Dems will whine about Cruz trip forever

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Horn6721, Feb 18, 2021.

1. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

I have been a big supporter of Cruz but this??
    He flew out of Houston for Cancun Wed.
    He came back yesterday after all the media outcry
    WTF was he thinking??

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

I'm on a news blackout. I get my info here lol. Help me out, why is that bad? Why should he not go to Cancun? Because of the power grid stuff or something else? And who cares what the media says?

3. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

It is the optics of it. He lives in Houston. People there like here are freezing and some with no water.
    There really isn't anything he can do but it just looks bad when he can fly to 80 degree weather when miilions are freezing and can't afford to get warm.
    Optics is all .

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Lots of folks here are pissed (in general) after freezing their asses off. Not going to win Cruz any fans. Also, he will be pounded for this in the next election.

• Agree Agree x 3
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
  5. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

This is a typical red-herring from the media. If SJL did this they would be silent.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

Looks like a smart move to me. Plus, Sheila Jackson Lee and Sylvester Turner have this under control.

• Funny Funny x 6
  7. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

I don't hold that against him. Cruz didn't command all Texans to stay in Texas or say that people who stay in their cold homes are idiots. People with resources are moving around the state to get in a warm place. I know people staying in hotels, staying with friends/family, and going to the 2nd home since it has power.

As long as Cruz shut off his heater before he left he did nothing objectionable.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

It just looks bad. There is nothing he can do to improve the situation but to people who have no place else they can afford to go while freezing and maybe with no water this is a kick in the face.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. horninchicago

Yeah, politicians who called for lockdowns and then went to tropical destinations are the real villains. Of course, the media hates Republicans, so they would vilify Cruz no matter what he did. And only stupid people in their voting would not vote for him because of this.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Agree
    Dems will be licking their chops in 24 when he is up for reelection.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

And there were some folks on this board arguing that Ted Cruz was actually a likeable guy...

:popcorn:

12. humahuma

humahuma 1,000+ Posts

I have no problem with what Cruz did, he probably didn’t buy those tickets that day and he didn’t know the failure of ERCOT.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

I get the poor optics some have with Cruz.

Especially Houstonians and perhaps some Texans but I don't have a huge problem with it. I know 1 family that a took a ski vacation to Colorado to avoid the storm and several people that got hotel rooms to avoid some problems at home.

Cruz is a US Senator - he has no involvement, influence or serious leverage with state government in Texas or ERCOT. Texas asking for Fed / FEMA help has to be done by the governor and other state officials. The state had to prepare, manage, monitor, and take action to deal with the storm. Cruz exercised self-reliance, something I support.

Cruz staying Texas during all this would have made no difference for the people experiencing all the problems from this storm, including me. I even thought if Cruz was a Democrat and traveled to Mexico with his family during this storm, I would still not have a huge problem with it.

Just my .02

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  14. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

I still like Cruz generally. He has been totally useless on stupid COVID policy though.

People making a big deal of this just want to criticize every little thing about someone they already hate.

I felt the same about criticisms like this about Michelle Obama getting expensive hair cuts and Obama playing gold too much. I expect people to live their lives. I will save my criticisms for bad policy and making rules for people they don't themselves follow.

Cruz wasn't guilty of any of that this time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Cruz could not do anything to change anything
    But that isn't stopping the attacks that will continue.
    I am surprised he didn't think Dems wouldn't leap on this.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Vino Bevo

Vino Bevo Wine - how classy people get drunk

I really don't have a feeling either way for Cruz. I don't consider myself Republican or Democrat, I lean right on most issues but a little left on some. Generally speaking I'm an old soul, Christian, but admittedly get off my lawn kind of guy at this point in my life who has little time or tolerance for posturing or politics - just get **** done please.

In this case, however, I find it sad he keep stepping on his dick with bad optics. His unnecessary criticism of California over their electricity handling has now come back to kick him in the arse, to the point where he has to admit "I have no defense". This latest decision has slapped him just as much, especially locally after he took a huge chunk out of our useless and moronic Austin mayor's *** when he left for Cabo at the peak of the first Covid spike then told us to stay home.

If I had kids (I don't) who asked to take a trip to Mexico with friends once the storm cancelled their classes for the week, I would of course want to oblige and "be a good dad" if possible. Personally, I work in an industry that gets insanely busy when events like this occur and I would have had to tell them I'd love to but I can't right now because I need to support my employees and customers who pay me to do so when this happens. Alternatively, I could do it anyway knowing they had everything under control, but for some reason I don't think that would be a good decision, especially when those same employees, let alone the customers, would LOVE to have the ability to get away from the circumstances and suffering for a while.

Cruz is certainly entitled to travel when and where he wants, but to do so right now, in my opinion, is throwing a big ol' middle finger at his constituents. If he's not running again for office then more power to him - it's not like his presence was going make the millions of people hurting any warmer or get their power and water back on any faster - but as a United States Senator I would expect him to step a little higher than he did.

Then again, he's a politician in the 21st century so I take it all back - they all suck so what was I expecting?

• Like Like x 1
  17. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

His true sin was not flying private like Bernie and Nancy would have.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

1) He ALSO had no power or water from reports I have seen
    2) He is federal, and thus could do nothing over the ErCOT schiffshow
    3) Although optics are bad, others in the State could ALSO have traveled out of the area- this was not a private plane like Adler used. This was commercial travel out of an airport open for business
    4) Had he remained in the area and been out and about, he would have been the subject of efforts by the left to shame him for 'photo ops.'
    5) It isn't that many cannot afford to travel, it is that they didn't think of it. Texas HAS mostly been open for business across the past year.

19. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

By 2024, #icepocalypse will be the least of the potential troubles being raised...and hopefully by then, we also have some ErCOT heads on pikes and some asses in TDCJ, just like ~15 years ago with the like of Shoquist and Uranga.

20. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

The media has spent more time in one day talking about Ted Cruz' flight to Mexico than they have ever spent talking about Cuomo's decisions as NY governor that led directly to the deaths of thousands of the elderly.

How do you explain that?

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Hot Hot x 1
  21. Vino Bevo

It's been decades since anyone in the media reported fully, fairly and openly on all topics. Everything is tilted and spun to meet the desires of whichever group of lemmings to which that network or ownership group caters. If you watch one side they will only talk about Cuomo while the other will only talk about Cruz. I'll restate my opinion of politicians to describe the media - they all suck as well.

22. Vino Bevo

See, this is why I don't like the West Mall ranting - now I'm all grumpy.

I'm moving off these topics to happier things.

:thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  23. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

Don't like Rafael but to me this is no big deal. I said so on another site and said how come nobody got upset about Gore tooting around on a jet while the earth is supposed to be burning to a crisp as a result of fossil fuels. I got torched and asked why I resorted to what about tactics. So I said ok, what about the new energy czar tooling around in a private jet. There really is a double standard. Plus almost everybody finds Lying Ted kind of repulsive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

It's bad optics, but I don't see why this is a problem. Why does he have an obligation to stay in the state? How do we know he hadn't had this trip planned before the storm? It's a stupid controversy. Far worse are the lockdown politicians who break run off and have fun while telling everyone else that they can't. Ted Cruz isn't stopping others from doing the same thing.

• Agree Agree x 6
  25. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Changed thread title to reflect what is happening.
    There is nothing Cruz can do to improve anything but the optics are not great

I bet the Chronicle will play it up big time. They hate Cruz.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. horninchicago

I flew Gore from Nashville to somewhere in California, can't recall where, many years ago in a Lear 60. Just him. Upon arrival, he jumped in a big Cadillac sedan powered by a V8 and drove away.

Nice guy. That was when I began to realize these guys pick a side on the Politician job application and go with it.

• Like Like x 1
  27. horninchicago

I said the same about the lockdown politicians. Virtually ignored by the "press".

28. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Very sneaky - you replied to complaints of whataboutisms with a whataboutism.
    Did they even notice?

• Funny Funny x 2
  29. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Ted Cruz returned from Mexico and instantly restored power to 2M homes in Texas

Praise the Lord

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
  30. horninchicago

The fact that he gave in and returned from this trip is what makes Cruz a wuss and bad guy, not going on the trip. Pathetic.