DB's etc

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by old65horn, Oct 27, 2019.

1. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

I need some help here. I do not understand why our receivers are almost always being grabbed, knocked off routes well down field, pushed and we seldom get a PI call. We never do the same. Is this because they are not coached to be aggressive or what? Brewer got cut in half well before the the ball arrived, right in front of the ref....no call. On CJ's Offensive PI, he did what the TCU DB did to him all game long, was that a legit call. I know it made no difference because Shack was down field, We never do the same. Is this because they are not coached to be aggressive or what.

On another unrelated issue, Coburn got called for roughing when he hit the QB a split second after he released the ball, could not hold up. Got called for roughing. A little later, Sam get leveled by a linebacker much later then Coburn and is slammed to the ground. Why no call for the hit on Sam. Is all this a continuation of the OSU game in the Strong era?

Some other things that hurt us. We won the penalty stat, by getting a lot more penalties.
    On 1st and goal just inside the10, we got a motion penalty moving us behind the chains. I think we had to settle for a FG, or it might have been the one we missed. On another drive, Angilau got another motion penalty on 1st down putting us behind the chains, I think we had to punt on the position. On Jones interception, a blind side block by Owens cost us 40 yards of field position. We ended up getting the ball inside our 20 instead on near the TCU 40. For the year, we are about -5 on Punt returns.

On the bright side, our volleyball team is looking good!

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
  2. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

IMHO, we got home-towned on a number of calls yesterday. Ultimately, it didn't matter. We would have lost a perfectly-called game.

3. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Their dbs were well coached about our route running tendencies. When Jake made his square in (loosely square) the DB had enough time to stop and come around Smith and step in front of him and intercept the ball. Sam was late on the throw. Timing was off and perhaps Jake could have subtly boxed him out better. There has to be better teaching there.
    In another instance with Duvernay, the DB was in front of his route already. duvernay decided to stop to be open and he was at that moment but Sam had already thrown the ball figuring duvernay would keep running-INT. Dbs were well coached.
    You could tell Sam was frustrated. He kept forcing the ball.

I watched Utah just to see if Rising was playing. No (maybe he has sit out a year)
    But I was impressed with their receivers they were so fast they got separation and made yards-after-catch their offense is very well in sync. This is exactly what we need Swift receivers that get open and separation with the ball being thrown on time that's what we need.

• Agree Agree x 2