Dumb Political Correctness

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Mr. Deez, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

This is what SI swimsuit edition should look like:

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

No way, that's discrimination against ugly girls. "Everyone" has a right to be on the cover of SI regardless of looks, race, gender, sexual orientation.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • poop poop x 1
  3. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

If I argue with you over this, will you post more pics?

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Proving that up is down...the IAAF turned down the appeal of Caster Semenya and have mandated that she take steps to lower the naturally occurring testosterone levels in her blood. The reason is related to 'unfair competitive advantage.'

Nevermind that the same agency will have no qualms with born-males who spent YEARS with testosterone at far higher levels running as women but can now test at a lower level because they took some pills.

Olympic gold medalist loses gender appeal, casting doubt on future

IAAF: IAAF introduces new eligibility regulations for female classification| News | iaaf.org

• WTF? WTF? x 1
  6. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 4
  7. 4th_floor

4th_floor Dude, where's my laptop?

• Like Like x 3
  8. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Quite frankly I hope he wins a crippling amount of money, enough to make the media think about what they are saying before they say it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

He might be able to hustle something, but if he's hoping for "crippling money," he's going to have to be in it for the long haul - long enough to get the Supreme Court to overturn some really awful precedent that makes winning a defamation very hard.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

I suppose I could go look this up, but.... If this guy is not a public figure, isn't he in a better category? Also, is writing, "I hope someone goes over and kills Mr. X" more like "fire" in a theater or fighting words--i.e., something where freedom of opinion isn't really the issue?

11. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Now they are being oppressed by tacos

• WTF? WTF? x 1
  12. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

He's in a better category, but he still has to prove the statements false and prove negligence. That's not too bad, though the common law made defamation a strict liability tort. Furthermore, some jurisdictions made the truth of the defamatory statement an affirmative defense rather than an element of the plaintiff's prima facie case (meaning the burden of proof was on the defendant to prove the statement's accuracy), allowed punitive damages for strict liability, and allowed an award of nominal damages to support an award of punitive damages. Media was a lot more careful back then.

The real problem is that media figures are going to argue that Sandman was a limited purpose public figure. If they win on that point, Sandman will have to prove actual malice, which allows the defendants to play the "I'm stupid" defende. Unless he can find someone within the networks to testify to actual malice (and effectively end his or her career), he won't be able to find the evidence needed to even get his case before a jury.

The US Supreme Court has done with the fighting words doctrine what the Texas Supreme Court has done with premises liability doctrine. They haven't expressly eliminated it, but they've done almost everything they can to narrow it into virtual non-existence.

13. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

Mexican food, as prepared in Mexico, bears only a faint resemblance to the Tex-Mex food we eat up here. We appropriated their culture a long time ago. Now it's our culture. Also, Cinco de Mayo is largely ignored in Mexico. It's celebrated here more than there. I guess we appropriated that too. Viva tacos y margaritas!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

My family moved to Texas in 1974 when I was 5. A Mexican restaurant in southwest Fort Worth called Mi Charito opened that year, I think. Owned and operated by a Mexican family. As Tex Mex back then as anything I have ever eaten, and we went there close to weekly for quite a while. I agree with what you are saying to an extent, but that is probably true for any ethnic foods in this country. The ethnic groups figured out quickly what would sell.

I don't get the whole cultural appropriation thing and what it has to do with food. When you say "we" appropriated food, I am guessing it is a bit tongue in cheek on your part.

15. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

A true cultural appropriator is someone who claims something as his own when he actually ripped it off from some other culture. For example, if you serve tacos and claim that your people invented them and that they have nothing to do with Mexico, then you're an actual cultural appropriator, and frankly, I can understand why it would bother people.

Infinitely more common is some white guy does something that involves a foreign culture, never denies its cultural origin, but uses it to his benefit (such as opening a taco restaurant or wearing a costume or article of clothing). And of course, that has nothing to do with cultural appropriation and everything to do with grievance and coming up with a reason to Whitey-bash. And of course, these idiotic accusations only go one way. If a black guy opens up a Chinese restaurant, are people going to call him a cultural appropriator? Of course not.

16. horninchicago

@Mr. Deez, okay, I do get it then. It's ********. Got it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

When Mexicans in Mexico eat chili, are they appropriating our culture?

• Hot Hot x 1
  18. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Yep, pretty much.

• Hot Hot x 1
  19. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Re: "cultural appropriation" of foods.

Want to start a real sh!tstorm, inform an Arab that Israelis (or at least Middle-Eastern Jews) invented hummus. (it's highly debatable who first concocted the garbanzo bean dip with sesame seed oil, garlic, and spices known as hummus. Every nationality in the Eastern Med. claims it as their own invention.).

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. horninchicago

Here is another good food appropriation. Famous Deep Dish Chicago Style Pizza was invented by a....Texan. My Chicago relations and friends don't want to believe it.

Ike_Sewell

• Like Like x 2
  21. 4th_floor

Real Mexican food in Mexico includes stale crackers instead of chips, gamey tasting meat, chicken, goat, pork or mystery-meat, and lots of grease. They can keep that stuff. Just don't mis-appropriate my Tex-Mex.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  22. 4th_floor

A true cultural appropriator is Robert Francis O'Rourke. FIFY.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

My 67 year old cousin who is exhibit A of the far left wing arrogant hater posted he wanted to punch Nick in the face. It took all my strength not to unfriend him. He has a long list of posts that are absolutely ridiculous. For a grown man to be so wrong yet so aggressive about this is sick to me. Yet he thinks he's smarter than all of us.

24. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

Cinco De Mayo was a big nothing in this country, too, until Corona Beer made a big deal of it in the 80s as part of a marketing campaign.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. LongestHorn

LongestHorn 2,500+ Posts

Isn't hummus an Arab word for chickpeas?

26. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Religion of Peace here in USA. If the translation is accurate :facepalm:

• WTF? WTF? x 1
  27. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

An Iman already confirmed this

28. horninchicago

Guess that isn't hate speech.

29. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Are these people easier to defend than the white nationalists in Charlottesville? If they are, I'm not seeing it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. horninchicago

I don't recall if the Charlottesville people were saying these things. Were they talking about sacrificing themselves and cutting off people's heads?