Disappointed in fans yesterday

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by elguapo, Nov 9, 2008.

1. elguapo

elguapo 250+ Posts

I usually hate these threads, but I was embarassed by our fans yesterday. Early in the 4th quarter they kept showing aerial shots of DKR and the announcers were talking up our stadium improvements, it looked like 60%+ of the seats in DKR were empty.

That is absolutely UNACCEPTABLE for a top 5 program. Why should our players give 100% effort for 4 quarters, if the majority of our fans can't even bother themselves to stay and watch?

I understand that not everyone is going to stay the entire game during a blow out, but for over half the stadium to be empty early in the 4 quarter of a conference game when we are ranked #4 in the country is frankly embarassing. I can't help but think that most these of fans must be bandwagonners who weren't around for the pre Mack dark days, otherwise they would appreciate the product we put out on the field every Saturday.

2. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

It's Baylor and we aren't aggy, therefore fans left.

3. JLTexas500

JLTexas500 < 25 Posts

I love it when fans that watch the game on TV criticize the fans that actually decide to get out and drive to Austin to go to the game for not staying the whole time.

Not to mention Mr. El Guapo....your profile says you live in Austin. There were many people around the staduim that were giving away free tickets or tix for $25 or less. Instead of bitching you could have gone!!!

Pot meet kettle!!

4. Bill in Sinton

Bill in Sinton 5,000+ Posts

I live in Sinton but I can't fault the fans for leaving early if they wish. Of course I would rather them stay and keep cheering and sing the Eyes of Texas with our players at the end. But I can't condemn them because they are the ones that are paying big bucks to go see the Horns play.

[​IMG]

5. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

It is disappointing but watch games and you'll see it happen at similar games nationwide.

6. horns4everup

horns4everup 250+ Posts

Bill in Sinton, you are so good at keeping us very positive and focused, is there any way that would we ever see that you have changed to Bill in Austin? I know having you here in town and at the home games would bring luck to the team and motivate the fans in general.

7. gecko

gecko 2,500+ Posts

I stayed for the whole thing, but hey, that's just me.

I brought an SEC friend with me and he said he's seen the same thing at Auburn plenty of times for a lesser opponent.

Also....I sit on the west side and I can't imagine what it must have been like on the east side, particularly the student section. While it wasn't hot, that freekin' sun was relentless. The 11am kick put it right in their eyes from kick off until the Eyes of Tx. I'm not sure I could have hung in the whole way if I had been in their place.

8. Oilfield

Oilfield Guest

Let's just move all games to night and soon enough Texas will have the reputation as the most rabid fans in the country. 11AM sucks for football in Texas.

This is not a fan gripe but how can that game be considered a sell out when the east deck was less than 50% full?

9. Truck's Son

Truck's Son 500+ Posts

Student section didn't fill up until around the end of the 1st quarter. It was pretty empty about halfway through the end of the 4th. Then again, it was Baylor. Can't really fault people for checking out of the heat instead of watching Chiles hand off to Jeremy Hills and Cody Johnson on 10 straight plays. Seriously, let the kid throw a pass or two.

10. jamaebarrow

jamaebarrow 100+ Posts

The attendance was 97,000 plus. Those that bought tickets and didn't show up may not have contributed to the crowd and atmosphere, but did contribute to the "Keep Muschamp" fund or the "Find the best replacement in the world for Muschamp" fund.

Heck, since the game started at 11, why not play a double header and get Aggy over with? 2nd string plays against Baylor, first string plays against A&M in the night cap.

11. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

I stayed the whole game. Looking at the horrible sun burn I now have, that was probably a bad idea. I wouldn't have had a problem missing chiles screw around with the football, trying to produce turnovers or whatever it is he does out there. Maybe I stayed to see a glimpse of harris, but I'm not sure now.

12. ETCo1

ETCo1 100+ Posts

13. Tex Pete

Tex Pete 1,000+ Posts

14. UTFan2

UTFan2 250+ Posts

My husband made the comment that he "didn't know 90 something thousand people could be that quiet".

But we did our part [​IMG]

I really do think that after the month long stretch of high stress, high output games that the team AND the fans have gone through that many were just exhausted. I know I was. And as another pointed out - the sun was super harsh and bright. And it was Baylor.

I am friends with a former player and I asked him a few weeks ago - how the heck did he and the other players keep focused and "make it through" the weeks leading up to and in between big games and he told me he thought it was easier as a player and it's now harder as a fan.

15. uthornsgo

uthornsgo 25+ Posts

I can understand leaving early because it's hot/boring/you're hungry/whatever, but what I don't understand is why we are so quiet when TX is on defense in the first half? We only got mildly loud when the announcer would make a point to announce a 3rd down for Baylor. Not until the 2nd quarter, when Baylor tied up the game, did the fans start to get loud when we were on D. I realize this wasn't the Missouri game (which is the best I've ever heard DKR), but surely we could get into the game when it's close. I'm ok with giving it a rest when we're up by 4 TDs in the 4th (though I shouldn't be ok with that), but yesterday was pathetic.

Will someone please put my mind at ease and tell me we'll be loud, show up, and get into the game on Thanksgiving? I've got a friend from Brazil coming to see his first USA football game ever, and I'll be disappointed if the crowd is as weak as they were yesteday.

16. SportsICT

SportsICT 500+ Posts

17. UTFan2

UTFan2 250+ Posts

Thanksgiving day, 7 pm kick off, last home game against aggy - DKR will be LOUD LOUD LOUD. Fans will be obnoxious, ready to get out of the house and away from family or will have been tailgating all day - either way they/we will be ready to be in the stands, showing huge support for the team and the Seniors.

oh yeah, we will not disappoint on Turkey day v. aggy, no WAY [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. UTFan2

UTFan2 250+ Posts

We didn't leave until 5 minutes left in the 4th qt, v. Baylor, up by 3-4 scores with the 2nd and 3rd team O and D in.

You are right - "it" being Baylor is no excuse for being lame the entire game. Which we were not.

19. lkainer

lkainer 500+ Posts

Stayed for the Eyes of Texas and moved up into the best seats. I don't understand how anyone could leave early for any game. Beautiful day in Austin Texas. College football season is short...take your time and soak it all in..

[​IMG]

20. LthrHorn

LthrHorn 25+ Posts

Amen Brother! Some of us drive from far away vacation destinations like Dallas, driving down I35 at 5am for Baylor! I stay for it ALL but Id rather have the stadium PACKED at kickoff. Everyone's butts standing above their seats! Thats when more people are watching the game on TV, that shows up more. [​IMG]

21. Bob in Houston

Bob in Houston 2,500+ Posts

I was there until the end with my daughter. I don't blame people for leaving. They spend their money and can do what they please.

22. FlyinHorn

FlyinHorn 100+ Posts

It was my son's first game. I warned him that the crowd noise wouldn't sound like playstation due to start time, baylor, etc. Told him will have to come back for a night game against a bigger opponent.

23. 13evO

13evO 500+ Posts

24. 88aero

88aero 250+ Posts

"Why should our players give 100% effort for 4 quarters"

Their education (or thir path to the NFL) is getting paid for?

25. Lost_In_Ohio

Lost_In_Ohio 500+ Posts

26. texascoder

texascoder 1,000+ Posts

I was at the game and I'll be honest... I left after we called home the dogs. It was really apparent in the middle of the 4th quarter (or thereabouts) that we just didn't want to score any more on offense, which I totally disagree with. When we brought in Chiles with the second string offense, not only the personnel changed, but the playcalling changed as well. Based on where we are in the season and what's at stake, we need to score style points. I know Mack doesn't want to run up the score on his coaching buddies, but we've got more at stake than whether Art Briles leaves Austin with his feelings hurt. So, if the Horns don't want to play 4 quarters of football with the pedal to the metal, then nobody needs to be bitching about fans leaving early. I know I might be in the minority in saying that, but it's just my opinion. And before I get flamed for my opinion let me just say that I've been a season ticket holder for over 10 years and I've gone to probably a dozen away games plus several bowl games, so I do, in fact, support the Horns.

27. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

We're TEXAS.

Win or lose I never leave a UT game early when I go, ever. I won't question anyones freedom to come and go as they please, but it doesn't look good in the 3rd quarter when there are tons of empty seats for the #4 BCS team in the US. After all, the players can't quit or leave in the 3rd quarter.

28. rayfes

rayfes 25+ Posts

I went to the OU and Tech games (along with all of the home games of course) and I was glad to play Baylor and relax. I'm a fan and can do that, the team cannot but hey I'm not getting paid or getting a free education so I don't feel terrible that I yelled less during the Baylor game. I'm glad the team took care of business.

I stayed until the end and was ready to sing the Eyes when the Baylor band started playing. No biggie but I noticed that the Baylor players turned around, looked at the band, and then resumed their march to the locker room. Only 2 Baylor players stayed to hear their band. Lol.

It was really sparse at the end of the game but there was plenty of time for post-game tailgating. The sun felt wonderful. I didn't think it was hot at all though I was on the east side so the sun was mostly behind me for once.

Rayfes

29. crown and horns

crown and horns First Time Poster

I stayed for the whole game and had a blast!

30. TheBestPoster

TheBestPoster 100+ Posts