Do we still eat Bevo?

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by huisache, Jan 14, 2010.

1. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

I was looking at a 1921 CACTUS last night while wondering whatever happened to Sneezy Beltran and read that when BEVO passed, our university, instead of burying him on Speedway so he could watch the games or the scoreboard in anticipation of Godzillatron, actually barbecued and ate him. It further related that he was skinned and his head and half his hide were on display at the athletics office and the other half of his skin, the side with the infamous 13-0 brand, was sent to the "rival school" as a gift.

I had never heard this before. Anybody else know anything about this bizarre ritual?

It further said that we beat Howard Payne, Southwestern and Austin College, among others, on our way to an undefeated season.

The stars of our victory over the Aggies, referred to as "the red and white," were a guy named Dominques and Rats Watson.

Harvey Pennick was on the tennis team.

Bib Faulk was in his last year playing under Billy Disch.

And the Rio Grande Valley Association had two members with hispanic surnames. All the rest were pale.

It did not mention whatever happened to Jerrel Wilkerson.

2. HousHorn09

HousHorn09 2,500+ Posts

In reply to:

3. RomaVicta

RomaVicta 5,000+ Posts

I think some of them are eaten. I think it's great that we eat our mascot, it's kind of badass.

4. Handler XIII

Handler XIII 1,000+ Posts

UT doesn't even own Bevo, a very kind man lets the Silver Spurs use him as the mascot. First once was eaten, but that was it.

5. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Maybe somebody ate Sneezy.

6. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

No, we are intelligent enough to let some traditions die out as times change, unlike some schools.

7. Orangesweat

Orangesweat 2,500+ Posts

8. salonghorn-70

salonghorn-70 2,500+ Posts

Sneezy had a pretty good year in '21. Not much after that, though. [​IMG]

9. SWHorn

SWHorn 500+ Posts

10. giveemhell

giveemhell 1,000+ Posts

Rat Watson went on to play in the NFL. He played for the Toledo Maroons, the Kansas City Blues, the Hammond Pros, and the Buffalo Bisons.

11. ampUT

ampUT 100+ Posts

for the moment we eat **** sandwiches handed to us by the pretender "bama nation. Soon we'll eat the Lotus fruit of real champions.

[​IMG] ince [​IMG] oung

12. ImissWallyPryor

ImissWallyPryor 1,000+ Posts

13. SigPi_Horn

SigPi_Horn 500+ Posts

I'd rather eat him than bury him next to our stadium.

14. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

Yes, eating our mascot is cool, indeed.

Only a few schools could do that without raising eyebrows.

Colorado could eat Ralphie. Colorado State could eat their Ram. South Carolina could eat their Gamecock, and piggy could eat their Razorback.

But there's just not enough meat for a lettermen's banquet on a Horned Frog, unless you catch a whole mess of 'em.

Banana Slugs might be tasty; not sure.

But it's cannabalism to eat mascots such as aggy, Red Raiders, Fighting Irish, Trojans, Spartans, Cowboys, Redmen, etc.

Eating other mascots could just be, weird.

How do you cook a Buckeye? A Crimson Tide? A Tar Heel? A Hurricane (okay, you could just make the drink, that'd be cool)?

15. orangecat

orangecat 1,000+ Posts

but which one would taste the best? I'm thinking a tie between us and the Pigs.

16. longtex

longtex Guest

17. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

I think it's happened once or twice. As I understand it that hasn't been the practice in a long time. Plus as someone mentioned, they're privately owned. If the guy who provides him wants to butcher him after he's retired I guess he can, but why would you want to eat an old steer? Not exactly prime beef.

18. OldHippie

OldHippie 2,500+ Posts

I think, since it is part of the essential nature of the significance of the longhorn steer in the history of Texas, Bevo should be eaten upon retirement. And I think that Reveille should be eaten as well. receipe

19. LITNIN HORN

LITNIN HORN 1,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

Beaver would probably be pretty good eatin'.

[​IMG]

20. atxbomber

atxbomber 1,000+ Posts

Ideally, we'd eat the mascots of every team we'd play, regardless of the moral implications (cannibalism, endangered species, etc.). That's how badass we should be at the University of Texas.

[​IMG] <--- pretend that's not a rose, and that the emoticon is actually chowing down on Red Raider leg.

21. UTEE

UTEE 1,000+ Posts

I was never in FFA and I didn't go to A&M, but as I understand it, as a breed, Longhorns are hearty and could survive the fairly harsh climate here in Texas which is why they flourished here, but they were typically on the stringy and tough side. I believe there are many other breeds that are more tender and tasty.

22. OldHippie

OldHippie 2,500+ Posts

23. bullzak

bullzak 500+ Posts

Any fanbase that would eat a golden retriever isnt to be trifled with.

24. longtex

longtex Guest

25. ImissWallyPryor

ImissWallyPryor 1,000+ Posts

26. longtex

longtex Guest

27. washparkhorn

washparkhorn 2,500+ Posts