Deron Williams was almost a longhorn

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by VinceFord, Jul 2, 2008.

1. VinceFord

VinceFord 100+ Posts

According to this article Deron Williams almost transfered to UT after his freshman year.

2. Texas Wahoo

Texas Wahoo 1,000+ Posts

Bruce Weber might have been fired by now if that had happened, because there is no way they make that tourney run without him to build up the good will he's blazing through these days.

3. vy2005

vy2005 250+ Posts

Well Bill Self gets the credit for recruiting Williams from the Dallas area. Make no mistake Self is to basketball recruiting as Mack is to football. He also had Luther Head and Dee Brown, as well as Villanueva before Self left for KU. Coincidence to why Illinois is struggling the last few years? I think not.

4. 4realhorn

4realhorn 500+ Posts

Hate to break it to you, but it was Bill Gillispie who got Deron Williams to go to Illinois. While there is no doubt that Self is a great recruiter I wouldn't go so far as to say he's the Mack Brown of basketball recruiting.

5. AustinBadger

AustinBadger 250+ Posts

6. 4realhorn

4realhorn 500+ Posts

Roy Williams is hands down the best recruiter in college basketball.

7. Eating Club

Eating Club 250+ Posts

8. 4realhorn

4realhorn 500+ Posts

So missing out on 1 recruit negates my claim? [​IMG]

9. Ramathorn

Ramathorn 1,000+ Posts

easy to recruit at ku and unc.

10. 4realhorn

4realhorn 500+ Posts

Yeah I know what you mean. Lawrence Kansas has always been at the top of my list of places to go. Right up there with Bora Bora and the South of France.

11. LazyEngineer

LazyEngineer 500+ Posts

UNC > KU

12. Ramathorn

Ramathorn 1,000+ Posts

4real, the city itself is no factor. ku is one of the blue bloods of college basketball. Great atmosphere and kids want to play there. Lincoln Nebraska isn't so great, but they've managed to turn up a good football program up there, at one point anyway.

And Lawrence is outside of KC, not that bad. These kids are treated like rock stars there anyway.

13. Eating Club

Eating Club 250+ Posts

Like others said, it's easy to recruit at UNC; just offer a schollie. Roy's still one of the best, and I would love to play for him, but Barnes managed to steal the best player in the nation from UNC's own backyard. That's pretty damn impressive.

14. 4realhorn

4realhorn 500+ Posts

15. Ramathorn

Ramathorn 1,000+ Posts

Hell yeah, Barnes is the man, and I think we're in that next tier, partly cuz of Barnes, Austin and our facilities.

But if this was about great locations, everyone would be playing for UCLA and Miami.

I thought you were shocked that KU gets any recruits. I know alot of people want to play for a blue blood like that. Hell, Kentucky isn't a great state, but I'm sure alot of kids have dreamed of playing there.

I was implying it's pretty easy to recruit at unc and ku.