "expect more soon". So with 3 weeks to go they're still trying to line up support races and are saying they'll mail tickets in the next week or two?

Oh my.

19. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

As we suspected, looks like they might be planning to charge for shuttle lots. Tickets not yet on sale:
    The Link

ETA: Hmm...looks like the TicketMaster pages for these lots have been removed.

FM 812 Yellow Lot:

[​IMG]

Moore Rd Orange Lot:

[​IMG]

20. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Pre event meeting coming up. I don't have my dayplanner with me (sort of on purpose forgot it at work) but it's soon, really soon. Should be interesting.

21. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

Hope it goes well! I wouldn't mention talking to me if I were you. I'm not exactly popular with the COTA brass.

22. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

Shuttle Lot purchase & other transportation info:

The Link

The Link

Much better deal than they've offered for parking in their lots before, assuming the prices are per car and not per person. Doesn't say either way to my knowledge. The track shuttle plan seems a little lacking if you wanna get from the Main GS or Turn 1 to Turn 11.

23. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

That's the focus of what we are meeting about, the inside shuttle deal. Also to sort out disabled peeps. Must remember to have coffee with me.

Harlarrious laughter at not mentioning you. I shan't.

24. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

Pretty thorough article here regarding the new transportation plan, by Ben Wear, the Statesman's transportation columnist:

The Link

ETA: Sorry, didn't know that was behind the stupid paywall...Here's one that's just as good:
    The Link

25. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

******* COTA.

Their own website says if you wanna use their pay shuttle lots "You can purchase in advance here or pay cash at the lot". An hour ago they tweeted this:

Circuit of Americas @circuitamericas
    @markwimmer Hey Mark, we won't be offering cash parking at our Red and Yellow lots. You'll need to purchase passes in advance.

...and get this. As of 0930, their back gate on Elroy Road was closed with cars trying to get in. SVRA Vintage racing started at 0800. Reminds me of when they still had the gate locked between the bridges an hour into V8 Supercars until a guy tweeted about it.

The SVRA event this weekend at COTA is incredible. Went out yesterday & was blown away by the cars. Was not blown away at all by being locked out of 3/4 of the track. The fans can only access T15-18 and the Main GS to T1. Unreal.

26. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

If I assume you will link up some more fantastic photos this go round would I be setting myself up for the sads?

27. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

I'll have you some. I'm still sorting the good from the crap.

28. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

COTA not on SCCA 2014 schedule:

29. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

So I took my boys out to COTA for the SVRA Vintage Racecar National Championships. I ended up with an album 2x as big as even my typically large albums, but there were so many amazing cars and so much racing this weekend, I just couldn't keep it down to a reasonable size.

There were some truly historic racing machines there. See how many cars you can identify. Fans were restricted to T15-18 & the Main GS - T1, which took away many of the best photo shooting areas. I got the best angles I could with what was available.

The Link

There was a little bit of everything running out there. F1, IndyCar (even one from 1911), LMP, DP, NASCAR, Can Am, Sportscars, Muscle Cars, small sedans, Minis, & more you can't see in the samples:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

Have you rented an RV space from COTA? Hope you have an onboard generator.

This was just posted on another forum. Oy.