Eagles Requesting Campus Changes

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by LonghornCatholic, Jun 12, 2020.

1. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

With you Mc, all my athletic life I was always ‘pretty good’ never among those that the girls actually dreamed about.

None of my kids got into UT, as I’ve stated before only two were really what I thought serious candidates, ones valedictorian ended up at Vanderbilt then to law school (her application was lost by UT, the other ended up graduating from Johns Hopkins with an engineering degree. After both rejections I was in a boycotting mood but came back as I disengaged the sports from the fools in academia. Capitulation here might drive me away for good. Have to see just how it all unfolds.

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Why do they not send the money instead to cancer research? Or rape survivors? Or the red cross? Or to the poor in africa/india/etc? There are million better non-political causes if we want to talk about charities in general. This is a political power play. Money given to the State of Texas, through the University of Texas, should stay with the State of Texas.

Now, if Tom Herman and Del Conte want to put their $ where their mouths are and donate most of his ridiculous salaries to BLM, more power to them. Why do we not just demand they take it out of their salaries? #MakeHermanAndDelConteDonate

In fact, this is a brilliant idea. I think it is time to start tweeting at 1%er millionaires Herman and Del Conte asking them if they are donating?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

I'm sorry Jimmy, but if all the people at the store were white then whites would be handcuffed.

I have a question about privilege. If only 20% of the US population is black then why are 35% of the people on TV, commercials and in movies black? Is that not black privilege? And just what % of people have a negative connotation when they see a black person? Mostly it's just the opposite, especially with women. Certainly corporate america is slobbering all over themselves to hire blacks to claim unity and diversity.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  4. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

There is a class of colored people who make a business of keeping the troubles the wrongs and the and the hardships of the Negro race before the public. Some of these people do not want the Negro to lose his grievances because they do not want to lose their jobs. There’s a certain class of race solvers, who don’t want the patient to get well - Booker T Washington educator, author, orator, and adviser to multiple presidents of the United States

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  5. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

Is renaming Washington DC and the Washington monument not erasing history? What about removing his statues?

Someone like Hogg who was a governor of this state and who gave money to the university is a part of the story of the university. Now, we won't be sucked into a wormhole if his nameplate is removed from the building, but what are we accomplishing?

Its like when children cover their ears and yell "lalalalalalala" so they can pretend to ignore what the adult in the room is saying. Its just petty and dumb.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

I have a legimate question of you. In an earlier post I mentioned Black Privilege in regards to acceptance into UT. I have witnessed Black Privilege in hiring and promoting in the corporate world. Jesse Jackson has extorted money from big companies for years over this. Then there are the lame city, county, state and federal gov’t quotas. All Black Privilege.

So the question is twofold. What is the special provisions for Black student’s acceptance into UT? And, if her skin was black, could your daughter have been accepted. Just curious.

Perhaps a new demand should be the elimination of All Privilege, Black and White.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. 2003TexasGrad

It's interesting. Institutional and systemic racism against Blacks is literally a federal offense and has been since 1968. Hell, you could make an argument its technically been illegal since 1866 but yes there were lots of loopholes.

Today the only institutional racism I see is affirmative action.

People complaining about 400 years of oppression are crazy. The US didn't even exist 400 or even 300 years ago, and 2020 is a far cry from 1960, yet we are told otherwise by the talking heads who delight in scolding us nightly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

It's quite disturbing to me that, because "The Eyes of Texas" was introduced at a minstrel show, it is irredeemably racist and the intervening ~120 years cannot affect a change, but blacks will vote en masse for members of a party that founded the KKK. If you push a dem on this point, they say it's because the roles have changed. Robert Byrd was a Grand Kleagle (or something like that) in the KKK but nobody is tearing his statues down because "he repented of his racism", yet The Eyes cannot be saved no matter what to these people.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. AustinHorn24

AustinHorn24 250+ Posts

The denial on this thread is incredible.

Why dont some of you guys ask Vince Young if the only racism in the USA is affirmative action? Why not ask Ricky Williams or Earl Campbell?

All of you should be required to live with a black family for a few months. Open your ******* eyes.

• poop poop x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
  10. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

@AustinHorn24 actually, you should be required to live with a black family for a few months. A lot of the posters here are quite familiar with diversity and life. I am betting you are not.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  11. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

@Mr. Deez without derailing the thread too much, you are not my enemy. I know you are a smart, well meaning guy as well. We do agree on 95%. We do disagree on some things. People are not automatons. People will disagree on many things and I prefer we continue to live in a free society that is that way. I am tired of the demands for purity of beliefs and thoughts by the PC thought police. That's unworkable and the enemy of liberty.

However, my irritation with you, is in this case, you are like Neville Chamberlain and are an enabler. Your intentions may have been good, but the results are the results. I believe you personally disagreed with the statues and that's where you draw the line. However, few people had your genuine convictions. You, me and many posters here are well-educated and care about these things. However, 95% of people do not care about any statutes or memorials. It could be the peanut statue in Floresville or the FDR statue in DC or the WWII memorial and most people do not care. 99% of the people that cared or pretending to care about wanting to remove them had an overall bad agenda or did/do not care and are just afraid of not offending anyone. The end goal of those with the bad agenda is not simply removing southern history.

Like Chamberlin, you did not care if Germany annexed the Sudetenland or Austria. Hell, in abstract, why are Germany and Austria separate countries at all? However, you enabled them to invade Poland.

Now, the BLM movement has invaded Poland, some people are waking up, and yes, all of the enablers are partially to blame. The 20th and 21st century have proven the slippery slope to be the most correct argument again and again. It has also proven that appeasement does not work when people have bad intentions.

The correct response when this started was to leave all statues, names and traditions alone. Instead we should have just incorporated new, more diverse statues, names and traditions into society. That would have been inclusive. Instead we are going the exclusive route to hate, disunity and misery.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hot Hot x 1
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
  12. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

I get that, but are you going to quit playing after every slight or insult on campus? How does that solve anything?

13. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

I would imagine that someone at BLM or Kapernick wrote it.

14. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Jimmy Kimmel is and has always been a hypocritical sellout.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Additionally, can someone explain to me what a bad cop in Minneapolis, Minnesota aka the north, has to do with confederate statues in the south or the Eyes of Texas? How would ceasing the sing the Eyes of Texas do anything to end police violence, especially in an entirely different part of the country?

• Agree Agree x 6
  16. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

And your solution? Please, we’re waiting...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Why do you assume some of us are not black, Hispanic or Asian? You know why? Because you are racist in that you are stereotyping each one of us based on us pushing back on silly extortion attempts by a mediocre wide receiver. False claims of something being racist that isn’t hurts the cause rather than helps it.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Hot Hot x 1
  18. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

I am tired of people calling me old. I just turned 30! 30 is not old!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  19. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

And to follow, many of those donations likely carried a caveat associated with duty to care for the building and keep the name into perpetuity. If the University no longer desires to abide by the Agreement, then a refund of the contribution is due the family (not unlike in Houston with Hofheinz Pavilion).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  20. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

I would hate to turn 30...

In a few days, I celebrate my 29th birthday...for the 24th time.

• Funny Funny x 5
  21. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

I will absolutely guarantee you that there are indeed places where the color of my white skin makes successfully traversing the area substantially more challenging...

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. UTexRulz23

UTexRulz23 500+ Posts

Appreciate the question.

First I would say that this didn’t seem like a demand to me. Brennan says that they will complete team requirements, practices, etc. They seem to be saying that given the current events and the response of the University and the athletic department, they are creating an opportunity for the powers that be to actually do something beyond lip service. In the letter they don’t say that it happens now immediately or they walk. They’re asking for a plan to be made by the fall. That’s fair!!! If they are ignored by the University and athletic department, then they should be upset. They are ambassadors. Part of that is representing your brand but you never stop representing yourself.

The University’s response to the protests opened the door for this. I think it’s important and frankly awesome that they’re speaking up.

But yeah, I don’t see this as a demand. It’s not extortion. I don’t even necessarily read that it’s an “adopt all these changes or else” type thing. It seems like a jumping off point. The Eyes are a song. I’ve sung it soooo many times. I confess that it’s weird to think of that not being there. But I have to be open to it.

Where would I draw the line? Probably at actual demands, or at least ones that were self-serving and were not justified.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

How can anything a puppet does be self-serving?

• Hot Hot x 2
  24. Omniscient.one

Omniscient.one 500+ Posts

I agree with the move. I don’t see much difference between Calhoun and RLM/Painter. They’re gone and should be. Seems like Hogg has a mixed record and couldn’t find anything beyond Littlefield commissioning statues of Confederate leaders, but I’d bet (a little less money) that they’re gone too. Who really cares about building names and campus statues though? I walked around that campus for 4 years and of those 4 learned learned only about Littlefield (because of Littlefield House), and not much at that. Nobody talked about this stuff in my circle.

25. IvanDiabloHorn

IvanDiabloHorn 1,000+ Posts

Any player that says he will continue to practice and complete team requirements and see if demands are met before the season, needs to be shown the door now.
    If changes are not made to their satisfaction prior to the season, they will not quit prior to the first game. They will make a sh..show and walk off the field during a game. Get rid of them now, they are not in charge. This entire episode should have been nipped the bud by the adults.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Hot Hot x 1
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
  26. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

There was discussion of renaming RLM and Painter when I was in school 25 years ago. It always seemed to come down to what mb227 stated: family members of those who were honored with the building's name would come forward and say "but what about all the great things he did for this university?" and then the people protesting for the name change would seem like the radical fringe element and it would fizzle out. I think we're kind of past that point now, though.

27. 2003TexasGrad

I was raised Muslim by a literal immigrant to this country.

You also misrepresented me. I said affirmative action is institutional racism, ie legal racism. Show me any legal entity where discrimination against Blacks is not only legal but promoted...

• Like Like x 1
  28. EDT

EDT 1,000+ Posts

Chinstrap, I would have bet on her getting into UT if she was black. She had over a 4.0 GPA, honors classes, community service and never in any kind of trouble.

• Agree Agree x 2
  29. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

It looks like a difference of semantics and opinion about the word "racism," much like the difference of semantics and opinion about the term "white privilege" that has been casually tossed around on this forum for the past couple weeks.

30. 2003TexasGrad

"Institutional" racism isn't semantic or opinion.

Its literally illegal under every law except concerning affirnative action. That is completely institutional and completely legal.

• Winner Winner x 1