CS on AM's 'Swagcopter'

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by YearOfTheSteer, Feb 7, 2014.

1. YearOfTheSteer

YearOfTheSteer 500+ Posts

2. YearOfTheSteer

YearOfTheSteer 500+ Posts

A&M's latest recruiting "gadget":

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. dillohorn

dillohorn Guest

4. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

Yeah, this has gotten a lot of press. The talking head on the Ticket 760 (Jeff Sheen?) in San Antonio on NSD was making a big deal out of it. According to him the ags are kicking our asses in recruiting, so we're making excuses.

Personally, I don't think Strong meant it as an insult to aggys. He just answered the question honestly.

Strong is going old school with lots of rules; live on campus for 3 years, sit on the first row, don't cut class, etc. Sumlin is all swag, bling, and helicopters. Strong is running a Marine Boot Camp and Sumlin is running Snoop Dog's Party Ranch. Given the two schools reputations, it seems like Strong should be at atm and Sumlin here. We'll see who wins. Honestly, with today's kids, I don't like our chances over the long haul.

5. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

^ True. Today's kids do seem to be more about style than substance. We'll see how it goes.

Of course, we could have a fleet of choppers if we wanted them. Just sayin' ...

6. agssuk

agssuk 1,000+ Posts

7. IvanDiabloHorn

IvanDiabloHorn 1,000+ Posts

The Swagcopter was a brilliant recruiting move. Hard to believe it came from aggy. aggy is selling success, we are selling three years in a dorm. We wont win that battle. In fact, we didn't win that battle. Hopefully, we are not showing up on recruiting visits in a Prius.
    First rule in selling, sell yourself as successful.

8. agssuk

agssuk 1,000+ Posts

They all get rides in a helicopter?

9. IvanDiabloHorn

IvanDiabloHorn 1,000+ Posts

Only 5 stars get a ride in the Swag copter with the MFWIC.
    4 stars only get to sit in it on the ground. Ha!

10. Bevo-Stevo

Bevo-Stevo 1,000+ Posts

The folks in Aggieland are delusional.

They've had a couple of good years and things are going well. But, sipping an occasional glass of wine does not make one a connoisseur. How many BCS bowls have they won lately? How many have they even played in? How many titles do they have (not including the fake ones on their wall of lies)? What is their overall record against the Flagship University of this state? I love that Coach Charlie is taking jabs at them....they are more than overdue and well-deserved.

In 2-3 years tops, this coach will right the ship and Texas will once again resume its spot among the echelon of college football. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. zork

zork 2,500+ Posts

how long of a drive is it for recruits to drive or be driven from the airport in houston?(helicoptering to the relatively remote B/CS area might make sense)

12. PropositionJoe

PropositionJoe 2,500+ Posts

1) the second picture is a photoshop. there's no "yessir" on the helicopter

2) recruits dont take trips in the helicopter. it's just there so sumlin and whomever he takes with him can get to games quicker.

13. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

14. PropositionJoe

hadnt noticed that

landing must be a ***** [​IMG]

15. utempire

utempire 1,000+ Posts

So aggy is hot right now thanks to Manziel and his heisman. If you look at who they have beaten the last two years and it's not much. They have beaten only 2 good teams, Alabama and ou which was the previous season while last year they lost every notable game in the sec. They have had the easiest non-conf schedule in history the last 2 years as well. This recruiting class will help them but I still don't see them winning their big games next year either. Now if UT has a good season next year things will swing back the other way.

16. tejas77

tejas77 1,000+ Posts

What's funny is if we used one aggy would be calling us arrogant for doing so.

Nice catch on the skids Taps. I never noticed that before.

17. KevinC

KevinC 100+ Posts

Look closer. They are two completely different aircraft. [​IMG]

18. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

19. dalhorn1

dalhorn1 1,000+ Posts

aggy has to strike while the iron is hot, or else the 'swagcopter', etc. will revert back to their normal place in the sun.

Winning the big one is hard enough for power programs with a history of dominance. It's harder for the aggy programs of college football, maybe even perpetually elusive.

20. PropositionJoe

the top one is the one i've seen repeatedly in pictures.

21. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

22. dalhorn1

dalhorn1 1,000+ Posts

That's it, Viper. aggy isn't selling success- they're selling swagger/illusion of success.
    How many programs have won titles based on 'swagger'? I'd say 1- Miami, and they had more than just swagger.

aggy is no Miami.

23. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

Aggy is not the first to use a helicopter. Gary Pinkel has leveraged one for at least a few years @ Mizzou. I remember him dropping into a HS game of a kid that both Mizzou and Nebraska were recruiting. From memory, Pinkel won that recruiting battle thus it certainly does impress the kids.

FWIW- The kids CAN'T ride in the helicopter per NCAA rules. They merely get to take picture and sit in it on the ground.

24. Hook 'Em Danno

Hook 'Em Danno 1,000+ Posts

25. bck031

bck031 1,000+ Posts

26. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

27. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Aggys and helicopters.....that's a recipe for disaster. [​IMG]

28. jayakris

jayakris 2,500+ Posts

29. jmtamu

jmtamu 250+ Posts

I'm not even sure what a "gadget" program is, but all recruits these days are into Twitter, Facebook, Youtube, etc and A&M is doing a great job using all of that to connect with and relate to them.

Sumlin said he started using the helicopter so he could attend HS football games in Houston and Dallas after Friday afternoon practices because it was impossible for him to drive and make it on time and then get back for at a reasonable time to prepare for a Saturday game. As it turns out, the recruits love it so he's going with it. Perception is reality and the recruits are seeing A&M and Sumlin as the cool school.

ESPN College Football Live today basically ripped Strong for his comments.

The Link

As an Aggie, I'll take Sumlin's swagger over Strong's military style any day because it's pretty obvious which resonates with recruits these days.

30. Horn69

Horn69 2,500+ Posts

So Agg...I'm guessing you relate positively to Obama too? I like that!

Hook'em!!! [​IMG]