Do we really want OU to win out?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by converse, Oct 21, 2009.

1. converse

converse 250+ Posts

After the OU game, I saw a bunch of pronouncements that we should hope that OU win the rest of their games.

Normally, I think that a strong OU is in our best interest. But, this year, that means we would be pulling for a 3-3 OU team to beat UT opponents KU (5-1), OSU (5-1) and TTech (4-2).

Wouldn't it be better if those teams became the strength of our schedule? Or, are folks thinking that those teams are likely going to lose a couple anyway so we should rely on OU to creep back into the rankings?

2. Dude

Dude 1,000+ Posts

I hope they lose out.

Love to see them implode and lose some recruits.

3. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Losing out would be an acceptable course, but I still want them to beat aggy up.

4. stanhin

stanhin 5,000+ Posts

5. Dirty Martin

Dirty Martin 500+ Posts

6. Pericles

Pericles 1,000+ Posts

LOSE . . . and LOSE BIG!

[​IMG]

7. Horn89

Horn89 1,000+ Posts

Strength of schedule is a wash if we've already played both teams (e.g. Tech and OU).

Fortunately for us, none of that stuff matters this year. We saw a bunch of contenders (Ohio State, Penn State, USC, etc.) take a loss early in the year, so we're not really in a beauty pageant with any other BCS-league teams.

Honestly, the team that is the biggest threat to us year in and year out is OU, so maybe we should root for them to go 3-9 just for the sake of recruiting. It couldn't hurt to have the next year of ESPN broadcasts filled with speculation of why the wheels came off the Sooner schooner.

8. bevocbs

bevocbs 250+ Posts

Like it or not, I think OU is the only team in the conference that has a national reputation. If they win out and look impressive the rest of the way, and end the season with 3 losses by a total of 5 points - all against ranked teams - I think they will still get a lot of national attention and respect (deserved or not). Even more so than a 2 loss OSU and definitely more than a 2 loss Kansas from the North. Given their historical national reputation, I think OU winning out will give us the most national credibility.

That said, it doesn't matter b/c if we go undefeated we are in the big game, so I would be thrilled with OU never winning another game.

9. Jason Atchley

Jason Atchley 250+ Posts

Last year should have taught everyone a lesson.

OU should lose every game until the end of time. Every time they win a game, they get far more credit than they ever deserve, ala Notre Dame.

10. Xcalibur

Xcalibur 250+ Posts

Eff 'em. They can lose every game.

11. LakeErieHorn

LakeErieHorn 500+ Posts

It don't make ****. There is only one team I want to win out. [​IMG]

12. UTChE2000

UTChE2000 100+ Posts

The next time an OU win helps Texas will be the first time. I am hoping for a 3-9 result. We win out, and we're in.

13. Wild Bill

Wild Bill 1,000+ Posts

14. coolhorn

coolhorn 2,500+ Posts

O who? I'd just as soon see 'em go 0 for the rest of 09.

15. moosehorn

moosehorn 25+ Posts

No! If we stumble, we don't want to gift-wrap them another south div. championship like we've done more than once in recent years. They need at least two conference losses.

16. Vote For Pedro

Vote For Pedro 500+ Posts

17. kgp

kgp 1,000+ Posts

Why do some of you want OU to stop losing games just because time might end?

18. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

Is OU mathematically eliminated from the Big12 South Championship yet? NO.

Then i see no reason for rooting for OU to win another game until then.

19. Fritz

Fritz 500+ Posts

It would be fantastic to see them with a losing record at the end of the year. 3-9 would be great, but if they go 6-6 and then lose some crap bowl somewhere, that would be OK, too.

20. coolhorn

coolhorn 2,500+ Posts

I wanna see okie back in Shreveport for the bowl season, if at all.

21. Santafe

Santafe 500+ Posts

I would think OU losing to Kansas, OSU, and Tech and winning every other remaining game would help Texas more than OU finishing 9-3.

22. StoOgE

StoOgE 100+ Posts

The only way it matters is if we lose a game and are trying to get in ahead of Cincy or USC.

I don't think there is anything we can do to get in ahead of those teams since we don't play sexy enough football.

So win out and hope OU drops every single game except Aggy. I have money on Aggy being sub 500 this year.

24. kujotx

kujotx 500+ Posts

Why is this so hard for some of you people? [​IMG]

Sure, an 0U loss makes you giddy as a little girl. It just doesn't help TEXAS.

Plus, your undying hatred for A&M and them losing means more hits to our SOS. Did you people pay attention last year at all? That BCS rating is impacted by our SOS.

I want every single team we play to win every game. Teams like Baylor can lose. We need all the ranked teams to win out.

25. LonghornsWin

LonghornsWin 500+ Posts

Kujotx,

It is you who is missing the point.

1. It doesn't make a difference as long as we win out. Who cares what the national media have to say.

2. It helps us int he long run if OU does not do well since that helps us to get the better recruits.

3. We are extra angry because those Land Thieves took away our possible NC last year.

4. OU sucks.

26. converse

converse 250+ Posts

27. UTFan2

UTFan2 250+ Posts

I am not even going to read the other response until after I post this because my answer will not change not matter anyone else says:

I want ou to lose every game, in every sport, every year. Period.

Last year was the end of me wavering over if ou does this or that and if them winning "helps" us. F that. I wish their players no harm, they are just college kids, but I hope they lose every game. If we can't get to where we need to go by ourselves then WE have the problem. We have to go through ou every year and THEY have to go through US. F 'em. We take care of our business and let them worry about their's.

Let them remain choklahoma

ou sux

28. SmartChicOlena

SmartChicOlena 100+ Posts

With any other team, I'd say ... maybe.

With OU, it is NEVER good for us if they win. NEVER! They use the "W" for recruiting Texas kids.

I wouldn't root for OU if they were playing IRAN!

29. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

Not especially, no.

30. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

No. Just No.