Dead lift vs. Curl

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Hornfan#10, Dec 21, 2007.

1. Hornfan#10

Hornfan#10 25+ Posts

So, obviously Dead lift is the much more effective exercise, but a friend and I were having an argument the other day and I wanted to hear hornfans opinion.

Which of the 2 exercises would get you bigger more defined biceps?

2. ATXborn

ATXborn 25+ Posts

Since I always imagined deadlifts were a legs/back exercise primarily.. I would imagine curls would be best for defining your biceps. Am I entirely wrong on what a deadlift is or something? This question seems to easy.

3. Hornfan#10

Hornfan#10 25+ Posts

I agree with you, my friend proceeded to tell me I was an idiot for thinking that. He knows alot more about this stuff than me, but I'm almost positive I'm right here.

4. ldogg53

ldogg53 500+ Posts

curls...
    deadlifts are for your shoulders, traps, back, legs.... the only way your biceps would even get taxed by doing deads is if you are holding the bar wrong....

5. Longhorn Al

Longhorn Al 500+ Posts

You lock your elbows when dead lifting. I guess you could dead lift and then do a curl, but you'd be holding the bar wrong. Supposed to be an alternating grip.

6. rtchorn

rtchorn 250+ Posts

7. coopspoppa

coopspoppa 25+ Posts

i would like to hire your friend as a personal trainer

not

8. ERhine

ERhine 250+ Posts

ditto.

9. falloutboy

falloutboy 25+ Posts

well obviously curls train your biceps while DL does not. the only angle from which i could understand your friend is that, since you said 'defined,' DL is a better overall exercise, reducing your body fat % faster, thus 'defining' everything in your body faster. it's a stretch, but that's probably what he was arguing.

10. Jim Anchower

Jim Anchower 100+ Posts

I think if a person ONLY did deadlifts and another ONLY curls and they had the exact same genetic makeup that the deadlifter would have larger biceps. The deadlift will encourage the body to grow as a whole and it's not going to add mass only in the back, shoulders and legs - that is, there will be bodywide development. Also, gripping the massively heavy bar and bringing it up definately has some effect on your arms.

Just doing curls, it's going to be difficult to promote growth in one solitary area and nowhere else.