Dumb Political Correctness

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Mr. Deez, Feb 8, 2012.

1. NJlonghorn

NJlonghorn 2,500+ Posts

The left thinks the entire right has gone full crackpot. The right thinks the entire left has gone full crackpot. The truth, imho, is that the crackpots on both sides are very small minorities. The problem is that the internet gives them a voice, and the echo chamber makes them sound much louder than they are.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Bystander
    Can you offer some examples of black athletes saying they think Boston is racist?

3. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

http://www.espn.com/mlb/news/story?id=1824716

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...n-university-racism-colorblind-college-campus

http://archive.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2011/02/19/give_bill_russell_his_due/

Russell wrote about it — sometimes movingly, sometimes sardonically — in his 1979 memoir, “Second Wind.’’

“Boston itself was a flea market of racism,’’ he wrote. “It had all varieties, old and new, and in their most virulent form. The city had corrupt, city hall-crony racists, brick-throwing, send-’em-back-to-Africa racists, and in the university areas phony radical-chic racists. . . . Other than that, I liked the city.’’

These are anecdotes. I've read about it over the years. I've always felt the North skated by on its racial issues because the South has so much to answer for...

4. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

A few dumbasses on the internet being trumpeted by a few more dumbasses trying to overemphasize their impact and numbers to paint a narrative. Just another day on the internet.

5. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Hope you're right. I've seen a lot in my Facebook feed.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Boston had riots incident to desegregation and busing. Don't assume that just because a city is liberal that its people like blacks. Plenty of white liberals are extremely hypocritical on race issues. It's one thing for a liberal to pander to blacks to make himself look good. It's quite another to tell him those same blacks will be going to school with his kids or that his kid will get pulled from his own school and forced into a ghetto school.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I don't know about "most," but your point is probably right.

8. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Plenty = 99+%

9. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

By
    Who is jailyn Gladney?
    Barry Bonds? he never played in Boston.
    If you read the entire Bill Russell link it report that even Ted Williams was not embraced by people of Boston. But the Russell article dated in 2011shows a change from the 70's

So your links show 1 black athlete who played there 50-60 years ago . I am sure it was racist then. I am sure if one tries actions could be interpreted as racist now.

but one black athlete from over 50 years ago is not black athletes saying Boston is racist. How many black players are on the Patriots? Celtics? Red Sox? there is a hockey too I think but doubt there are any blacks on it.
    I am no fan of Boston, just think exaggeration does not prove a point.

10. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

11. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Yeah, I may have been a little to heavy on the "most" comment. I don't want to be sloppy on my posts. I have nothing but a general feeling from what I've read over the years from various black athletes but Bill Russell's comments stuck in my mind.

• Like Like x 1
  12. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Of course, I can't win on this one. I don't have 50 articles to back me up. It's what I've read over the years that gave me the impression.

I am aware the Ted Williams had a volatile relationship with the media but that doesn't prove that Boston is not racist.

13. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

It's from a conservative site that's obviously reveling in it, but this article gives some idea how the politicizing of the Super Bowl got crazy. It looks like the media made a big deal about Brady's and Kraft's support for Trump and pondered questions about the morality of backing a team whose owner and QB back Trump. Making the leap to white supremacy was probably the acts of Internet freaks, but the mainstream media and their favored pundits made this about Trump, which likely inspired the freaks.

14. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I have always hated moral equivalents arguments.

In this instance, it's simple -- Take what happened at the Tea Party protests (what actually happened, not what was reported happening) where you basically had a bunch of old ladies holding American flags
    Then compare that to the actual physical violence and actual destruction of property at Cal.

These are not moral equivalents.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

17. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

I was at the Capitol in 2010-11 and I did not see a bunch of old ladies holding American flags. I saw a bunch of old men dressed in revolutionary war outfits harrassing everyone. Was there violence? No, not saying that at all. However, they were loud, unorganized, annoying and you cannot take someone wearing a tri cornered hat wanting to show you an hour long video of flag poles that have american flags (not the flags, the poles themselves) seriously. Anyway, it was not an old lady garden party.

Now I will say the Tea Party protesters were nowhere near as annoying as the pro choice nuts.

• Like Like x 2
  18. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

The tea party even cleaned up their trash when they were protesting. When have you ever saw that?

Can you post a video of that? Because I'm pretty sure if that happened CNN and the MSM would have exploited it over and over.

19. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Trumprican West Mall: where I am told my life experiences did not happen unless there is CNN video. Why do I even share?

Here is something anyone at the Texas State Capitol will tell you, a lot of nuts come in and harass staffers from various political beliefs all session and it is not on tv. A cousin of mine is a staffer and she texted me this morning complaining about a group protesting a small local issue that was generally rude and harassing staffers. Hell there are a plethora of aholes in this state that call in to their local rep and instead of just offering opinions (which staff are happy to take), they take out their anger and frustration on 20 year olds who just work there, call them rude names, etc. Ive seen people call and berate 20 year old female interns at their local state reps office just because.

I am not even anti-tea party. I was early on board the Cruz train. I even have a pictures of Ted and I at political dinners in 2013 to prove it, but I am sure as **** not posting a picture of myself so go believe whatever fits your worldview.

Anyway, some tea party people, like any other group, were rude, came into offices and harassed staffers and others back in 2010-11. It was a problem. Now that you have got me thinking about it, I watched the session opening day from the gallery and tea party people behind me wouldnt leave the elderly black lady sitting next me alone. She just wanted to watch, like me. They would not shut up and kept telling her that her political views were wrong even though she sat next to me the whole time and never expressed any. It was pretty bad and, as a conservative who had an interest in the tea party at the time, I was pretty damn embarrassed about how stupid and rude they were. Yes, I was there and witnessed the initial cluster of idiots that were present when the tea party started that were chasing conspiracy theories like the New World Order.

As I also said, the pro choice nuts were the worst when it came to harassing, but I do not have any video so I guess we can all agree that no one who is pro choice ever harasses anyone.

Now I am sure if I started writing my personal insider stories about what an idiot Wendy Davis is or her grand Jihad against cement, these same posters would not demand evidence since it would fit their world views.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  20. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I'd love to hear about it. Insider stories are cool. I have no dog in the hunt per se; just like to know what these people are really like in person. We only get the hype from the media.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

This is so true, and the gun people are the weirdest. Back in 1997, I took a call from a dirty old man who was asking if my boss was in favor of a pro-gun bill. He was a Republican, so of course he was for it. He was pleased, and that would have made it a perfectly normal call. However, he decided to talk a little more, and it went down like this. For context, I was 20 at the time, but I was a paid staff member, not an intern, so I couldn't dump him off on anybody. In fact, an intern actually transferred the call to me.

Constituent - "Did he (my boss) have anything to do with closing down those brothels up in Frisco? (The "brothels" were nude modeling studios that had been shut down about 8 years earlier.)

Deez - "Not that I'm aware of, sir."

Constituent - "Good. They put a lot of good girls out of work. It was a damn shame."

Deez - "I see."

Constituent - "You sound like a young man."

Deez - "Yes sir."

Constituent - "Are you married?"

Deez - "No sir."

Constituent - "Well, you have my number. When you get married, give me a call, and I will show your young, pretty wife how to pleasure a man. And I'll do that for you free of charge."

Deez - after about 10 seconds of dead silence in which I wondered if I had heard him correctly - "I appreciate your generosity, Sir, but I'm going to have to let you go. An urgent call is on hold for me."

Needless to say, I never spoke to this guy again, though somehow I wonder if he's now on Hornfans.

As for obnoxious people, teachers had the pro-aborts beat. They banged on desks, yelled at my boss, used foul language, etc. And they were horrified if you had the audacity to question anything that came out of their mouths.

• Like Like x 2
  22. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Too many good people still around the Capitol to get too detailed, but the short of it is there are a lot of good republicans and democrats there working together to better our state and there are some loose cannon republicans and democrats there that somehow got elected and accomplish nothing worthwhile. I was shocked when "the crazy lady from fort worth that is counterproductive to even her own fellow democrats and hates cement" suddenly became the democratic nominee for governor. She, unsurprisingly if you were aware of her pre filibuster, ran a terrible campaign and got destroyed in the election.

Haha I forgot about the teachers! You are right about them!

I am not there anymore, but from what I hear from friends and family still there, they have really been having trouble with militant one local issue environmental groups. There is one in the San Antonio area that is REALLY bad and had people keep calling on the phone and telling a poor young female intern for a state rep she was a See You in the North Territories for some reason.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I think it depends on what issues are driving the session. In '97, there was a large surplus, and Bush was pushing for property tax relief. (His proposal wasn't particularly good. I preferred Talmadge Heflin's proposal to eliminate the property tax and boost the sales tax, but that never had a chance.) Naturally, the teacher groups (especially the obnoxious TSTA and TFT) were wanting to gut the tax relief and blow as much of the surplus on themselves as possible - a substantial, across the board raise, state-funded health insurance, and increasing the TRS multiplier. I almost wanted to see those initiatives fail just to piss them off.

And of course, that was also the session when the motorcycle helmet law was repealed. That meant some very weird dudes in the office, including a lobbyist who simply went by "Sputnik." He and the bikers were weird, but they were friendly and well-informed and effective. They reeked of stale cigarettes, and we had to keep a can of Lysol in the office, but they were effective.

• Like Like x 1
  24. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

H, it's amazing how we only have few small amount of right leaning media network or agencies and they catches mounds and mounds of misbehaviors at every direction at leftist protest or riots and the majority of the lefty networks that are sleazy and will make up crap if they can't find anything doesn't catch anything on film about the tea party. It's laughable when you try to compare the two. I just don't remember the Tea Party stopping a major highway to protest. I don't ever remember the tea party looting store, bashing police windows, starting fires. I don't remember the Tea Party bunch going around and punching or spraying pepper spray in the faces of people that disagree with them.

Let's cut the BS! You can't get away with well both sides have their bad so let's call it even. 99.99% of the loonies are in your party. You lose all credibility when you try to claim both parties are the same. Maybe in some ways but not when it comes to civility.

25. Seattle Husker

LOL! H is not a Democrat. What is it with the "you're with us or against us mentality"? I wish the world was as simple as that.

• Like Like x 2
  26. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

I never said the tea party did any of these things. I voted for Cruz and was in with his tea party revolution against Dewhurst in 2012. I just said when the Tea Party was really protesting in 2010-2011 at the Texas State Capitol it was not an old lady garden party. There were angry douches like with any other group (Deez and I discussed various different groups). The party also did have some crazy nuts in it, just like the occupy movement did. Not everyone in either movement was a crazy nut, but you better believe both had crazy nuts! There certainly was not anything like violence at Berkeley with the Tea Party I saw in 2010-11. I never said there was. I certainly do not support violence at Berkeley or anywhere. Hell, one of the things I do agree with Trump on is defunding Berkeley, because I am mad they beat us at football twice and I am very anti-Bill Powers and Greg Fenves, but being for defunding Berkeley is probably not a reasonable or fair position on my part. There are violent loons on the right though. Look at the people that occupied the federal refuge in Oregon. I would note that I, Seattle and others have condemned violence at BLM protests and at Oregon because we do not support nuts no matter their views.

I am a conservative. I have an economics degree and certainly am for less government. However, I do not want to return to the no regulation 1800s either. I do think the federal government has gotten out of hand, but I also think many programs are vital in the 21st century. I agree with Bill Maher, for example, that we should get rid of the Federal Department of Education. Education really is not what the federal government was meant to do and as Maher said "has it done anything good? Our education system is worse now than it was in 1980 when that department was founded." I am very much against Obamacare. Like the GOP, I do not know exactly what I would replace it with, but it has definitely made healthcare worse. On the other hand, I am absolutely for Social Security and Medicare. I do not think a modern, first world country should be without those things.

I jumped off the Cruz train after he supported Trump, but I have generally been a Cruz person. In the primaries I liked Cruz, Rand Paul and Huckabee, who I have met when he was Governor of Arkansas. He was very friendly, personable and amiable. Maybe he is not, history has shown over and over you really never know, but Huckabee is one of the few politicians I have met that seemed genuine.

I do not really have a party. I have voted in both the democratic and republican primaries in different presidential election years. I usually vote 30% GOP 30% Dem and 40% Libertarian since I vote on the person not the party. I am probably best described as a conservative independent. This last election i voted far more republican (or any one party) than I ever have before. It was the first time ever I did not vote for any libertarians since I could not go with Gary Johnson like I did not in 2012 after his various 2016 gaffes. I went 65% GOP, 30% Dem and 5% other. I did not vote for Trump or Hillary and wrote in someone as a protest.

Both parties are not the same in general. However, I do agree both parties have a problem with "us against them" and looniness right now from some of their supporters. It is especially bad with hardcore pro Trumpers and hardcore anti Trump liberals. I find myself day-to-day arguing with both. It depends on the forum. On Trumpican Hornfans, I am more likely to criticize Trump. Around my Bernie friends, I am more likely to defend some (certainly not all) of his policies. I am certainly not pro-Trump, but I do not like the hardcore anti-Trump protesters either. I think I really do not like Trump because he is so damn polarizing and it is hard to have reasonable discussions about his pros and cons. Excluding a liberal TA I had at UT in a government class (who was from england and wasn't even an American), I never had problems discussing pros and cons about W or Obama with liberals or conservatives like I have with discussing Trump with hardcore Trumpicans or hardcore anti-Trump liberals. I do think a lot of people on both sides look uncivil and both have turned me off. I am not alone.

Just taking some names from this page and not a complete list so no one feel left out, but I tend to think, correct me if I am wrong, despite all of us having different viewpoints and big disagreements on various issues, Deez, NJ, Seattle and I all are turned off by the hardcore pro and hardcore anti Trump people and the polarization. I think all of us would like to see (and again this is not meant to be a complete list of hornfans posters that think this way) reasonable discussion of issues and reasonable compromise from our government even if we passionately disagree on the issues. As passionate as we might be about various issues, I think all of us would like to see all americans working together to reasonable compromise over "us against them" and "winner take all". Posters like Seattle and I who often disagree on the issues themselves are coming together and agreeing on the unreasonableness we are seeing. I agree with NJ above that the hardcore are not the majority in either party, but the hardcore on both sides right now are tending to push out people on both sides who may otherwise agree with them, possibly more moderately, on many of the issues.

No, I do not like the anti-free speech and anti-america stances I see from college campus extremists. I have gotten a lot of laughs out of this thread, especially from that bowling green lab equipment that girl thought was in the Klan. However, I do not like the extreme "us against them" and unreasonableness from the Trump people either. I strongly prefer reasonable discourse with someone I disagree with over unreasonableness like "if it was not on tape and does not fit with my worldview, it never happened."

Also, sometimes I am restricted on how much I can say about certain things if I use an example from personal experience. I have worked in the private and public sector in my life and am currently an attorney. In my experience there are good people in government and bad people in government. There are good businessmen and bad businessmen. I would not place my faith in the government and do not want to give it unchecked power like the left does, but I would not place my faith in businessmen and do not want to give them unchecked power like the right does either. Rant complete.

• Like Like x 3
  27. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Excellent. I have nothing to add, at least not until I come up with something.

• Like Like x 1
  28. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I was hoping the Tea Party would stick to one item and not go on religious tangents:

THE FEDERAL DEBT.

I was hoping/thinking that is what they were about. Spending is out of control. The debt doubled in the past eight years and somebody has to care. I thought possibly that is why so many Republicans hated Cruz because he didn't play their go along to get along and pretend we hate the Democrats while we pretend to govern manner.

• Like Like x 1
  29. Seattle Husker

If the Tea Party stuck with a fiscal conservative platform and stayed away from social issues I may have been able to get on board. OK, some of you can pick yourself up off the floor now.

• Like Like x 2
  30. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts