Discount Tire Co. any good? Better than NTB, etc.?

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by MikeUT00, Oct 9, 2006.

1. MikeUT00

MikeUT00 Guest

Need to buy a complete set of new tires for a vehicle. Where is the best place to buy national brand tires? I've heard horror stories about NTB. They all true? Is Discount Tire Co. a good place to do business? In addition to price, I'm interested in what extras a company will provide (i.e. -- free lifetime rotation, balancing, alignment, mileage guarantee, and/or anything else.)

2. stockjock

stockjock 250+ Posts

I've been getting my tires rotated there for free for years (even tires I haven't bought there), so they will always get my business when I buy new tires. I have always found them to be very competent and helpful (and I've been to several of them).

3. grinder

grinder 500+ Posts

Hell yeah.

Do a search for 'discount tire' and 'ntb' and the majority of posts praise dt, bash ntb.

4. po elvis

po elvis 250+ Posts

i always use dicount tire and never have a problem.

of course they always try to steer me away from the "cheap" tires towards the pricier ones, but i never fall for it.

i always want to ask "why do you sell these tires if they are crap?"

5. There was a thread on here awhile back telling why NTB has gone to ****. I forget the reasons though.

I use tirerack.com but have heard that Discount will price match. Is this true? Do they sell Kumho? Those are my favorite tires at the current time.

6. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

I've bought at Discount for over ten years and never had a problem at all.

HHD [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Clarence Iba

Clarence Iba 250+ Posts

The Link

Buy them there, have someone install them...usually way cheaper.

8. capnamerca

capnamerca 500+ Posts

I've been converted to DT. I purchased a used Ford Explorer about two years ago, and the previous owner had just purchased four new tires. Seriously, 60000 tires with probably 500 miles on them, with the DT extended warranty. we've all heard the pitch - anything happens, bring 'em back and we'll replace them. And we all think the same thing - right, whatever happens will magically not be covered by the warranty. I've since had two flats, and DT has replaced BOTH tires for free - ok, technically one was patch-able, but they still did it for free, and rotated them and balanced them.

On tires that I DIDN'T EVEN BUY.

The replacement tire (the first flat) was a no-questions asked replacement - I just had to buy the valve stem and new warranty. They didn't even upsell me or give me a hard time.

I've used three separate DT's in that time, and they've all been professional, couteous, and just as up front about things.

On the flip side, in a past life NTB sold me three tires at one time that all failed in exactly the same way over a period of about nine months - a dollar size piece of tread ripped off. Three separate NTB's called the failure 'alignment wear' and refused to honor the warranty. Of course, the REST of the tire was fine - it wasn't alignment wear, it was a bad batch of tires. But they didn't give a ****, and I had to buy three new tires. That's the last time I went in there, about five years ago.

9. biggie

biggie 25+ Posts

Ditto here.

I found my tires on tirerack for $20-30 cheaper per and Discount Tire matched the price (plus the shipping charges of course.)

10. Hellraiser97

Hellraiser97 500+ Posts

I used to swear by NTB, but in the late 90's their service went to ****. DTC has been awesome. They get all my business now.

11. EPThorn

EPThorn 500+ Posts

You should try Cosco or Sams...they are usually cheaper and have the road hazard already fixed in the price, unlike Discount.
    Last year i bought a new set of tires from sams for my GMC sierra for $550, the EXACT same set was 640 at Discount and that isnt including the extra 40 they were going to charge me for the road hazard.

12. wolfman

wolfman 1,000+ Posts

I used NTB for years. They went to crap a couple of years ago when Sears sold them. The service there is now horrible. I switched to Discount a couple of months back and was very happy with them. Go with discount.

13. MikeUT00

MikeUT00 Guest

Thanks y'all. [​IMG]

14. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

NTB drove me crazy and drove me to Discount Tires. Obviously, it's unanimous. Glad those guys are losing business.

15. MikeUT00

MikeUT00 Guest

For what it's worth, I bought the set of tires from Discount, and was very pleased with the service. They were very smart in their field, knew what they were talking about, and were not trying to up- or hard-sell. They now have me as a customer for life.

16. OneEye

OneEye 25+ Posts

Nothing but good things to say about DT. Quick service, had five tires put on in less than an hour wait. They matched the price of Costco who wouldn't put on oversized tires.

Blew off NTB years ago when they didn't tighten down all the lug nuts on one of the wheels after a three hour wait for rotate and balance.

17. bozo_casanova

bozo_casanova 2,500+ Posts

NTB has completely gone to hell. DT is much better.

However- if you are here in Austin I can't recommend Klingemanns on Congress and Oltorf strongly enough.

18. Holden

Holden 500+ Posts

My opinion. NTB sucks. DT will generally match prices and have incredible service. You also have the option of cutting out the extras to lower the price whereas NTB insists on the extras, increasing their prices for the same tire.