Dan's Hamburgers

Discussion in 'Around Austin' started by vtaenz, Sep 11, 2008.

1. vtaenz

vtaenz 500+ Posts

Dan's Hamburgers on South Congress. I'm thinking about going there tonight and I've never been there before. I wanted some feedback on where they stack up versus some other places I've been namely P.Terry's, Mighty Fine, Dirty Martin's.

2. Texas0407

Texas0407 500+ Posts

If I'm ranking those four, it looks like this...

1. P. Terry's
    2. Dan's
    3. Mighty Fine
    4. Dirty Martin's

I'd put Dan's on the same level as Sandy's on Barton Springs.

3. slobhorn

slobhorn 25+ Posts

I thought Fran's was on South Congress. Dan's is on Lamar between North Loop and 2222. Burgers are good but the best thing there is their breakfast which is other-worldy. Top 5 diner in the entire country IMO and most of it for under $5. They are definitely gringo-style but their breakfast tacos after a night of drinking are one of God's greatest gifts.

4. parkerco

parkerco 500+ Posts

I nursed many a hangover at Dan's with the double jalepeno cheeseburger and a chocolate shake. Of course this was 20 years ago so who knows if it is still good, but it hit the spot back in ancient times.

5. Bevo Incognito

Bevo Incognito 5,000+ Posts

The shakes are still awesome.

6. GarCiaRia

GarCiaRia 100+ Posts

Frans on South Congress...Dans on Manchaca and Ben White. Both are excellent. You're right about breakfast....wow.

7. Skipper

Skipper 100+ Posts

I shouldn't mention this, but Dan's in Buda near Cabela's is IMO as good as or better than the Austin locations. And their breakfasts pack 'em in.

8. vtaenz

vtaenz 500+ Posts

What breakfast at Fran's should I be looking into then? What's the hot item to order for morning?

I forgot about Sandy's, I heard some good thing's about it.

9. slobhorn

slobhorn 25+ Posts

10. TxStHorn

TxStHorn 1,000+ Posts

Top Notch

11. vtaenz

vtaenz 500+ Posts

What's this Top Notch you speak of?

12. unpaintedhuffhines

unpaintedhuffhines 1,000+ Posts

really?

I had a double at P Terrys for lunch today. Delicious.

13. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts

P Terry's was my post-Human Race meal. I was obviously not the only person with that idea. Really damn good.

14. vtaenz

vtaenz 500+ Posts

Well I'm just trying to hit all the burger places in Austin. I've lived here my whole life yet somehow managed to miss out on these burger joints so I'm making up for lost time.

15. beehorn

beehorn 25+ Posts

My parents got engaged at the Dans on Ben White and Manchaca. No joke. I think I may have been conceived there.

No love for the Dan's onion rings? Medium Cheeseburger, side of O Rings and Chocolate shake. That's a lunch.

16. Turtle

Turtle 25+ Posts

Large-Doublemeat-Jalapeno-Bacon-Cheeseburger-extra mayo-no onions, Large onion rings, and Chocolate shake. MMMMMM that was our baseball gameday lunch in high school at Manchace/Ben White location. Ahhh the memories. Very good.

Funny, my mom worked at the then Dan's on Congress during early 70's as a rollergirl carhop.

17. AustinTejasFan

AustinTejasFan 1,000+ Posts

"I'd put Dan's on the same level as Sandy's on Barton Springs."

Excellent analogy. Both serve a good old greasy cheese burger.

Been eating at Sandy's since the '50s myself. My mother always took us to Sandy's on the way home from swimming in Barton Springs pool starting when I was ~9-10.

18. AustinBat

AustinBat 2,500+ Posts

The Down South burger at The Frisco and Top Notch are my favorites.

19. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

I had a cheeseburger at the new Hang Town Grill today (2222 and Burnet). It was fantastic. Definitely not your thin fast-food burger, but close to a half-pound of tasty goodness.

20. Not that Bob

Not that Bob 500+ Posts

I can not understand why this thread had any further entries after the two words..."Dirty Martin's."

21. vtaenz

vtaenz 500+ Posts

I ended up going with Sandy's last night. $3.69 special for the burger fries and a drink is something I couldn't pass up. It was pretty good too.

Also, NO MAYO on a burger EVER. It's mustard in Texas, never mayo.

22. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

23. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts

24. unpaintedhuffhines

unpaintedhuffhines 1,000+ Posts

25. vtaenz

vtaenz 500+ Posts

You're not forgiven.

26. chuychanga

chuychanga 500+ Posts

Dirty Martin's: Austin landmark, historic joint, ****** burgers. Not good at all.

27. Texas0407

Texas0407 500+ Posts

How have we all overlooked Burger Tex in this discussion?

28. ScoPro

ScoPro 1,000+ Posts

29. Not that Bob

Not that Bob 500+ Posts

Tough crowd.

30. mahone

mahone < 25 Posts