Daylights saving time

Discussion in 'Quackenbush's' started by ptownhorn, Mar 13, 2011.

1. ptownhorn

ptownhorn 1,000+ Posts

Why?

I don't need it to be light until 9:30pm in the summer and I sure don't like it getting dark at 5pm in the winter.

Can't we just do away w/ it?

2. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

No kidding. It is utter nonsense.

I actually had a moronic cousin argue with me that it increased the number of hours of daylight to increase productivity (as if the sun gave a rat's *** about the folks in this country and their silly, knees bent, running about, advancing behaviour). IF IF IF it improved the safety of children going to school (which it doesn't) I would be in favor, but otherwise it's just inane.

3. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

i love it. You can get off work at 6pm and go for a run when the weather is still 75 and sunny. Or you can can get home from work and still play catch with your kids in the yard from 6 to 7 before dinner.

Love it especially this time of year when the weather is perfect. In Austin, it allows me to be outside while still light out with the best weather of the year.

Sure, it would be light from 6 to 8 without DSL in July, but it is also 100 degrees out.

4. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

i like dst, i just wished they kept it set this way all year.

5. Pogo

Pogo 250+ Posts

6. SunBurntOrange

SunBurntOrange 500+ Posts

All it did for me was make me an hour late for a meeting yesterday. [​IMG]

7. TheNewGuy

TheNewGuy 100+ Posts

I love still having a few hours of daylight left after work. There is nothing more depressing than stepping out of the office, seeing the darkness, and realizing you spent an entire spring day cooped up inside. I think it needs to stay that way all year long.

8. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

it's nice, if you plan ahead, you can get 18 in before dark in the summer after work.

9. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

10. ctrl+alt+del

ctrl+alt+del 500+ Posts

Do away with standard time. I don't care if I drive to work in the dark. I don't care if I get in a run in the dark before work. I do care if I leave work and it is dark outside. It's nice to see what I am grilling for dinner. At least I can bug out early from work and get 9 holes in. What purpose dose standard time serve? Why would college student care, most sleep late anyway.

11. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

So Daylight Savings Time is for golf? That seems to be to common theme amongst the posters on this thread.

12. mcbrett

mcbrett 2,500+ Posts

I love it too- going home in the dark is depressing.

And here's a factoid- because you shift the time that people are awake 1 hour closer towards the time when there is more sunlight available- the amount of energy saved, and consequently pollution- is amazing- and no I don't have the exact number with me but I'm sure a google search could help. So, think saved money, less pollution. [​IMG]

13. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

You do realize that just because time changes the amount of sunlight remains the same, that is a fact. I would argue that any amount of energy savings would be minimal at most. Amount of energy (pollution in your words) to cool down or heat up a buillding remains the same.

14. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

15. mcbrett

mcbrett 2,500+ Posts

Stat- Because many people run the AC regardless if they are awake or not. However, if there is more sunlight available when people are active- they tend to be outside more, use less lighting, tv etc.

16. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

I'm with Statalyzer. DST was invented before a/c anyway. The sun doesn't recognize DST here in the US.

17. A. BETTIK

A. BETTIK 1,000+ Posts

It is nice once a year to sleep in an extra hour. Other than that I can do without the hassle twice a year of having to fiddle with God knows how many electric clocks, all of which have the user interface of one of those mind blowing puzzles. Hmmm, I feel a Cactus Prior like story coming on over at Esther's Follies later tonight.