Economics

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by mojo17, Oct 23, 2013.

1. mojo17

mojo17 1,000+ Posts

Participation in the labor markets are at a forty year low. Unemployment is 7.2% but that number is not indicative of actual unemployment and everyone knows it. This administration has done nothing to improve the situation. I have two boys one is out of college and another is set to graduate in may. I steered them into the medical fields because I believed jobs would always be plentiful. Now I am worried I was wrong. Perhaps a government job of some sort is the answer. I truely feel sorry for young people that are in the job market today our politicians have let you down and we the people who voted for this mess have done the same thing. Change happens gradually and apathy has been a hallmark of the American people for at least the last twenty years. I hope someday things will brighten for you.

2. Larry T. Spider

Larry T. Spider 1,000+ Posts

3. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

I have 3 sons (10, 12, and 14). I've told them they all need to get engineering degrees. Math is the focus. When they reach college I will forbid them from a liberal arts degree though both my wife and I received them. Unfortunately, long gone are the days when you could easily navigate your way into other more profitable occupations with liberal arts degrees.

Now, I don't see how it's the governments job to ensure my kids are taken care of. Are you sure you're not a lefty mojo17? [​IMG]

4. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

I work in the area of information technology (programming, networking, database management, etc.) . My company seems to have a hard time filling positions. Last summer, they couldn't even get summer students to come get paid experience. A 4 year degree in Business Data Systems or Computer Science can start around 50K and move up to six figures easy if they're good.

And, in this field, your worst mistake probaby won't kill anybody and you don't get exposed to diseases or lawsuits.

Look at the contractors who designed and wrote the HealthCare.gov website, it doesn't even work and they got paid beaucoupe.

5. CanaTigers

CanaTigers 2,500+ Posts

Technology is the best way to go, all fields require it. But it has always been my assumption that it is better to create a job than look for one.

6. Larry T. Spider

Larry T. Spider 1,000+ Posts

Just googled most in-demand careers and technology dominated the lists.

7. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

I told my kids to get chemistry degrees and get into meth. This war on drugs seems to be a gravy train for the dealers. If that seems too hard perhaps they can become lobbyists or elected officials.

8. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet