David Cutcliffe

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Pickle_Nuts, Feb 6, 2022.

1. Pickle_Nuts

Pickle_Nuts Will travel with tickets.

• Like Like x 4
  2. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Cut is Bobby Petrino without the motorcycle or bimbo. He may be the best QB coach living.

He was Peyton's OC in Knoxvegas and Eli's HC in Oxford. Then there is his last project, who he took from "who" to first round pick.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2022
  3. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

I guess Sark really wants Arch.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. LonghornDave

LonghornDave 1,000+ Posts

Or he wants really great quarter backs. Sark has learned from Sabin, bring in proven coaches to coach up the team and the coaches.
    We will know he has made it when you see Sark on AFLAC commercials.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

How long do these take to develop?

6. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Has the job even been created and posted yet?

7. Handler

Handler 1,000+ Posts

Mannings love Cutcliffe

8. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

I thought sark was supposed to be "The Quarterback Listener". Developer of NFL quality QBs.

9. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Yes.
    One whispers and one listens.
    Two separate skill sets.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Horn2RunAgain

I read something last spring that he connects with QBs like few other coaches can. Develops a healthy rapport , gains trust, then is able to coach them up.

If so, he's ceded that to cutcliffe if this hire is made. And if the hire is made, I really don't see sark's value here. It's not like we hired someone with Saban or Meyer's past performance as a head coach

• poop poop x 4
    • WTF? WTF? x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Might be that Sark can bring it that kind of talent. Guess we’ll see.

12. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Yeah, Saban is not known to hire ex-head coaches for assistants.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Horn2RunAgain

He's also been known to win MNCs. I see no similarities in Saban and sark

14. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I just wonder if there was ever a time when Saban hadn't won an MNC, when Saban the coach hadn't yet become Saban the legend. What do you think, @Horn2RunAgain ? Do you think it is possible that coaches change, grow, and improve during the course of their careers?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  15. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

I’m low-information on this compared to you guys, but it seems more like Sark knows and loves QB coaching and development, and thinks it’s absolutely critical to win, and would like to do it himself, but can only, as head coach at a major program, spend about 3% of his time on it, so he hires someone who can go full time to do it. Sark’s personal ability with QBs would play into choosing another coach with that ability, having that person’s respect, and being able to communicate effectively with similar vocabulary.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  16. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

Too much sensibility here, Sangre.
    No place for that kind of talk in the world of sports fandom.

I'll add...as it relates to Sark....dude has already shown more in his personal life and even this offseason to indicate more adaptability than anything we've seen in awhile. The kind of guy who can make the massive type personal change that he has...is just the sort who might reward patience and trust and prove to be able to do what you suggest.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Hot Hot x 1
  17. Horn2RunAgain

Good points, Sangre. I see differences in sark and Saban. When Saban was at msu, you could tell he was a defensive mastermind from interviews. I've never gotten the impression that sark was at Saban's level on any football topic. If sark had any success at Washington or SC I might be optimistic. But he hasn't been successful anywhere he's been.

And was he successful here last Year... Kansas?.... yeah.

Hopefully he turns us around but I have serious doubts. Serious doubts

Last edited: Feb 16, 2022
  18. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Don’t forget that DKR was 17-13 in the three years (Mississippi State & WA) before he came to Texas.

I believe the jury is absolutely still out on Sark and that he has a great opportunity to get this program going in the right direction. The recruiting coup he just pulled — after a 5-7 year — was certainly something to behold. I personally believe that 2023 will be the breakout year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

What gives me reason to overlook the mediocre results at his stops on the West Coast (for now), is that he was heavily affected by the alcoholism and got himself fired (and humiliated). That type of experience either breaks a man or improves him.

Sark owned up to it, humbled himself, improved himself, and worked himself back up from the bottom. From every single thing I am aware of, Sark improved as a man since his rock-bottom experience. At this time I am willing to project similar improvement in Sark as a coach, but I am not blind to your more pessimistic point of view.

One thing is for sure. We will have a much clearer picture after another couple of seasons.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Horn2RunAgain

DKR never had that Deer in the headlights look that sark had in Fayetteville when things began to go downhill. Never. When I saw him on the sideline with that clueless look when Ark took control of our ***, I began to believe the negative talk about him the UW guys mentioned.

ETA: when he didn't shitcan PK off the staff after Thanksgiving, it revealed ( to me) he isn't serious about winning. PK has no business being employed by the Longhorns after last season. We can hire the ghosts of Don Shula, Vince Lombardi, Chuck Knoll as "consultants" to help PK, it won't do a bit of good.

I expect a dead cat bounce next season. We can't lose to Kansas back to back years (can we?) so a lot of younger alums /exes will see it as a team back on the rise. I just see his tenure as yet another mediocre term by a coach who doesn't give a ****. I'd like to see some fire out of him (DKR, Akers, Stoops like stuff) but it's non existent on campus right now

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2022
  21. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

How would you know that?
    There was at least one publicized altercation with Josh Thompson leading to his portalling from the team.
    There may be more fire on campus then any of us are aware of.

22. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Speaking of fire on campus.
    I believe this guy is still around. :)

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. Horn2RunAgain

By the 5-7 record. Not to mention the way we lost to ou. 40 yard run up the middle, untouched. At the buzzer pretty much.

No fire. None. Show me some. Until then, we have Dr Feelgood at the helm , overcoming addictions and all. I don't care about that. I want a coach that can win. Sark doesn't bring that on his resume, nor did it reflect on the fine 5-7 record.

We used to be all about "We're TEXAS". Now we're hiring coaches with little to no success, expecting some different results than they've demonstrated in the past.

We should be dealing the cards here. Not going to the boneyard and crossing fingers

24. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Those players were coached up by a prior staff and maybe there was no fire to be lit there.
    Add in injuries and the best D players had moved on to NFL, etc.
    Maybe Sark saw what PK had to work with and understood.

25. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

Still disagree with you Horn2

We looked great with the best QB until he got hurt. And functioned with a gimp the rest of the way.

The way we lost to ouSUX was heartbreaking. But we also saw an awesome QB insert kick our *** that we didn't prepare for.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

Good leaders hire good managers and get out of their way. Only the best make good hires and when a bad hire proves itself as such, they know how to fire. Bad managers micromanage, don’t delegate, do their peoples’ job for them and fail. Sark is a leader of his team of managers. Getting bogged down as a position coach is a good way to fail.

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. Horn2RunAgain

Using your logic (on which I agree with) he should have fired PK.
    Given his poor record as a head coach at programs that could easily succeed, I don't see any reason he could be a success here

28. 1sahorn

1sahorn 1,000+ Posts

Sing it, Bo.

29. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

I believe that you will be singing a different tune by December of 2023 when, I predict, Texas will be selected as one of the four teams to be in the CFP. Until then and unless we have a better 2022 than most expect, you will be mostly correct…until you are not.

BTW, I personally admire Sark’s demeanor. He seems like an excellent administrator of a program. But that doesn’t mean that he isn’t passionate. He is. I believe that many missed a few of his meltdowns on the sideline this past season. And I mean “serious meltdowns.”

I also believe that his troubled background uniquely prepares him for the pressures of the Texas job.

Only time will tell but I am certainly not close to jumping off the bandwagon. Certainly not after the class he just signed, plus Ewers, plus the addition of Patterson and the likely addition of Cutcliffe.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  30. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Occasionally I see the random post critical of Sarks personal past.
    Gee, I wonder what is in their past, much worse than having an alcohol addiction issue- Id bet my 401k on that.
    I know I can top being an alcoholic with other issues that make alcoholism seem like amateur hour.
    I also know that my shameful past is just that. My past.
    A friend of mine refers to people like this as A Brood of Vipers

Last edited: Feb 16, 2022