Deandre Baker - late Georgia flip to Texas?

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by YearOfTheSteer, Jan 27, 2015.

1. YearOfTheSteer

YearOfTheSteer 500+ Posts

Add him to the list of Florida recruits possibly on his way to Austin...

[​IMG]

The Link

2. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

3. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Yesssss! [​IMG]

4. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Wow, at this rate when the music stops on NSD, Charlie may be out of chairs for the guys still on the dance floor... some of these kids may want go ahead and commit unless they have silently already done so with CFS.

5. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Charlie is working.

6. jayakris

jayakris 2,500+ Posts

I don't think he is a commit, but I was pretty sure when he left after the OV that he was ready to flip if we asked him. I think we will take him only if we know that one of Hill or Boyd is not committing (or that Davante Davis will decommit to Auburn).

Hill/Boyd are set to announce on Friday, but I assume they will tell the coaches at least by Thrusday. Coach Vaughn went to Florida this morning to work on Davis.

The deal with Davante is that, much as Irvin wants him to visit this weekend and flip to Auburn, there may not be any spots left at Auburn for DBs, after Dinson committed there yesterday (and Carlton Davis still a possibility for them). The Auburn reporters have not been saying anything about Davante, which may mean that Muschamp and Tavaris may have moved on and not interested in taking on Charlie/Vaughn on Davante (my guess). I think there is a 65% chance that Davis will stick with us and may not even visit Auburn (or may go there to party with Irviin this weekend if Auburn lets him, but will probably tell Vaughn today what he is planning).

So, at this point, I am assuming that a Baker flip won't happen for a couple of days. If he flips right away from Georgia, that means Charlie knows something already about one among Hill, Boyd or Davante to surely not be in this class.

Baker is only 16 years old, it seems. Rather under-rated as a high 3 star, probably because he is still growing, but with a lot of upside potential. Will definitely red-shirt if he comes in, I would think.

7. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

If Charlie pulls this grand coup off, I will start referring to him as CFS.

8. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

9. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

10. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Or maybe just: Mister Strong

11. jayakris

jayakris 2,500+ Posts

Bedford and Vaughn are doing an in-home with Deandre Baker today. It seems they want to make sure that he is available to flip as needed, if we miss out on any of the spots among three DBs on the board now (Boyd, Hill, and commit Davis). Good to see the stick-it-to-itiveness from the staff. We need a few good CBs this time. There are only a couple of guys left on the CB depth chart for 2016 as of now.

Meanwhile, a curious story emerged last evenin. DB Sheldrick Redwine was widely reported to have decommitted from Lousiville. Some also reported that he committed to Auburn. Except a few hours later they all found that Redwine was unable to get hold of any of the Aubuirn coaches to make a commit. Totally screwed up stuff from Muschamp and Tavaris Jackson. I think Auburn knew that they were close to flipping Carlton Davis from Ohio State and bailed on Redwine. Poor guy. Now, we were holding our fort by sending Vaughn to babysit Davante Davis in Miami yesterday itself, so I assume Auburn couldn't have been bailing on Redwine because of a Davante Davis flip (my guess). Anyway, this morning Redwine tweeted - "All Rumors Of My De-commitment Were False And I Will Be Signing My Letter Of Intent On Feb 4 To The University Of Louisville". So it looks like Auburn got some mud on their face for messing around with Redwine.

We focused roundabout on an unconnected prospect in Deandre Baker, so we still have our cards with us. Redwine still has not officially cancelled the OV to us though, and he may still be a possibility for us. How did Charlie know that he had to be scheduled for this weekend, when it was done 4 weeks back? NIMBLE moves, like I said above!. I don't think he is going to visit, as of now, and he stayed committed to Loiuisville, but if we know for sure that we might miss TWO from among Hill/Boyd/Davis, count on Charlie moving heaven and earth to get Redwine to visit.

As for Baker, we may just get him to flip anyway and in the worst case have one player over-signed. It does look like there is only a very low chance for OL Ronnie Major to qualify, so we can actually go to 32 total instead of 31 quite safely.

12. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

How about Charlie Midas Strong or CMS?

13. jachorn

jachorn < 25 Posts

Let's hold off on the nicknames until this time, next week. I will agree I have never seen a coach work so hard at recruiting.

14. No le hace

No le hace 500+ Posts

The man is certainly proving to be gold. [​IMG]

15. 22 HORN

22 HORN 250+ Posts

always ready to take one from Ags but more from other sec members....

16. jayakris

jayakris 2,500+ Posts

Like I said, I have a feeling that Deandre Baker may just flip and commit, and if Davante Davis keeps dilly-dallying, he may not even have a spot in the end (if Hill/Boyd both commit). Just saw a rumor that FSU may be visiting Davante Davis today. Just when we felt Auburn may be out of the running, he lets FSU in to recruit him in an in-home? I am not sure the in-home is confirmed by FSU reporters, so we will wait and watch.

17. jayakris

jayakris 2,500+ Posts

Davante Davis did cancel his Auburn visit for this week, so that is good. BUT, it does seem like Florida State is set to do an in-home. It wasn't yesterday like the rumors said, but apparently they may be doing one tomorrow.

I just have not seen it at FSU websites but they are looking for one more DB (and have enough schols left), so they might circle back on Davis once more and see if they can get him. Miami and FSU are the other 2 places that Davante had done OVs at several weeks ago before committing to us. It seems Miami is totally out.

If he lets FSU do an in-home with him and keeps wavering, I won't be surprised if Charlie just cuts him loose and goes for Deandre Baker, as soon as he hears of the Hill/Boyd decision (which is also looking more and more like it's to us). Charlie will know where they are going after today's in-home with Boyd (he may already know!).

I believe Jason Higdon said yesterday that Davante's mom is all on our side. Which mom isn't? So maybe momma will put sense into him and ask him to stop messing around with this.

18. OldHippie

OldHippie 2,500+ Posts

19. jayakris

jayakris 2,500+ Posts

^^^ That will be only if he indicates today/tomorrow that he cannot promise he would come. We will then say something like this - " Sure we understand, when Jimbo wants to do an in-home, how can you tell him no? You should explore all options and be convinced. It's your career you know. Just that... you know we will be out of spots if Baker commits and all these other fellows commit, right? Baker has a commitable offer on the table. What do you want us to do, tell Baker to feel free to stick to his Georgia commitment? we can probably manage that. Tell us now, because we need to cancel our in-home with Baker if so. But you know we would rather have you stick and not give Jimbo trouble of taking the in-home. So, what do we do, man?" Something like that.

You cut somebody loose by forcing him to cut himself loose [​IMG] ... I am just saying. Guys like Charlie are used to doing this so many times, they will work it out without any issues. Fairly normal in the last week of recruiting.

20. jayakris

jayakris 2,500+ Posts

Davante Davis sounds upset that he has to stay with Texas or something [​IMG]
    He tweeted 45 min ago,
    @SaluteMe_103: I'm going to the University of Texas !!!!!!!! Can you people leave me alone ??

No idea who the "people" are! Recruiting repoorters? .... Anyway, looks like Charlie dropped the hammer and said, you're mine [​IMG] ... But I will still watch where this goes.

21. jayakris

jayakris 2,500+ Posts

Looks like Davante Davis did stick with us, after all. Good job by Vaughn and Charlie to hold off some very late interest from Florida State, after they prevented him from going for an Auburn visit (also helped by Auburn's schol crunch).

Horn247's Bobby Burton still says Deandre Baker is still in play and is a good possibility to flip. Meanwhile there is talk of JW Ketchum being interested as a safety, and we just offered Oregon 3-star commit PJ Locke. Pretty confusing at this point. Anyway, we don't seem to be done just yet on recruiting for the secondary.

22. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Charlie doesn’t sleep. He waits.