Fall Camp 2022

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Godz40acres, Jul 26, 2022.

1. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Yeah, post-season winning football team. I thought that sounded like TH's squad.

2. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

[​IMG]

I was going to bring up our Hornfans concerns about the QB's today, but he never looked my way.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. rreading

rreading 100+ Posts

Question about our young line: so if they can learn blocking/protection and have the strength to get the job done, does their youth help their stamina or do we guess they’re more likely to be worn out during the game as they’re having to try harder to keep up?

I’m worried that it’s going to feel quite familiar to last year in which our first halves looked promising until we got worn out later in the game

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

It would be funny if the first home game this academic year of any sport was rained out.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

6. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

4 pleasant surprises in first half of fall camp

The good news is that some of the newfound depth for Sark and the Longhorns has started to come to the forefront in bits and pieces at this point of the offseason.

#1 : Jonathon Brooks, RB
    Brooks has shined so far in fall camp, even getting some of the second-team reps at running back with Roschon sidelined at the moment.

It looks like Brooks could wind up being the second or third running back in the pecking order for Sark, new running backs coach Tashard Choice, and the Longhorns this fall. Brooks proved last year that he is more than capable of being a very efficient back each time he touches the ball. In fact, he ranked second on the team last season in yards per carry, with 6.8.

#2 : Cole Hutson, IOL
    This talented and sizable in-state interior offensive lineman is clearly making an impression on Flood and the Longhorns staff over the course of the last few months.

What has really stood out about Hutson’s performance in fall camp is his ability to move bodies off the line of scrimmage in run blocking and his solidified fundamentals as an interior pass blocker.

#3 : Diamonte Tucker-Dorsey, LB
    It wouldn’t be jarring to me at all if Tucker-Dorsey winds up becoming a regular starter for Texas at sam linebacker this season. “Tuck” clearly looks like the better and more reliable option at the sam linebacker spot in fall camp compared to David Gbenda.

[H]is experience and ability to find the ball have continually stood out in practice and in the locker room. Tuck has continually proven that he is able to get his hand up in passing lanes and frequently force incompletions. He’s also an adept run stopper thanks to his football IQ...

#4 : Savion Red, WR
    This former SMU Mustangs commit has risen to the occasion at the exact time that Texas needed more players to step up in the wide receiver room.

Red has shown that he is more than capable of handling some of the snaps as the punt returner. I wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest if Red is one of the most commonly utilized punt returners for special teams.

Honorable mentions
    Ethan Burke, EDGE
    Casey Cain, WR
    Vernon Broughton, DL
    Jaylon Guilbeau, DB

[More at Hook'Em]

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2022
  7. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

The football team is killing tonight, up 5-0, and haven’t collapsed in the 2nd half.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Okay, now I see. I tuned in per your request and yep- soccer.

9. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

He owned Georgia so there's that.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

rr
    Good question and I think Sark sorta addressed it when he said there were enough good players to do rotations. He said it won't be "starters"with back ups. It will be "squads " rotating.
    At least that is how I heard it.

11. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

That’s futball.

12. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Winning futbol, which we haven’t seen in a while.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Why is it that, no matter where Sark is, he looks yellowish? [Click arrow to play]

I did not photoshop him. This is how he looks in all the PC's.

14. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

Starting to look a little South American....

Probably a lot of salsa mixed with summer sun exposure

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Too much Bijan’s mustard being used on the sandwiches.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

If you’re looking for a positive spin on the team, here you go:

He discusses the QBs at the10:30 mark.

• Like Like x 1
  17. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  18. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

19. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Steve Sarkisian names Quinn Ewers
    starting quarterback for the Texas Longhorns

(Glad Sark didn't name him as the starter for another team)

On3 Scouting Report:Touted as one of the best underclassman quarterback prospects in a few cycles early on his high school career. Skipped his senior season in order to graduate and enroll at Ohio State. Has elite accuracy with the ability to consistently place the football in small windows. Plays with advanced timing, often throwing the ball before receivers show themselves to be open. Sees the field naturally. Willing to stand in the pocket in the face of pressure and deliver downfield. Throws with a three-quarters to sidearm release. Has a strong arm with considerable zip on intermediate passes. Showed above average mobility as a sophomore before being hampered with a hernia as a junior. Played very well against top competition in the state of Texas as a sophomore and junior. Older for his initial cycle (2022) and may have been closer to his physical ceiling than others at that early stage. Missed out on crucial game experience by forgoing his senior season, which could affect his long-term development.

[More at IT]

20. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Sark needed to name a starter so he would get the snaps with the first team...familiarity.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Broughton done brought it.

He came to the 40 with high accolades and has shown flashes of greatness here and there. Good to hear he’s reaching his potential.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Quinn Ewers QB1

The core principles of Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian‘s offensive philosophy are well-established at this point in his career. He likes to hand the ball off to a bell-cow back as part of a physical running game, and he likes to use that running game to set up play-action passes where a strong-armed quarterback can hit fast wide receivers downfield for explosive gains.

There are additional intricacies like run-pass options, pre-snap motion, option routes, and tight end play that make Sarkisian’s offense an appealing for players and programs.

His basic offensive principles remain ‘run them over’ and ‘throw it over their heads.’

That’s where you’ll find the reasoning for Sarkisian’s announcement of Quinn Ewers as the Longhorns’ starting quarterback. Sarkisian’s choice of Ewers was made Thursday because Ewers allows for his offense to reach its highest ceiling.

Is Ewers perfect? Despite his high rating as a recruit, no. Is what he brings to the table as a college quarterback fully known? Not quite yet, considering his only in-game experience is a handful of garbage time snaps for Ohio State.

What he does bring is arm talent that others on the roster simply do not possess.

In this competition, arms are what mattered, and Ewers’ arm ability in concert with his own growing acumen are what contributed to Sarkisian’s decision.

With a redshirt freshman, it won’t be perfect. Sarkisian knows that, and plans to accommodate his offense for Ewers.

“If there are some intricacies that maybe aren’t as fluid for him right now, that’s our job not to put him in that position to do those things yet until we keep repping it with him to get him feeling really good about it,” Sarkisian said.

[More at IT]

• Like Like x 1
  23. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

[​IMG]

Someone may need to have an intervention with Sark.

• Funny Funny x 2
  24. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

I tend to think it as simple as this.
    If Card and Ewers were running neck and neck, then you would have to assume Card has reached his ceiling while Ewers has room to grow.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

And, as yet, untarnished mystique. Never lost a college game or thrown an interception.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  26. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Babers' take on the radio made sense to me. If the QBs were running neck and neck, then the head coach needs to take the pulse of the locker room and go with the QB the other players most gravitate towards.

In short, Ewers won the job by winning the locker room.

• Like Like x 3
  27. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

And after last season, this is no small matter

• Agree Agree x 2
  28. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

How is Texas' tackling

[​IMG]

PFF College’s metrics say the Longhorns missed 15 percent of their tackle opportunities during the 5-7 2021 campaign.

After a handful of full-contact practices and with a scrimmage coming on Saturday, how does Sarkisian think his team is tackling during the 2022 preseason?

“I think we’ve tackled well, better than we did a year ago,” Sarkisian said Thursday. “I would say that, one, we’re tackling better, two, our pursuit and our effort to the ball is better defensively so that when a missed tackle may occur — which it is football, they do happen especially when you’ve got good players on offense — that the next guys are there to get that player on the ground.”

It’s not feasible to live tackle every day, or else injuries stack up. Texas works around this in a unique way. When it’s a fully-padded day, there are some drills where Texas players do every part of full-contact tackling except bringing the player to the ground. There are other periods when they do tackle to the ground, and scrimmages are full-contact to the ground for everyone but quarterbacks.

While that may keep players healthier over the course of camp, it does have some slight drawbacks like tackling being a little more hit-or-miss in the early portions of the season. That’s why pursuit to the football has been a major emphasis during this training camp for the Longhorns.

In addition to helping bring ball-carriers down, pursuit may also help turn the ball over. Texas was tied for 93rd in turnover margin last year, forcing only 14 turnovers in 12 games.

After one scrimmage where Sarkisian said the defense recorded three interceptions and forced four fumbles across 100-plus plays, one thing he’s noted from the improved pursuit is his defense creating more changes in possession.

[More at IT]

• Like Like x 1
  29. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

I realize today's scrimmage was closed to visitors and the media, but doesn't anyone have some fake reports we can read??

• Funny Funny x 1
  30. 1sahorn

1sahorn 1,000+ Posts

Weeeee'reeee DOOOOOOOOMed!!!!

• Funny Funny x 1