El Azteca Review

Discussion in 'Around Austin' started by Ignatius, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Ignatius

Ignatius 1,000+ Posts

*******, that's ******* great Tex-Mex...

2. 1899horn

1899horn 500+ Posts

On east east 7th.

3. LITNIN HORN

LITNIN HORN 1,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

2600 East Seventh...for forty years.

[​IMG]

4. UTEE

UTEE 1,000+ Posts

Old-school Tex-Mex there, great place.

5. Aspen1

Aspen1 100+ Posts

Best in town. Salsa is incredible.

6. LITNIN HORN

LITNIN HORN 1,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

...also, I would say they have the best vegetarian selections of any Tex-Mex place in town.

[​IMG]

7. johnny chimpo

johnny chimpo 500+ Posts

Napolito Enchiladas![​IMG]

8. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

Good joint.

El Azteca.. I always thought in Spanish the feminine was proceeded with La, not El.

Spanish speakers.. help me out! My high school spanish is failing me.

9. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

In this case, Azteca which means Aztec (of course) refers to the Empire or a member of it. "The Aztec" would be default as masculine unless you were specifically talking about a female. In this case, you are not.

10. grinder

grinder 500+ Posts

Good lunch specials. And I like the finishing touch of either a cookie or sherbet.

11. judgroybeanbag

judgroybeanbag 500+ Posts

Cabrito tacos FTW!!!

12. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

All that, and a great shrine to the Virgen Mary, not to be missed!

13. SunBurntOrange

SunBurntOrange 500+ Posts

I took everybodies advice and gave this a try last friday. Three thumbs up (microwave accident as a kid, dont ask). Whoever said the salsa was great was dead on right. I had the enchiladas with chipotle sauce and the date had the chile relleno. Both were excellent.

Thanks for the tip guys :)

14. Starter

Starter 25+ Posts

Ate there yesterday and thought it was very good. I'm always looking for the best cheese enchiladas in town and these were some of the best I've had. Any other suggestions for cheese enchiladas??

15. LITNIN HORN

LITNIN HORN 1,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

El Patio
    Little Mexico
    Dario's
    Dart Bowl...yes, I said DART BOWL

[​IMG]

16. Murphy'sBoy

Murphy'sBoy 1,000+ Posts

Dart Bowl...yes, I said DART BOWL
    ------------------------------------------------
    I second that.

17. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Stop, stop right there at Dart Bowl. I was there with some friends a few weeks ago and they were saying they heard Dart had amazing enchiladas. So they were not pulling my leg?

If I recall, the price on them at Dart Bowl was pretty cheap too!

18. GakFoo

GakFoo 500+ Posts

19. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Interesting, thanks. I will for sure try 'em out. I figured they were setting me up for something like heartburn or worse.

20. ScoPro

ScoPro 1,000+ Posts

If you don't get heartburn, it ain't real TexMex.

21. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

I gave Dart a try today. Those were some tasty enchiladas and a decent amount of food. I prefer Azteca and a couple of other places but for sure if I am in the area I will go back. Thanks for the info.

22. Starter

Starter 25+ Posts

what other places loop? I need some new spots!!

23. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Well, I would suggest that if Texas Monthly came up with a list, ignore their list since they will get it wrong. Sorry, still confused by their hamburger shortcomings.

What are your usual places?

24. Starter

Starter 25+ Posts

Darios
    Maudies
    el patio
    enchiladas y mas

just moved back about a year ago and never spent much time on the east side or south of the river but I'm really interested in the best places for old school cheese enchiladas...everything else is bonus

25. NBMisha

NBMisha 500+ Posts

I second Maudies, for their choice among chili covered, cheezy, greasy options. I like "Enchiladas Perfecto". Habanero on Oltorf has a very good cheese enchilada, also.

26. Ignatius

Ignatius 1,000+ Posts

I'm heading to Juan in a Million for the first time tonight, will follow up with a report...

27. Big Jake

Big Jake 100+ Posts

Enchilada y Mas has a great Tex Mex cheese enchilada. [​IMG] [​IMG]

28. Not that Bob

Not that Bob 500+ Posts

35 years ago, George started in a store front that was, I think, an old Dairy Queen. 5th or 6th, almost to Montopolis...memory is foggy. I have tried, for the following 35 years, to find cheese enchiladas to match those. Alas, never duplicated. Bruce Sternberg came along and financed new, uptown locations for George. Bastard!

29. GakFoo

GakFoo 500+ Posts

30. scottsins

scottsins 1,000+ Posts

One of my favorite things to eat for breakfast = cheese enchiladas topped with 2 over medium eggs at Enchiladas y Mas.

Solved my constant dilemma of whether to order breakfast items or enchiladas.