Driving from Chicago to Charlevoix, MI

Discussion in 'On The Road Again' started by NB_LONGHORN, Mar 18, 2011.

1. NB_LONGHORN

NB_LONGHORN 500+ Posts

My family is making this trip in late July. We plan to catch the Astros at Wrigley and then start our drive to Charlevoix. Our kiddos are 8, 6, and 2 so I wanted to ask all of you what you would recommend along the way. My wife and I love history and the kids are kids. I will try to talk her into a side trip to see Touchdown Jesus in South Bend but beyond that, I am clueless. Any ideas?

2. Michtex

Michtex 1,000+ Posts

NB_LONGHORN,

If you haven't stopped at the Sleeping Bear Dunes before, your kids would probably love climbing the dunes.

The Link

If you go there, you might stop by the Cherry Republic in Glen Arbor (which is close to the Dunes). Lots of stuff to sample(taste).

The Link

Don't know if you will make it in time, but July is cherry season in that part of the state. You could visit one of the u-pick farms around the Traverse City area.

The Link

3. Big Horn

Big Horn 100+ Posts

If you are not going to spend any time in Chicago, I would get north as fast as possible. I think the Interstate east of Chicago through Gary might still be under construction.

I second MichTex's suggestion for Sleeping Bear Dunes. I go every other year to Michigan and we always go there and to Traverse City. My kids are were 8 and 5 last year and it was the fourth and third time respectively they made it to the top of the dunes, although now they make is on there own and I dont have to piggy back anyone.

If you go to Sleeping Bear, you can go further up the Leelanau peninsula and go to the lighthouse at the far nothern end. Lighthouse

Stop off in Northport and grab lunch at the Eat Spot.
    Eat Spot

I could drive around the Leelanau peninsula for days.

In the country south of Traverse City you will find blueberry and strawberry farms. Around Traverse City iare apple orchards, winerys, and cherry orchards.

Just outside of Charlevoix we like to go to Fishermans Island State Park for the beaches and rock hunting.

A fun outing from Charelvoix is to drive up to the UP (upper peninsula) across the Big Mac bridge which connects Mackinaw City with St. Ignace. Big Mac
    In St. Ignace, take the ferry to Mackinac Island. The kids will like the horse drawn carriage tour of the island. The wife will like the shopping and the Grand Hotel.

In late July in Charlevoix you should have fantastic weather. On the days were it gets to almost 80, I like to listen to the locals talk about the sweltering and oppressive heat. [​IMG]