Dumb Political Correctness

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Mr. Deez, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Does anyone on here disagree with Professor Lowery says you shouldn't implement a policy without hearing both sides? He goes on to list the many ways the opposition of students and faculty to the CRT was shut down by the University.
    Yea opposing something is racist

2. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

I knew okies were ignorant. Apparently they prefer to stay that way

Melania Trump posted a statement to her website on Friday expressing that she was "disappointed but not surprised" when an Oklahoma school specializing in advanced computer science skills rejected her donation. The donation was made on behalf of the former first lady's foundation, Fostering the Future, a Be Best Initiative, which she started shortly after her time in the White House.

Melania gives background on the donation attempt in the intro to her statement:

Recently, a computer science school founded in Silicon Valley with a campus in Oklahoma agreed to work with Fostering the Future. Multiple scholarships were going to be granted through the school's preferred designated fund, based in Tulsa, with the first class of students enrolling in Fall 2022. I had signed the Designated Fund Agreement and was waiting for the countersignature when the school informed me it would no longer participate. They would not accept scholarship dollars for deserving students—even as an anonymous gift. It was made clear to me that the school's Board of Directors organized a politically-motivated decision.

• poop poop x 5
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
  3. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

They won't be.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

She didn't get any medals competing; therefore the "overall American team" got the same number of medals regardless if she had competed or not.

Not just hers though - she risked causing all her gymnastics teammates to not get medals also. By subbing out and letting another team member take her place, the USA was able to recover (they were on pace not to place in the top 3) and medal in the event.

By your own account, this was not the case for Shiffrin, and her crashes weren't bringing down anybody else.

5. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

This is more humans had to re-define because of the hatred of humans on humans. One can argue that jews are not a race. I think they're not technically a race. You know who thought they were a race? Hitler. The guy who tried to wipe them off the face of the earth. So, they have a unique identity that requires a re-definition. It's not like we need to be careful or they may be oppressed. They'e been oppressed SIGNIFICANTLY.

6. guy4321

guy4321 2,500+ Posts

How did the Jews live with a definition of racist from the 1940s to 2020s but now it needs a re-definition?

7. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Good question. Again, I questioned it myself. Then someone highlighted Hitler and I thought about it and I questioned it less. I was being too literal. Here are a few quotes:

"but the annihilation of the Jewish race in Europe!"
    "With satanic joy in his face, the black-haired Jewish youth lurks in wait for the unsuspecting girl whom he defiles with his blood, thus stealing her from her people."
    "Our racial pride is not aggressive except in so far as the Jewish race is concerned."
    "The result will be the extermination of the Jewish race in Europe."

I think a more rational response is "yeah, I see what you're saying. It's a confusing issue."

I mean around 7,000,000 people were murdered by a guy who called it a race. Maybe we should fall back based on that. Seems like we've got bigger fish to catch out there.

8. guy4321

guy4321 2,500+ Posts

And to my point - MW already has us covered. No need to re-define:

"a belief that race is a fundamental determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race"

Definition of RACISM

• Like Like x 1
  9. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

She missed out on individual medals as well which she was the heavy favorite to win at least a couple and the all around.

10. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

But she was worried about the team events. How is that difficult for you to accept? The “second string” American gymnast is better than most and, in her mind, more effective than her.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Vol Horn 4 Life

Because nobody is better than her and she quit.

12. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

You're not this way in real life, right? She was "injured" in her view and thought someone could do it better as she knew their skills. Pretty mature if you ask me. I was a kicker in high school. There was a senior in front of me who was better than me. He was a QB/DB who kicked it that fancy "soccer" style and I was a G/DT with a square toe. I screwed up my knee on Tuesday night's game (it still bothers me 39 years later). The team we were playing that Friday night ran some mickey mouse kick off return with some significant changes of direction. After my knee popped on the first kickoff I told him that he should do the kickoffs the rest of the night as I thought I was a) a liability out there and b) knew he was better at defending that than me. That's what she did. It is memorable 39 years later because I made that call without telling the coach and got my butt reamed, as was reasonable. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Vol Horn 4 Life

Injured? She quit because of her mental condition which could result in a physical injury. Too much pressure.

14. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. BrntOrngStmpeDe

BrntOrngStmpeDe 1,000+ Posts

When Biles decided to not compete because she felt unable we should have treated it like a football player who had a back injury. We shouldn't have been so critical of her decision, but we also shouldn't have tried to turn her into a hero/martyr for dropping out.

As for the sex abuse stuff. I hope they take care of Nassar in prison, but I have yet to understand the complaints against MSU, US Gymnastics ,etc. From everything I've seen, it was the FBI that dropped the ball. I guess you can't get a large settlement from the FBI though. In my opinion, this sort of thing should never be the responsibility of the school or the organization. It is a crime and there should always be an immediate and required referral to a law enforcement agency and they should then be responsible.

16. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

In a comprehensive look at the overall careers, that's probably true. For that particular day, the evidence suggests most of the other competitors were better.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Hollandtx

Hollandtx 250+ Posts

Regarding Mikeala Shiffrin, she has been the #1 ranked ski racer in the World for the past few years.
    World Championships are more important to the skiers than the Olympics. The Olympics are just the only time we care about them!
    They ski all season and accrue points, then declare the Champion.
    She is solid as they come, usually technically and mentally sound, and wins.
    A lot.
    This Olympic Games was sort of like Micheal Jordon missing 90% of his shots in every Olympic Game. She has never had an issue with falling, or DNF.

She was incredibly close to her father, who started coaching her and her siblings at a young age. He saw the potential in her, and up and moved the family to Utah so she could receive top notch training.
    He was at every event, always taking pictures of Mikaela skiing, and the family having fun. I was much closer to my mom than my dad, but I understand the bond between a parent and a child. Somehow and sometimes they are the only people who can say or do the right thing. My mom could make everything better.

Her dad died unexpectedly from a fall, and her first event was 2 days away from the second anniversary. It was her first Olympics without him.
    It hit her so hard that she wanted to totally quit skiing.
    It took her days to even get out of bed. Then she was back competing all over the world, and doing well.
    Something was triggered for her at the Olympics, in my humble opinion I think it was missing her dad more than the media crush. I'm sure that didn't help.
    When I saw her at the gate before her first run, I told my friends that she was going to fall. Her face was blank. She looked miserable.
    And then to fall, when she literally hadn't fallen in an event in years was totally unbelievable to her. She was totally bewildered, and even questioned her ability to ski well at all.

Things snowballed from there, (heh, see what I did there) And, to her credit, she made no excuses about the crappy snow, the horrible conditions, her grief.
    She owned it, flat out saying that she failed.
    Her last event was a team event. 2 women, 2 men, just going down a short slalom course against another team as fast as possible. She did well, she drew the red course, which was so much slower than the blue it wasn't funny. They would have won bronze, but the other female skied out, (as did her opponent, but her opponent made it farther down before going out of bounds) Should have been a do-over.

But, Mikaela said it was so much fun because she loved being on a team.
    She looked like she had faced her fears and was back on track. Time will tell, but I believe she will. She if young, and incredibly talented. She never quit, she kept going out and trying, even though gate 9 was in her head, and she had nightmares every night about falling.
    I wish the media had learned from the Simone Biles situation to ease back on the pressure on our athletes. They are humans first, and everyone reacts differently to pressure, grief, the yips.

And, because I know how important it is to y'all to be "hot" she fills that bill, too!

Event 1st 2nd 3rd
    Olympic Games
    2 1 0
    World Championships 6 2 3
    Total 8 3 3
    Olympic Games
    [​IMG] 2014 Sochi Slalom
    [​IMG] 2018 Pyeongchang Giant slalom
    [​IMG] 2018 Pyeongchang Combined
    World Championships
    [​IMG] 2013 Schladming Slalom
    [​IMG] 2015 Beaver Creek Slalom
    [​IMG] 2017 St. Moritz Slalom
    [​IMG] 2019 Åre Slalom
    [​IMG] 2019 Åre Super-G
    [​IMG] 2021 Cortina d'Ampezzo Combined
    [​IMG] 2017 St. Moritz Giant slalom
    [​IMG] 2021 Cortina d'Ampezzo Giant slalom
    [​IMG] 2019 Åre Giant slalom
    [​IMG] 2021 Cortina d'Ampezzo Super-G
    [​IMG] 2021 Cortina d'Ampezzo Slalom

18. Vol Horn 4 Life

19. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

To summarize: “Don’t engage or I will fling **** on everything, including myself.”

Got it.

20. Vol Horn 4 Life

No, to summarize: You don't like hearing the truth. I didn't fling any poop, I simply stated facts that you apparently don't like to read or hear similar to 99% of other liberals.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

As you sling poo. Carry on.

22. Vol Horn 4 Life

Gotcha...truth = poo.

23. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

What truth? You're criticizing a gymnast who was the victim of sexual abuse at the hands of the team doctor for tapping out and letting one of her TEAMmates take her place in one of the events for the TEAM. It was a TEAM event and not an individual competition. But, hey, keep fighting on that petty hill.

24. Vol Horn 4 Life

LOL, no I criticized a gymnast who quit over her mental condition. She had no problem at all with all the other competitions and qualifiers but when things didn't go right at the Olympics she quit citing the pressures that built up over "unrealistic expectations". As many Americans like me didn't buy her BS then it was redirected to sexual abuse. Sexual abuse didn't make her quit in the middle of the olympics.

25. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Got it. Poo. Take care!

26. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

27. guy4321

guy4321 2,500+ Posts

Here's what he said:
    “This isn’t a place, with all due respect, like Iraq or Afghanistan, that has seen conflict raging for decades. This is a relatively civilized, relatively European — I have to choose those words carefully, too — city, where you wouldn’t expect that or hope that it’s going to happen.”

"relatively European" is the only phrase I see that's mean, though none of the wording is factually incorrect. The other two are not any where near as civilized because of the decades of conflict. Didn't Ukraine have a great twenty year streak of no warzones from the 90s to 2014?

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Should have used “secure” instead of civilized to be more accurate.

29. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  30. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

No, but when does that ever matter to the PC crowd?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1