Dodds says it's goodbye to AM...

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by accuratehorn, Sep 21, 2011.

1. aggressor

aggressor 100+ Posts

No, there is a proposal that they do it for 6. I will laugh heartily if they are foolish enough to do so.

2. RobbyHorn

RobbyHorn 500+ Posts

funny that aggy talks about nasty fans from texas tech aggy is the nastiest fanbase of all. IMHO

3. HI_McDunnough

HI_McDunnough 500+ Posts

Everyone in the conference has agreed to sign the 6 year deal for the Tier I & II rights. It's over. Everyone will get a hefty payday.

It's what aggy wanted all along but it is irrelevant being that aggy has never really done anything in the Big 12 anyway. They can now go get the same deal in the SEC except now they will be getting beat down even harder for their services.

Enjoy.

4. agssuk

agssuk 1,000+ Posts

Did Missouri agree?

5. Hu_Fan

Hu_Fan Guest

aggressor

This report by Barking Carnival (The Link ) on realignment gives one view of the background going back to Missouri's interest in leaving, prior to that of Nebraska; talks about "partial and non-qualifying" athletes, and brings up what I think are missing details in revenue sharing and, in particular, concerns 3rd tier revenue.

I can't for the life of me see anything the University of Texas has done in so-called bossing anyone around, or pursuing an unfair setup regards 3rd tier programming and revenue. Your points are all well taken, but a huge back-story has been missing from the dialog for well over a year.

I want to see a full report covering 3 full pages in the Houston Chronicle, that details the past 30 years of television contracts for all conferences, and how individual schools coast-to-coast have handled what we now call 3rd tier rights/revenues, and that includes ACC in basketball, the SEC in sports in general, the Big 12 and Pacific (now 12) conference.

I'm interested in truth, but respect opinion, personal views and feelings. I honestly cannot for the life of me view UT as doing anything warranting the perceptions of 'bully' and 'unfair' or anything of that kind. What I see are schools up and down the landscape all along trying to leverage their recruiting ( partial and non-qualifiers as important as anything from what I can tell) and handling their athletic programs -- and not one thing UT has done I can see that is out of line with any aims, ambitions and goals of any other program.

I also think it's a matter of conjecture at this point as to the future of the Big 12. I think the realignment go-round just now experienced has mostly shown that conference alignments far from this geographic region really doesn't make as much sense as appears on paper. I think the scurry has shown that there is a genuine love and appreciation for a conference based in this part of the US that does not extend too far to the east or west; one that encompasses a handful of D1 programs in the state of Texas.

If it were up to me, I would rename the conference for a fresh start. I also note that the now-temporary commissioner for the Big-12 was in fact the person who assisted the current television model. It wasn't long ago that schools could only appear 5 times over a 2-year period, et al. It was horrific compared to what it is today. So, that person is now attempting to re-direct the "Big 12."

Enough. Predictions: Oklahoma will erect it's own network within the year, and so will A&M. As I understand, both have wanted to all along, and now will feel they must. And I think SEC and other conferences will adapt a model to accommodate those kinds of networks and styles of 3rd tier programming. I think U. of Florida will be the next to erect a special network. Will Muschamp spent time here and sees the model for getting things done, and the importance of quality in doing it. Universities will want to do the bigger picture of things the LHN is setup to do. It's not about "one upping the rest of the conference" or having an unfair advantage, anymore than having an unfair stadium or campus facility.

Can anyone on the board show where 3rd tier revenue is shared in a conference? As I have read, it is not shared anywhere. Not even in the SEC.

Maybe the fair thing to say is that no one can say A&M will not succeed in the SEC. The same as no one can they say what remains of the Big 12 conference cannot succeed. And same for the LHN and network structures similarly setup by other institutions.

By the way, why is that game on at 2:30 instead of at 7:00 pm on ESPN? Ok-State-A&M. The game is now sitting directly opposite CBS telecast of Ark-Alabama.

6. geezerhorn

geezerhorn 1,000+ Posts

According to a recent OB article ALL 9 remaining B12 members have verbally agreed to grant Tier 1& 2 rights to the conference.

7. Pericles

Pericles 1,000+ Posts

8. BHud

BHud 250+ Posts

Didnt aggy go 5-10 against Tech in the Big 12? Im confused as to why there is such smugness... it isn't as if aggy won a bowl game, or was relevant on the national stage during their membership of the Big 12. For Pete's sake....you beat two schools from BCS AQ conferences. In 15 years! PATHETIC. You sucked here....you'll suck there. I always suspected it took being a bit of a massochist to be an aggy: proof positive.

9. agssuk

agssuk 1,000+ Posts

I BET AGGRESSOR WONT READ THE BARKING CARNIVAL ARTICLE. HE DAMN SURE WONT LIKE IT.

10. HI_McDunnough

HI_McDunnough 500+ Posts

Aggy has not won a bowl game since 1994. I'll make love to you by Boyz II Men was on top of the charts the last time aggie sniffed victory in a bowl.

[​IMG]

11. aggressor

aggressor 100+ Posts

A&M never committed to the Big 12 for 10 years. The Big 12 signed a 10 year agreement for Tier 2 TV rights just as they have an existing deal for Tier 1 rights. There will never be a time that there is not a Big 12 contract of some kind in place but none of those contracts are with A&M. A&M has one relevant contract and that is to the Big 12 charter. We have followed that charter to the letter.

Zona,

I think you underestimate the value of the A&M series to Texas though I appreciate your respectful post. The buyouts are a potential issue but likely not. Until A&M is replaced by the Big 12 there is an opening on the Texas schedule. I seriously doubt A&M is going to cut Texas a check to play them but I wouldn't say it is impossible, my guess is that the buyouts for most of those Texas games (especially further in the future) are fairly small to cancel the contracts. LSU dropped 4 years off of a 10 year contract with A&M and paid $100k.

Texas schedule really looks sketchy going forward without A&M and especially if OU falls off. The new Big 12 feels a lot like the post Arkansas SWC. The home schedule has several seasons that really lack appeal.

I agree Texas will be fine in recruiting but still it is a game that helps. Recruits like to play in big games and one of the great appeals for Texas was the fact they had 2 true rival games. Going back to the formation of the Big 12 the A&M/Texas game was a guaranteed nationally televised game but Texas/OU was not. It helps A&M but it also helps Texas. With A&M going to the SEC the game will actually become much bigger, especially with all of the bad blood between the schools now. Part of being "Texas" is being bigger and more impressive than everyone else and the A&M game is part of that. Also, for several reasons stated earlier A&M can replace the Texas game with a feature game much easier than Texas can, the scheduling issues aside.

The game is also smart politics. There is a reason why many states actually even have a state law that their 2 biggest schools have to play each other. A&M and Texas work together on a lot of things that dwarf football, we are politically tied to the hip especially when it comes to protecting the PUF fund. As long as the 2 schools work together they control the Legislature, divided and they have to find new partners and it will take more than 1. Just not much incentive to start a war.

Oh and of course there is money. Remember that State Farm currently sponsors the series and with A&M in the SEC that price tag just went way up. There is huge cash involved. Right now tickets to the game this year are running at $350 to start and that is only going up. It's a game that not only makes a lot of money it incentivizes people to buy season tickets. Remember OU is always in Dallas and there are a limited number of ticket options Texas has, selling out 100k stadium is not a given unless Texas gets back to being a Top 10 team and what can be charged for those tickets is definitely not a given.

I'm certainly not going to sit here and say that it doesn't matter to A&M or that it doesn't help A&M to have that game but A&M also doesn't need it like it once may have. Every year will have Bama, Auburn, Arkansas, and LSU on the schedule with a rotation of the East Teams for A&M. That's already a murderers row but it also has several big time games that will excite recruits and fans. With the Arkansas game in Dallas, A&M also has 7 games guaranteed in Texas with the LSU game in Louisiana and the 2 Mississippi schools being valuable as well, those are talent rich states that A&M is already getting good players out of and the driving distance is little more than OSU or Lubbock from CS. Make no mistake, Texas would be great but it is more of a cherry on top than the cake. I just like a good dessert. If not though I am sure that both the SEC and Big 12 will try to push us into playing in the Cotton Bowl at any possible opportunity. Won't be the same though. I'm also sure that at some point they will continue the series, probably after Dodds retires. I'd just rather not have it stop. We did it 100 years ago though so at least there is precedent.

12. BevoNation

BevoNation 500+ Posts

I just pissed on that fire hydrant over there. Am I winning?

13. stevedallas

stevedallas 500+ Posts

Auburn was only relevant when they cheated (which Aggie should be familiar with). Bama was only relevant when they got to play Texas without the QB with most wins in CFB history taking the snaps, and almost lost to QB as bad as Gilbert. Arky is rarely relevant and LSU is up and down.

SEC might be on the top right now, but not by much. I believe they have been lucky that Florida got to play OU instead of Texas, that Bama played texas without Colt, and that Cam got to play despite his cheating.

But, keep being delusional.....it is so....um....aggie.

14. reyhorn

reyhorn 100+ Posts

15. PropositionJoe

PropositionJoe 2,500+ Posts

Bevo I immediately pissed on the same hydrant after you got done so technically right now I'm winning.

In case you are wondering I did stop midstream to do the sec chant. It's kind of my new thing.

16. geezerhorn

geezerhorn 1,000+ Posts

aggressor,

Last post by me on the subject.

You never responded to my question regarding you sacred aggy code. And if you want to use symantics to insinuate aggy made no long term commitment to the continuation of the B12 last year it just reinforces my assertion your glorius code is just an opportunity for more aggy hypocracy.

I've observed aggy "greatness" with my own eyes for over 50 years at your stadium and ours. When you can tout 4 or 5 10-win seasons get back to us, until you will be perenial losers.

As individuals I know some nice A&M grads, as a collective at sporting events they are an insufferable group whether winning or losing.

I for one could care less if they win the SEC inter-galactic championship, or blow elephants at a nickle a herd. I'm just glad they are gone. (Please Mr. SEC don't let me down)

I keep wanting to repeat that great quote of Dr. King everytime I think of no aggy in our future:

"Free at last! Thank God Almighty, Free at Last!"

17. TexasTower

TexasTower 500+ Posts

18. Trusted Insider

Trusted Insider 1,000+ Posts

nothing makes an aggy sound stupider than when they talk about how ****** the Big 12 is and how amazing the SEC is (which, is consequently getting worse by adding them).
    Aggy was mediocre in the Big 12. Tech much, much better. Yet the conference was/is ******. What does that say about Aggy?? And now they're in a Bryan-College Station city wide circle jerk about a stupid conference affiliation. Why? Because they have never done anything individually to get excited about so they are reduced to celebrating other schools accomplishmnets. It's a different kind of penis envy that they're practicing these days, but penis envy nonetheless.
    Aggy lost 4 games last year and they act like they're a nationally recognized power. It takes sucking *** for a very long time to think a 4 loss season is a monumental accomplishment.
    All of the conferences that added teams got better. The SEC got worse.

19. stevedallas

stevedallas 500+ Posts

Alottaboohoo We're sick we're' sick
    Alottaboohoo We're sick we're sick
    Goodbye to auburnbamaarkylsu...niversity
    Goodbye to a chance to win at all
    I wish we had not been such cry babies
    With our penis envy and our lack of balls.......

20. Hookem123

Hookem123 1,000+ Posts

21. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious 25+ Posts

The B12 bylaws provide for various liquidated damages based on the breach of contract should a member leave the conference at the end of a 5 year term with various lengths of notice. A&M intends per its public statements to breach more massively than the charter even conceived or than CU or NU did: they plan to quit in mid term. Aggressor is simply mistaken about whether A&M's departure places it in breach and whether A&M is offering to follow the charter in terms of timing. I suggest he read section 3 of the by-laws.

22. Horn in the USA

Horn in the USA < 25 Posts

23. Hook 'Em Danno

Hook 'Em Danno 1,000+ Posts

Capt. Obvious, we've never known Aggy to let the facts prevent them from coming up with a good story. Why should they start now?

24. Lidig8r

Lidig8r 250+ Posts

Why play aggy?

aggy uses the Texas game to help them recruit. aggy cannot use its conference championships, or BCS bowl victories, or consistent 10 win seasons, or being on television every week, or playing in transcendent games as recruiting tools. It can however, use... "come to aggy and you will appear on national television against Texas on Thanksgiving night!

With Texas recruits, it's the "look at the BCS bowl victories, look at the crystal football, look at the bowl wins, look at the 10 win seasons, look at the Network, look how many players we put in the NFL, look at appearing on television every week." If the recruit asks about aggy, the response is very simple, "Son, the last time aggy won a national championship, Hitler was having sex with Eva Braun in Paris for the very first time."

There is absolutely no evidence to suggest aggy will enter into decades of football excellence by associating with a different conference.

BUT, there are two good things aggy gets from moving to the SEC... (1). it offers aggy the opportunity to establish their own brand.. other than as Texas' envious little brother and (2). it sets precedence allowing Texas, in 3 - 4 years to look into other conference affiliation (if we so desire) without being tied to Baylor and Tech.

aggy, you want to be completely divorced from Texas. And.. we gain NOTHING by playing you.

25. horn123

horn123 500+ Posts

A&M is still here, come this time next year they will still be here.

26. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Anybody wonder why aggressor suddenly disappeared? LMFAO!!!