Dumb Political Correctness

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Mr. Deez, Feb 8, 2012.

1. NJlonghorn

NJlonghorn 2,500+ Posts

I don't think the Bible (Old or New) is nearly so clear on the point as you do. Passages of the Bible can be read to show that life begins before conception, at conception, or at birth (or, more precisely, upon the first breath).

But putting that aside, and assuming that the bible is clear on the point -- choosing to put absolute faith in a book is arbitrary, imo. Yes, I know, it is THE BOOK. But your belief that it is THE BOOK is itself arbitrary. By its very nature, faith is turtles all the way down.

2. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

What the Bible says doesn't really directly affect things one way or the other to me. The most arbitrary thing going on here is the use of standards such as "independence" that don't apply to other humans.

I don't think it has anything to do with the beliefs of the society, but that Christmas is the name of the National Holiday (which is just as much a secular Holiday anyway) and saying Merry Christmas is no different than saying Happy New Year, Happy Thanksgiving, Happy Halloween, or anything else.

That isn't the only explanation though (and I'm not mad about it, just find it silly).

3. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Not sure what to think of this.

4. NJlonghorn

NJlonghorn 2,500+ Posts

Oh.
    My.
    God.

5. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

Asians love lighter skin. The lighter the better. Just walk around Manila as a white man sometime you'll instantly know what I mean. Light skin says "money" in Asia.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Do they walk around flashing their white penises?

• Like Like x 1
  7. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

White privilege

• Like Like x 2
  8. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

Thread derailed... :D

• Like Like x 1
  9. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

"White White?"

10. ProdigalHorn

It was funny, a friend of mine posted on facebook sharing an image of one actress at the show wearing a black dress that was pretty much showed everything, with the tagline "nothing says "stop treating me like a sex object" like showing up wearing that!"

• Like Like x 1
  11. Seattle Husker

Being "treat(ed) like a sex object" and sexual harassment are synonymous?

12. ProdigalHorn

No, they're not.

13. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

Not synonymous but not unrelated. Men who sexually harass women treat them like sex objects. But the statement in reverse isn't true.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Seattle Husker

What I'm trying to get at is the that the statement that PH posted inferred that dressing sexy results in harassment or at the very least harassment is understandable.

15. ProdigalHorn

No, you inferred it.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Sangre Naranjada

Implied
    Inferred

The dictionary is your friend, SH.

17. Seattle Husker

Thank you for your valuable contribution to the discussion. I inferred, PH's friend implied.

18. Sangre Naranjada

Good boy! You can be taught!

Have a cookie.

19. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

Like so many things (okay..."as in so many things") we don't have a very developed set of definitions in the sexual harassment world. Probably almost everyone would agree that "dressing sexy" does not justify rape or anything like it. (I would, however, nevertheless advise my daughters not to dress in such a way when going to some large-crowd or uncontrollable situation, or even on a date with a fairly unknown person--and that seems rationally related to minimizing the risk of her being a victim--so there is SOMETHING to it....)

Anyway, anything that is rape, groping, threatening that a job is in danger if sex is not given, deliberate and repeated insulting or belittling--these should never occur no matter how a person dresses. A lot of this category is outright criminal.

On the other hand, a lot of what is also called sexual harassment is more in the nature of commenting that a woman looks sexy or desirable or actions in the nature of a wolf whistle, or misconstruing a professional relationship as a social one by complementing or asking a girl out or sending a gift or whatever, or maybe even just staring at a woman's boobs or whatever, or maybe some guys in the breakroom saying how amazing girl X looks and how they would like to have a piece of her, etc.

In this second category, which ranges from being at least rude or unprofessional and at most to a violation of a civil law, there is no doubt whatsoever that how the woman dresses directly affects and invites this type of difficulty. Pretty much every woman looks in the mirror before she goes out into public. If she chooses to show 80% of her boob, she is intentionally wanting people to look at that and notice. She WANTS the men and the women to talk about her great body when they are hanging around the water cooler.

So, yes, if the new social war is to make women free from the wolf whistle types of harassment or objectification (and I am not positive whether this would be good or not), then the way the actresses portray themselves in public is not consistent with that. So, yes, it is a bit hypocritical.

(Note: I am not sure, but I think women should be able to dress any way they want, but if they dress sexy, they need to have the "balls" to give it right back to the commenters--if they get asked on a date or to dance or whistled at, they need to just laugh and say, "dream on, I'm out of your league," or whatever, and not get all victim-y about it.)

• Like Like x 4
  20. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Of course if you bring this up, you're labeled a "victim-blamer."

• Like Like x 1
  21. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

I would rather say that it is “victim prevention.” As I said, with respect to the hardest core types of mistreatment of women such as sexual assault, I look at it as a father of daughters. Post-event, I would never say or imply that it was her fault, nor reduce any culpability of the criminal. Pre-event, I would advise that if you go into X situation dressed in Y getup, you are increasing the odds of a bad result.

For what I’m calling wolf whistle types of things, I would do a little of both. For example, if my grown daughter complained that guys at the resort pool whistled at her as she went by in her thong bikini, I would probably say she needs to toughen up or just not wear that bikini in public. I don’t call it victim blaming because I don’t see it as much of a victim.

I wouldn’t be past confronting the guys in the hot tub myself if they were obnoxious, but that would be regular chivalry and an effort to make her feel more comfortable and protected on an ongoing basis, not because something awful had happened.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Don't get the wrong idea. I completely agree. However, in the current political climate, saying or suggesting that a woman should show any degree of judgment in what they wear or how they act is viewed as victim-blaming. It's viewed as a "she was asking for it" type of criticism of the victim. I don't think that's right, but that's reality in the current climate. And of course, talk if chivalry would be attacked as "perpetuating the patriarchy."

Of course, all you have to do to turn this on its head is change the ethnicity or religion of the attacker to an Arabic or Islamic man. I see that over here routinely. German women are encouraged to wear clothes that do not "tempt" Muslim men and to stay out of their areas. Gotta love intersectionality.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  23. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

Sexual harassment has included "being asked out or flirted with by a man you find unattractive" since they invented the term.

• Like Like x 2
  24. ProdigalHorn

Sometimes I wonder if that's a sign of something. I remember reading some model (I think Chrissie Tiegen or someone) who was going through airport security and some man asked her for her phone number. She proceeded to tweet about how she felt like she was being attacked, and hunted, and unsafe, and all that fun stuff.

I'm starting to wonder whether in SOME cases (not all), the feeling of safety has been so watered down, that in this country it has little or no connection with actual, physical safety. So when we talk about "safety measures" in this country (i.e. don't walk down a dark alley in a bad neighborhood half-naked), we focus on the idea that the "threat" is probably guys whistling, making comments, following, and maybe even grabbing something. And the response is "why should we cater to that? They don't have the right, and I shouldn't have to change the way I dress just because some guys are perverts. Patriarchy!!"

The stakes in Germany have clearly become a lot more severe than that. All of a sudden, when it's about actual, physical safety, those precautions start to seem a lot more rational.

25. Seattle Husker

This was funny given the direction the conversation has gone. I have witnessed #MeToo confessions from women that seemed to simply be flirting or a proposition, not harassment.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  26. n64ra

n64ra 1,000+ Posts

Wouldn't it be odd if a person who said 'lock your car' was labeled a victim-blamer instead of as proposing a good idea?

• Like Like x 2
  27. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

You're giving the feminist Left way too much credit and assigning them far better intentions than they deserve.

• Like Like x 1
  28. ProdigalHorn

What can I say, I'm a woke dude... :D

• Like Like x 1
  29. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Next time I see a feminist with a man - “is really an ally or does he just want to get laid?”

• Like Like x 1
  30. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

For most dudes who pitch feminism as it's defined today, it's a rap to get chicks.