Dude that posted the pic of Michael Phelps...

Discussion in 'Quackenbush's' started by general35, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Smurfette

Smurfette 500+ Posts

If someone took a picture of me smoking pot and published it in the paper saying "AISD teacher smoking pot!", I'd lose my job in a heartbeat. In fact, I bet most people around here would.

I don't feel sorry for him. I think it sucks, but I don't feel sorry for him.

2. Brisketexan

Brisketexan 1,000+ Posts

Smurfette -- do you ever have a bit too much to drink? Maybe when you're out with friends, or at a tailgate? Maybe you fall on your *** and laugh?

"AISD teacher falling down drunk!"

It's absurd.

3. mia1994

mia1994 1,000+ Posts

4. Summerof79

Summerof79 2,500+ Posts

I only wish we had the guys name who proffited from the release of the photo. And yes they guy that put out the photo is a scumbag in my opinion and if he was PROUD of what he did in exposing Michel Phelps we would all know his name and he woudl already have been interviewed by Katie Couric.

Perhaps some one will step forward and name the person. THAT would be SWEET!

5. Texas_Rocks

Texas_Rocks 500+ Posts

6. Smurfette

Smurfette 500+ Posts

I don't know what you're talking about, Brisket-- I've never gotten drunk at a tailgate, and I've damn sure never fallen on my *** and laughed at myself.

heh. [​IMG]

7. taking pictures should be banned.

8. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

Yeah, where's the photo of the guy who ratted out Phelps? Let's post his image and make a few thousand comments about it.

10. FondrenRoad

FondrenRoad 1,000+ Posts

What's the going rate for a photo like that at the Enquirer or Star? If the price is right, I'd take that pic myself. I won't take the moral high ground against the photographer. Phelps set himself up for it. He should be more careful. It sucks that he HAS to be more careful in this day and age, but he does.

The problem isn't Phelps or the photographer, it's Americans and their righteous indignation. The photographer, probably a broke college kid, just capitalized on it.

So what, Phelps smoked weed? We all have. I'm done buying Kellogg's until they reinstate him. Not that they're going to feel that. I've been done buying Kellogg's since I was 12.

The odd thing about it is that I really don't think the majority of Americans have the righteous indignation anymore about this. Kellogg's and the Swimming Federation just expect Americans to care so they took action. They could have just as easily taken no action, Kellogg's would have sold just as many boxes of Froot Loops, and none of the opposing swim teams would have complained.

11. AustinTejasFan

AustinTejasFan 1,000+ Posts

"if you eliminated those over 60, I bet the percentage would be much greater"

You must have missed Woodstock.

12. Beau Vine

Beau Vine 1,000+ Posts

13. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

I wish Phelps would just run with this. He'd probably pick up some sponsors. He's already admitted it was him, so the criminal aspect is fixed. Just say "yeah, it was me, and I enjoyed it. It's not like I smoked before a meet, and it's not like it affected my performance. I didn't drive, and I didn't put anyone in danger. Our drug laws are ridiculous and if I lose some endorsement deals over this, then they hired the wrong guy in the first place."

He'd have plenty of companies step up to the plate to take up the slack for those that dropped him. But no, he issued the typical weaselesque false apology, and he still got dumped by one (and maybe more) sponsors. Dude could have been the MLK of pot.

EDIT: just read Beau Vine's link. Good points there, too.

14. Back to Texas

Back to Texas 250+ Posts

You think these sponsors who had millions tied up in this guy might have spent some money on investigators since this pic broke who turned up more potential issues?

See Capriati, Jennifer.

This guy is a social trainwreck and bong hits are the least of the issues.

15. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

16. FondrenRoad

FondrenRoad 1,000+ Posts

17. JohnnyM

JohnnyM 2,500+ Posts

18. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

19. JohnnyM

JohnnyM 2,500+ Posts

20. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

He IS the test case. He needs to run with it. He'll probably lose most of his current sponsors over this.

21. JohnnyM

JohnnyM 2,500+ Posts

jimmy - I'm on your side man. I would love for him to run with it. I just don't think he will, nor would I if I were in his shoes. It's already a financial disaster, but going all-or-nothing when you're in his situation just isn't a good option.

22. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

I know you agree with me on the severity of the "crime", but we disagree on the way he might handle it from here on out. I don't think it's "all or nothing". At the very least, the majority of Americans don't give a damn that he smokes pot. Cater to that majority. The first company that does may not hit a home run, but they'll get support, no doubt.

23. Coelacanth

Coelacanth Guest

Is this what I should tell my high school juniors on Monday? -- that Phelps is a victim here who was doing nothing wrong? And that the real villain is the evil photographer who snapped the picture?

Should I tell them that smoking pot really isn't a big deal, and to just be sure that they don't get caught or photographed? Is that what you guys tell your own kids? -- and in particular your daughters?

What other laws should I encourage them to break? I suppose speeding is a given. And since alcohol is decidedly more legal than pot, then I should advise them merely to be careful and not drink and drive.

Is this what I should do?

24. Summerof79

Summerof79 2,500+ Posts

25. Orangesweat

Orangesweat 2,500+ Posts

26. MaduroUTMB

MaduroUTMB 2,500+ Posts

27. Ramathorn

Ramathorn 1,000+ Posts

General, you would be just as upset if someone did that to say Allen Iverson, right?

28. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

H.R. Pufnstuff
    Who's your friend when things get rough?
    H.R. Pufnstuff
    Can't do a little, 'cause you can't do enough.

29. JohnnyM

JohnnyM 2,500+ Posts

Coel - You should encourage your students to learn and think for themselves and not accept things that are legal as "good" and things that are illegal as "bad". You should encourage them to learn about things they are interested in and why they may be legal or illegal.

If we had more people who actually learned about alcohol vs marijuana instead of just thinking "beer-good, pot-bad" maybe we could have some sensible laws passed in the future.

30. Coelacanth

Coelacanth Guest