DKR permanent capacity 93,000+

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by Texas Jack, Jan 17, 2008.

1. UTuba

UTuba 25+ Posts

Just my thought, but I think there's two main reasons we play the smaller fries:

1. It's easy to schedule them. Everyone's given the reasons for that. Mostly the $$$.

2. The entire team gets to play. It's these early games that the younger players really get a chance to grab some experience and get some action under their belts. With some of these games we see 2nd and even 3rd string in before halftime. I'd love to see Sherrod get out against Florida, maybe that's just me.

Don't get me wrong, I love seeing us play the top programs, but I think it's healthy for the team as a whole.

2. netslave

netslave 1,000+ Posts

3. Eastwood22

Eastwood22 250+ Posts

4. George-Best

George-Best 100+ Posts

No one in Florida watches Florida Atlantic games and who they play has absolutely zero impact on recruits in Florida.

Playing FAU in a one-off at DKR does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for Texas recruiting in Florida.

I'm not bitching about the matchup though. The first game of the season should always be a glorified scrimmage.

5. netslave

netslave 1,000+ Posts

6. DRAG69

DRAG69 1,000+ Posts

7. eflow24

eflow24 1,000+ Posts

Me thinks all of the griping about scheduling is tired.

8. Tex Pete

Tex Pete 1,000+ Posts

When we played Stanford, NC State, and Arkansas, it was "HOW CAN WE LOSE TO THOSE TEAMS?!!!!"

9. DCLonghorn8

DCLonghorn8 250+ Posts

10. tex98horn

tex98horn First Time Poster

If they did circle the stadium on the SEZ then that would hypothetically put us at over 110K...does that mean Michigans Stadium would then be known as the "GuestHouse"? [​IMG]

11. eflow24

eflow24 1,000+ Posts

Maybe it is just me but I am not that big of a fan of the stadium completely closed off. I think it takes away from the beauty of the place. I would like us to go over 100K, but enclosing the whole thing just doesn't look good to me.

Of course, no matter what they do, I will be one of the 100K in the stadium. [​IMG]

12. wherzwaldo

wherzwaldo 1,000+ Posts

Deloss said that the sales of suites and club seats at the Disch were, more or less, paying for the construction bonds by themselves. I'm guessing that is even more true of DKR and the NEZ suites.

Add that it's still 8 months until the NEZ is complete and the suites are already sold out (and, if I'm not mistaken, the club seats are as well). Why not go ahead and finish it while demand is still high?

13. Longhorn Al

Longhorn Al 500+ Posts

He actually didn't say anything about adding permanent seating to the south end when he mentioned bringing plans before the Regents next month. The one thing he did mention was replacing the white tent on top of Moncrief.

I wouldn't be surprised if the plans did include seating, but I just wanted to calm things down a bit.

14. wherzwaldo

wherzwaldo 1,000+ Posts

Could've sworn I heard "south end zone expansion" but I only heard the recap of the interview.

15. Good Old Days

Good Old Days 25+ Posts

Allowing that there are approximately 8,000 new seats in the NEZ, and I'm assuming that does not include suites, and further that there are 4,000 seats out of the 8,000 set aside for club seats and chairback seats, does anyone have any factual information on how many seats there will be in the upper level of the NEZ, or, how many seats have been added to the lower level seating aside from the chair and club.

I always thought that the lower level non proprietary seating was being increased with the improvements, but some of the information I've gotten from the LHF seems to cloud that issue.

Thanks

16. hot_c_win_horns

hot_c_win_horns 100+ Posts

I agreed completely with you, until i saw the plans that USERNAME? posted above your last comment.
    I would like to see the board of regents: leave Godzillatron (come up with a better way to get everything out of its immense potential) and build around the massive scoreboard (it is a thing of beauty). If this happened, Texas would have the nicest-looking, most complete stadium in the country, hands down. [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. wherzwaldo

wherzwaldo 1,000+ Posts

18. netslave

netslave 1,000+ Posts

19. hot_c_win_horns

In reply to:
    Why build around something that is ultimately temporary?

I think a change in the original SEZ plans would be ok since Godzillatron has been installed. (I love the scoreboard)
    I don’t believe the scoreboard was in their original master plans. (I could be wrong)
    Why would we spend 8 million dollars on something that is ultimately temporary? When the screen is old and out-dated, replace it. It is that simple.
    I just think from a visual standpoint our stadium would be absolutely beautiful. (with the stands built around our state of the art scoreboard)

If, at a later date, the board decides to close the stadium completely in, they will have to put temporary scoreboards in strategic locations throughout the stadium, until the SEZ is complete.

I like the idea of keeping Godzillatron and building more stands around it. Thoughts?

20. netslave

netslave 1,000+ Posts

They won't build the stadium around the scoreboard. It would take up too many potential seats where it is right now.

Plus, it would be a construction nightmare to have to build around that thing. There's just no way. It might be relocated somehow, but not built around.

21. RayDog

RayDog 500+ Posts

I have no doubt that Godzillatron will be obsolete by the time SEZ construction starts.

22. hot_c_win_horns

In reply to:
    Plus, it would be a construction nightmare to have to build around that thing. There's just no way. It might be relocated somehow, but not built around.

Good point. It would be a nightmare maneuvering around the scoreboard. Where is everyone getting the information that Deloss may propose permanent seating for the SEZ within a month? Is there a link?

23. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

I am happy with the NEZ only right now. Wanting anything more right now is just unnecessary. You have to know that there are going to be open seats next year and IMO the single game ticket prices are a little ridiculous right now. I just can't stand the thought of them spending more $$ right now and driving ticket prices up higher to pay for it. Yes suits and club seats are helping to pay for the construction but I think to dismiss the price that other season ticket holders have had to absord over the years is just arrogant.

24. Texas Jack

Texas Jack 1,000+ Posts

25. Texas Jack

Texas Jack 1,000+ Posts

26. Stuck_At_Work

Stuck_At_Work 1,000+ Posts

27. TexasRepublic

TexasRepublic 25+ Posts

Honestly I don't really care much about Tron, so they can go ahead and tare it down. It's a big waste and a shame if you ask me.

B=====D This is Tron
    =====D This is Tron on advertisements... any questions

They're never coming off, so I say tare it down. What a waste of a great idea.

28. Good Old Days

Good Old Days 25+ Posts

Sorry, Ray, not following the math. If, according to the link earlier in the thread, only 8,000 new seats are being added to the NEZ, which you said formerly held 13,500, and should again hold 13,500 or maybe 14,500, then your figuring, as I see it, not including suites, 11,500 new seats and that's a lot more than the link says are there; a lot more.

I'm not arguing with you, but just wanted to know if anyone had any real information, not guestimation, of the number of seats, and let's just limit it to the NEZ upper deck.IE, if the total new is 8,000, and there are 4,000 in the chairclub, is the conclusion that there are 4,000 in the upper deck? As much as this project has been hashed over the last year, I don't remember any clear information about where the numbers of new seats would appear except in the chairclub are.

I'd really be interested in seeing someone overlay an outline of the old end with the new end right now so we could see how it is setting up.

Thanks

29. kangsta

kangsta 500+ Posts

30. Tex Pete

Tex Pete 1,000+ Posts

He's into weights and measures. Give him a break.