Ever install an HVAC zone control panel?

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by Horns11, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Basically, mine seems to be giving out (zones not operating when they're supposed to, dampers shutting at weird timings, etc.). It's based on older technology... it has manual zone changeover (the O and B wires independently) instead of just built-in auto changeover like every control panel in the free world seems to come with today. My thermostat is 18 years old, but it is programmable and digital. I want to replace it with a nicer one that connects to wifi and has more energy saving options. The Nest one looks cool, but I've heard they crap out more often than not. Filtrete and Honeywell make some too.

I've noticed the Honeywell newer boards like the HZ311 and HZ432 and wanted to know if it's possible to just disconnect an older panel, connect all the wires to the new panel, and have it up and running? Or is there something else I would need to accomplish to make this happen? The HVAC guys all over the Internet are very secretive about questions like this, because they want your service, and if they told everyone how to do stuff like this they'd be out of jobs. I even posed as a "HVAC technician" to get on to one of the forums with questions like this, but they have to verify your credentials before going over install tips.

2. zork

zork 2,500+ Posts

This is what I do with questions such as yours as I DIY as much as I can. There might be a few tricks but it can't be that hard as long as you are careful with the breakers being off as you disconnect and connect. Identifying what you have now and how it is connected might help so you can get the new one connected.

link

My latest project was adding a SWG to my pool this summer. It wasn't too bad but I spent a few weeks researching before actually installing it.link

3. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Thanks for your help. Got it up and running in pretty basic "plug and play" fashion. I just worried too much about the functionality of the board before the install, but it seems to do everything appropriately at the right times. I did, however, have to install a different 2nd zone thermostat as well, because the "heat only" or "air only" variety that I had upstairs wasn't the "slave" to a "master zone" any longer, but that's easy for me.