Does Texas need help to receive a Big12 title game slot?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Tx_Tough_LHB, Nov 8, 2020.

1. Tx_Tough_LHB

Tx_Tough_LHB < 25 Posts

This article posted on ESPN seems to imply Texas needs help to receive a Big12title game slot. With KSU and ISU left on Texas' schedule, as long as the Horns win* their final 3 games, they will be in the big12 title game, correct?
    *I know this will be difficult.

AP Top 25 college football poll reaction: What's next for each ranked team?

As of 11/08, these teams have the best chance of making it to the big12 title game, correct?
    OSU wins out - Big12 title game bid
    ISU wins out - Big12 title game bid
    KSU wins out - Big12 title game bid
    Texas wins out - Big12 title game bid

BTHOKU!

2. Duck Dodgers

Duck Dodgers 1,000+ Posts

I think OU winning out gets them there, so you know that will, unfortunately, happen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

I'm not sure. OU and Texas win out, Texas has wins over ISU and OK state, loss to OU. OU would have wins over Ok State and Texas, loss to ISU. ISU would have win against OU and losses to OK State and Texas. Ok State would have a win against Iowa State and losses to OU and Texas, so it would appear that, although each team is 7-2, OU and Texas would have the better record(s) against the 4 teams tied for the lead. (2 &1 vs 1 &2)...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  4. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

For the last two weeks I've heard announcers say that Texas controls it's own destiny. Win out and we are in the championship game and that's all I care about. It doesn't really matter to me who we play.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Texas controls its own destiny as do OU, ISU, KSU and Okie State. Weird that five teams know if they win out they are in.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  6. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

When will they wake up and realize that "Congratulations, you just won the right to play a game in front of the smallest TV audience ever", and "now that you have won this game, your prize is to go to NOLA and get the crap kicked out of you by Florida"

All complaints should be addressed to Las Colinas, where someone will hopefully explain them to Bowelsby.

7. txhorn_et

txhorn_et 1,000+ Posts

We all know that after the Horns beat another sec team in a bowl game, said sec team really didn't want to be there :lmao:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

What makes you think that? Just because the SEC players were roaming Canal and in Harrah's at midnight before the game, you think the "didn't want to be there"?

I talked to probably a dozen of them, as well as two of their coaches and their AD.

9. txhorn_et

txhorn_et 1,000+ Posts

I’m just saying that’s what is stated every-time Texas steps up and beats one of those teams in a bowl game. That is all.

10. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I understand. Just giving you grief. They got real interested really quick once the ball was tee'd up

11. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Since the Sugar Bowl is one of playoff sites this year the Big XII champ probably goes to Cotton Bowl.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Better than Phoenix, but if it has to be JerryWorld, I'd rather spend my money the week before Christmas watching the HS Championships, IF they allow people in,

• Like Like x 1
  13. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

That excuse is always dumb, especially since Georgia had 2 losses, and so they had to know they weren't going to be in the playoffs regardless if they were even being halfway realistic. Certainly they had far less reason to be deflated about a BCS bowl game than 2014 TCU did, and those guys dominated their bowl. So then the retroactive story became "TCU wanted to prove they should have been chosen for the playoffs" but if they had lost it would have been "TCU wasn't chosen, so they didn't care about the lesser game".

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
  14. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Texas has not played ISU yet. I think that blows up your post.

15. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

All of those are correct!

If OSU wins out, OU would have another loss
    If ISU wins out, both KSU and Texas would have another loss
    If KSU wins out, both ISU and Texas would have another loss
    If Texas wins out both KSU and ISU would have another loss

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Texas controls its own destiny. Scares you to death.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Duck Dodgers

Duck Dodgers 1,000+ Posts

Georgia should have had no shot at the playoffs that year after losing in the SEC game. But there was no controversy at that time in college football, so the media had to gin one up, and the story was that for unknown reasons, a freshly beaten Georgia team should still be invited to the playoffs.

When that correctly didn't happen, the team probably was deflated, which is no excuse for them being beaten in the Sugar Bowl. It's an added black mark against them (and especially their coaches) for not recognizing the playoff hype as media garbage, turning it out, and playing the game. Losers on and off the field.

18. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

Yep....it is not as simple as some are trying to make it. There will most likely be multiple teams with two losses and many tiebreakers involved. We are parsing through this over on the Big12 tiebreaker thread for any interested. I'll tell you it isnt that straightforward.
    If you are willing to work though all the tiebreakers...I'm not...then you could discover.

19. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

did ya read it? all of it was based on OU and Texas winning out, and the other two winning any games left that did not involve OU or Texas. OU and Texas win out and the other two lose one more game each, it's OU and Texas. But, I agree, the "win out" idea has to be met.

20. Tx_Tough_LHB

Tx_Tough_LHB < 25 Posts

OU does not control its own destiny. OU needs to win out AND for ISU to lose two more games AND for KSU to lose at least one more game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Tx_Tough_LHB

Tx_Tough_LHB < 25 Posts

Hopefully the rest of their road games will NOT be primetime games especially at KSU.

22. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

I see us winning out.
    ISU has a suspect defense and a lot of you must have missed the news on Skylar Thompson's season ending injury. Kstate can still be dangerous up there in Manhattan.... but they haven't looked so good on offense since losing their starting QB and I would bet on UT there.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Remaining games for the two-or-fewer-losses teams:

ISU: KSU, Texas, WVU
    OSU: OU, Tech, TCU, BU (make up game)
    OU: OSU, WVU, BU
    Texas: KU, ISU, KSU
    KSU: ISU, BU, Texas

Obviously, upsets can happen with the "bottom 5" teams in the conference, but we'll just assume that they won't happen for the sake of figuring out the conference championship. ISU and OK State are the only 1-loss teams in this equation, so that's obvious for them winning out. After we pooped the bed against TCU, I figured they would be the most likely candidates for the CCG anyhow.

There are just too many equations up in the air for figuring out the top-2 if we have to predict the aforementioned 12 games. The concerning factor is obviously a logjam at 7-2. The 2nd tiebreaker for 3-way tie is going to be the determiner for a lot of those issues (records against the conference teams from top-to-bottom in the standings).

I'll make a chart of the remaining 9 games after this weekend with all 81 different scenarios. Or not.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Giving Texas any tiebreaker between Texas and those two. In fact, if Texas wins out only Oklahoma would have the tiebreaker over Texas.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. NJlonghorn

NJlonghorn 2,500+ Posts

The number of scenarios is not 9^2=81. It is 2^9=512. Better start working on that 9D chart, lol.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Yeah, I was flipped on that. I bet I could do the 512 chart, but it wouldn't be super helpful. More like a Google Sheet without lots of readability problems.

Since I said in the other post that we'll "assume" the bottom 5 teams won't win against any of the 2-or-fewer-losses teams, it's actually just 2 games we have to worry about after 11/21: ISU v. Texas and Texas v. KSU. Having OU/OSU and ISU/KSU in the same weekend saves me a lot of hassle!

27. LonghornCatholic

We shouldn’t have been worried about TCU either, but with Herman.....nothing is easy.

28. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

I read it twice initially, but misunderstood both times. I get it now. My bad.

29. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

We get ISU at home. KU and KSU are on the road. I'm not going to say "we got this" because the last time we had a coach on the bubble, KU managed to but us at their place, and he disappeared like a fart in the wind shortly after. Not taking the position KU will win, but I still remember last season when they took us to the wire and we needed a FG to win as time expired. So, I am cautiously optimistic about KU. We will beat ISU at home, may be close like WVU, but it's a win. KSU is up there and they seem to play us tough and close every time. So, I hope the team stays focused the next three games and beats each one into oblivion. What happens after that, I have no idea.

• Like Like x 1
  30. LonghornCatholic

I’m afraid KSU QB will run for 739 yards on us. We’ve been know let running QBs go off.