Dynamo Acquiring Land for Downtown Stadium

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by The Bull, Jan 9, 2008.

1. The Bull

The Bull < 25 Posts

The Link

Anyone know where the location is?

2. Knoxville-Horn

Knoxville-Horn 1,000+ Posts

I'm from Dallas and the Dynamo are the only non-Dallas team that I root for. I will not support any team (Dallas) with Carlos Ruiz on its roster.
    Anyway, that's cool that they're getting their own stadium. Soccer specific stadiums are the way to go right now in this Country.

3. 89Horn

89Horn 25+ Posts

4. JJxvi

JJxvi 100+ Posts

5. Knoxville-Horn

I wonder if this will put Houston in the running for some international matches. Columbus' stadium seats about 24,000 and is an awesome place to watch, among other things, the US kick Mexico's ***.
    It may be too far south to garner any qualifying games -- other than maybe Canada. (I would assume the US Soccer Assoc. would not want to schedule anything against a Concacaf team as the US would probably be the "road" team in Houston.)
    They could probably play some friendlies there....

6. IcyHotStunta

IcyHotStunta 100+ Posts

I still think Reliant would get the lion's share of good exhibition matches in Houston. I think it would only help attract more Mexican clubs playing in Houston, but that's already gotten a bit played out now.

I'm glad the Dynamo will have a new stadium near downtown. I just hope they do a good job of scheduling games that aren't simultaneously played when the Astros have home games. Parking would be quite a ***** if a combined 65k people flocked into downtown.

7. The Bull

The Bull < 25 Posts

Isn't Metro trying to put rail down Rusk?

8. DeadHeadHorn

DeadHeadHorn 500+ Posts

9. Larry T. Spider

Larry T. Spider 1,000+ Posts

10. Knoxville-Horn

Well, I meant more along the lines of qualifyers, but I get your point.

11. DeadHeadHorn

DeadHeadHorn 500+ Posts

12. IcyHotStunta

IcyHotStunta 100+ Posts

I think it's a 50% chance that a qualifier in Houston between America and say Canada would sell out a 25k or so stadium. A LOT of the attendance of a sellout would rely heavily on people from a 5-hour or so radius coming down. I don't think Houston itself could sell out a CONCACAF Qualifier match. Dallasites would have to make up a good chunk of the attendance.

I'm hoping that someday US and Nigeria will play in Houston. A few of my Nigerian friends say Houston has the largest Nigerian population in America.

13. Seabrook

Seabrook 25+ Posts

I'm in the Texian Army and have a blast watching games at Robertson, but a SSS downtown will be much better.

I can't wait to see the renderings they come up with.

14. TxEx84

TxEx84 100+ Posts

15. Knoxville-Horn

I saw that, but, the Galaxy was my adopted team. I like Landycakes and Beckham -- partially because one of my best friends is English.
    As far as the MLS goes, I still root for the player over the team. When DC United had Adu, I rooted for them. Like I said, I have been rooting for LA. I guess I'll have to check rosters before the next season.