Devloping Logjam at QB

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by ViperHorn, Dec 5, 2018.

1. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I really wish Rising had seen the field. I hope the young man finds a great opportunity, preferably with Kelly at UCLA or at USC with all that talent around him and being coached by Zipper. Richt needs bigtime help in Convict Gables. Leach would make him great, but I ain't wishing anyone four years in Pullman.

Best wishes, Mr Rising, and thank you for your time at The Forty Acres

:hookem2:

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

SH, I just don’t understand his thought process. He would have to earn the job at any of the schools you mentioned. Perhaps he believes that Buechele is receiving preferential treatment. If he does and it’s true, that is a coaching issue. But if not, again, I don’t get it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Have to agree with this. I the guy can't take a redshirt, have a little patience and battle out for a starting position it seems awfully immature to me. You never know what's going to happen. We already know it's not likely Sam will make it through a season healthy the way he runs. I have no problem with the word flake.

• Like Like x 1
  4. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

5. LonghornCatholic

OU :facepalm:

• poop poop x 1
  6. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

After playing a hurt QB the last part of the season and the CCG instead of Shane, Herman should have "encouraged" Shane to play baseball or go somewhere he could start for two years which would have solved the issue. Now if both freshmen transfer, Texas will be back to having a true Freshman two plays away from starting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

That isn't true at all. Both him and Thompson committed to Texas in the summer of 2017. I don't see how this makes him a flake? He committed to blOwU and took a trip to Texas because of the relationship his father had with Tom Herman. He loved his visit and committed on his visit. At that time Herman had not coached a single game for Texas.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. slowrider

slowrider 250+ Posts

Obviously, we all feel differently about the word “commitment” when our teams flips a kid from another school. Especially, a rival.

But this is how it went down in the eyes of the OU folks.

He was Lincoln’s top target and shut down QB recruiting after Rising’s verbal. Rising attends 2017 spring game and gets spooked when he sees KM, Austin Kendall and Chris Robison all play well. Remember, nobody thought KM would be drafted in the MLB first round and leave after one year. His dad reaches out to TH and sets up a visit without notifying LR. They make the visit to Austin and commit. Weeks later they let OU know. OU scrambles and signs Mordecai late in the process and has been happy with him. QB room loves him.

Now the same kid leaves UT after 18 months on campus. Once a flipper, always a flipper. I am willing to bet his next school won’t be his last.

• Like Like x 1
  9. HORNSFAN214

HORNSFAN214 < 25 Posts

WE WILL BE JUST FINE WITH RISING GONE

10. Omniscient.one

Omniscient.one 500+ Posts

So is he definitely leaving or just browsing. Maybe trying to get coaches’ attention, though not the best way. He’s pretty confident, said during his recruitment he’d be starting this year or at least would’ve done better than Sam last year, which may have been true.

I’d rather Boo transfer to be honest, this kid is good

11. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I'm changing my screen name to "nobody", except I don't know anybody that didn't think he'd go on the first round.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. slowrider

slowrider 250+ Posts

Maybe I wasn’t clear on my time reference. The 2017 baseball season was just underway at the time of the spring football game. That baseball season Kyler was transitioning from a middle infielder to the outfield and saw limited time(ABs 49, Avg. .122, HRs 0, SBs 12). He won the starting CF position in 2018 and had a pretty good year(ABs 189, Avg. .296, HRs 10, SBs 10).

If you and everyone you know knew that he would be a first round pick off of his fledgling 2017 season and his potential, you are a clairvoyant.

13. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

So he transfers and has to sit a year. And he'll be brand new in another program. Why does he have a better chance starting somewhere else? Stay in the program and earn your spot. As to starting Rising over Shane when Sam was hurt are you kidding me? Whose going to start a true frosh over a seasoned Jr. that has proven he can win you games. No one's going to do that. Just don't see how this really gets him closer to playing time. Maybe, but maybe not. Do your time and get 2 years to start.

Good programs need to be in a position where Jrs/Srs are the starting QBs, but these kids aren't willing to take their time learning the position. And I would't assume Shane will transfer. Why not close your your career and get your degree and move on with your life. Shane has zero chance of playing pro ball. Nothing wrong with that. Only a few hundred in the US even has the ability at any one time.

14. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Nope, just understand what MLB looks for. That's why we helped Gus get clearances for Kyler's uncle to play college baseball. Kyler is faster and has a stronger arm. Will he make it? Nobody knows for sure, not many do, but as a prospect, he is the real deal.

If he hits 225, that's only two hits a week under 300, but his base running and defense easily cover that.

15. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

And that's a good thing. It gives everyone a fair chance to earn the opportunity to start based on his ability and work ethic. If I remember correctly, several years ago a freshman RB came in and earned a spot and had a pretty fair career - young fellow named Earl Campbell.

16. LonghornCatholic

They all gone.

17. LonghornCatholic

Well, don't have to worry bout that logjam anymore.

18. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Okay if we aren’t about to land Justin fields wth is going on

19. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Is Roschon J an EE?

:e-thinking:

• Like Like x 1
  20. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Justin Fields is a cancer also referred to as "Jeff George-itis", for which MD Anderson has no cure.

• Funny Funny x 1
  21. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

This why I respect Shane so much ... and the Bama back up QB

• Like Like x 2
  22. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Yes

23. slowrider

slowrider 250+ Posts

Please elaborate

24. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

He did. Jeff George.

25. slowrider

slowrider 250+ Posts

Okay. Let me ask it a different way. Why do you believe Justin Fields is a cancer, or like Jeff George?

All I know about him is that he is a former number one rated recruit by some services who thought he could beat out a freshman who led his team to the CFB finals. He didn’t beat him out so now he is considering a transfer.

Calling a kid a cancer usually doesn’t come from just an opinion so I am asking Sabre what he knows.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  26. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

This whole situation defies logic, and it makes me wonder if there’s more to the story than we know.

Why would two promising redshirt QBs start looking around at the same time, particularly when they both know that if either shows well in the Spring, they would have the opportunity to be the # 2 man in 2019, just one play away. What are we missing? Was something said? Do they feel that Buechele has been guaranteed the backup job if he stays? Or perhaps...are Herman and Beck disappointed in what they have seen so far from Rising and Thompson?

Undeniably we live in an era when many players feel entitled. I wonder who is whispering in their ears? There almost has to be more to this.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  27. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

What do Jeff George & Rhett Bomar have in common? When OU got a commitment from Bomar, I called and congratulated Bobby Jack on getting Jeff George Dos, without the mother.

Have either of our two QBs hired an attorney, who then "leaks" to the press that the kid is going to transfer? If that isn't Jeff Georgesque. it's damn close. It would appear from all reports that the father was supportive of the lawyer, which again wreaks of George, Sr and Bomar, Sr.

Of course, there's the report that all this was set off by a Georgia baseball player (1 of 92,000 at Sanford Stadium) yelled "put the ****** in".

"Mommy, mommy, the big, bad baseball player called me an ugly name".

If that kid made it 19 years on this earth without anyone saying that to him, build a bronze statue of him on the courthouse square in Athens.

• Like Like x 1
  28. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

I think these kinds of transfer-itis will become the norm. Free agency will not be far behind.

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. Handler

Handler 1,000+ Posts

Agree, new era of recruiting. Needs to be like declaring for the draft, you enter your name, you can't go back. To me this is a big distraction as well, I'd say you can't practice, can't go to bowl game, unless you are 100% in.

30. Handler

Handler 1,000+ Posts

Yes