Family Law Question

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by LagoHorn, Apr 28, 2005.

1. LagoHorn

LagoHorn 250+ Posts

Any Family Lawyers out there?

My Nephew is in the middle of a nasty divorce. They are both 22 and there is a 3 year old child involved.

A little over 3 weeks ago a court date (the 3rd makeup date) was set in Houston to decide custody. Long story, shortened - After 7 hours of waiting the Judge says there are too many witnesses to hear the case that day (it was also opening day and the Judge had astros tickets and wanted to bail out) and wanted the lawyers to work out a temporary custody agreement.

An agreement was reached for 50/50 custody with a 3 day cycle (signed by both parties and the Judge). At the end of my Nephew's first cycle, the mother took the child and hasn't been seen or heard from.

The Judge has refused any action against the mother.

My question would be, is this normal? What was the point of the temporary custody agreement if it could be violated within a week with nothing done about it. It just seems like a total breakdown of the 'system' or lack thereof...

2. HtownAg92

HtownAg92 25+ Posts

Your nephew's lawyer should move for contempt. If the temporary orders were signed by the judge, then they are enforceable by contempt. The wife will or should go to jail.

3. Agent007

Agent007 250+ Posts

Sorry to be the one to say this - but thats a messed up situation....