Dec 20 NSD Thread

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Dionysus, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  2. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Is it just me or does Rising look like he's confident and ready to kick some ***?

• Like Like x 2
  3. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

All good points, Bystander, but I don't want Herman to change a thing, especially if a 21 year old doesn't like it. The inmates don't run the asylum, and I would bet that Urban Meyer and Nick Saban (fill in your favorite kick *** coach here) are giving out milk and cookies at practice....

• Like Like x 1
  4. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I'm sure they are also very tough. Maybe it's the older players on the roster who don't like Herman's form of tough. Change, change, change. The big thing to me is the decision to play or not play certain players like Duvernay, Shane, Foreman etc... all talented players. Something was going on. I don't know what. Kids have a way of eluding the reasons for the consequences in their life and they like to complain about it. I suppose all programs have to deal with that to a certain extent.

We're stuck having to wait this one out. We have to believe in Herman and watch it work it's way through the process. I just hope he has the right coaches to develop the talent we're bringing in.

5. zuckercanyon

Everyone has talent, but the mindset is what is key.....I think there is only "love" from Herman if one gets on board with his program. You may be a "good kid" who "tried", but if it's not an effort/result to Herman's liking/vision, then it's not enough....see Chris Warren, Foreman....etc....

• Like Like x 1
  6. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

I’ve rarely had an issue with Bohls and I often agree with his takes. On Herman, he has been measured in his criticisms.

Brown is an opportunist who appears willing to write anything for exposure and clicks.

• Like Like x 1
  7. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Back to the comments attributed to Steve Buechele...

I had an epiphany regarding Herman. Let me reiterate that I was all-in on Herman and I will be very pleased when he turns this program around...hopefully very soon.

But...

Herman reminds me of Tony Robbins or any persuasive cult leader, not that Robbins is necessarily a “cult leader.” Whether it’s walking on hot coals or checking the color of one’s urine, these people are obsessive eccentrics who are, in general, completely inflexible. They believe that their way is the only way, and if you’re not 100% on board, then you are 100% against them.

Herman has a narcissistic gene that allows him to exist is an alternative reality. Perhaps that’s why he seems befuddled or edgy when a reporter, in a presser, asks a completely legitimate question.

I wouldn’t want to play for a coach like Herman but then again, I’m in my 60s. I suppose that most 18 year olds aren’t as cynical as I am.

(I’ve braced myself for the coming onslaught.)

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
  8. zuckercanyon

Duke,

I'll answer by saying that Herman's no different than any other successful coach at any level....I don't feel like the "hall of fame" coaches (win 70-80% of their games) are known for compassion or I'll throw in "coddling" or "let's have a show of hands to see how practice should go today". Great coaches have a vision, and that vision is not generally up for debate. Reporters are generally looking for a story, so a coach (I'll throw in Nick Saban) gets real tired really quickly of anything that seems to contradict the path the coach has envisioned for the team. I'd wager the lesser coaches (yes, Charlie Strong) are the ones that worry about off the field things more than on, how does everyone feel about it today, was some group bothered by anything we represent etc. It's about football, winning games (most of your games), and nothing else. If I get testy, it's whenever someone bashes a coach who wins a lot...."yeah, but how do you feel about this image or that?". Coach's job is to win, period. I want that at Texas. As soon as touchy feely gets involved, you're striving for mediocrity. Just thoughts...

• Like Like x 1
  9. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

10. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Zuck, I agree with your observations. Simply, there are some behavioral traits I see in Herman that really bother me. Traits I don’t like, and characteristics I didn’t expect to see, particularly in a first year, unproven HC.

The man could really use an injection of humility, but I don’t see it happening. His condescending treatment of a respectful press corps doing their jobs and asking legitimate questions is a very poor reflection on the man. At least Saban, Meyer and a few others have a reason to be smug and elusive. Herman doesn’t.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
  11. zuckercanyon

He’s practicing for later. Get em used to it for when Texas has the ten win years....at least I’m hoping.....

12. zuckercanyon

But Joe, Burton and Chip are journalists, with integrity and without fault. We the people count on them for information, not real information, but information we want to here, or that'll grab someone's attention, sell more subscriptions, more money, bigger house, hotter wife oh wait that's another thread....

13. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Do you think he is giving refunds to his customers who he bans?

14. TXSNOS

TXSNOS 1,000+ Posts

Sounds like the "journalists" can't stand the kind of scrutiny and criticism that they like to dish out.

• Like Like x 5
  15. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I agree. There is no doubt in my mind that the media is as thin-skinned as it gets. They are used to being unquestioned and inerrant. But we know better.

16. 22Horn

22Horn 500+ Posts

Just remember ...it's all about the media and how they want to glorify themselves ....no respect for others or the facts .....and they want to outdo each other...

17. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

I think they get so focused on the business side of selling and winning they lose touch with the fact what they write impacts other's lives....or maybe they know but just don't give a ****.

18. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Chip said it; he's not losing any sleep over it so he doesn't give a ****.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Omniscient.one

Omniscient.one 500+ Posts

Chip is having cold sweats.