Fans are part of Longhorn Sports History

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Billy Dale, Mar 5, 2022.

1. Billy Dale

Billy Dale The History of Longhorn Sports through 2014

tips_kern_ad.jpg Kern Tips (who died in 1967 at age 62) was the “Voice of the Southwest Conference” football for about 30 years. Some consider Tips the greatest Texas football announcer; others consider Tips the greatest sports announcer anywhere, ever.
    “Malfunction at the junction” was how he described a fumbled handoff between a quarterback and a running back.
    In Kern Tips Book “Football Texas Style,” he states that each of us has “keepsakes pressed between the pages of a memory book’.

Memories not shared are lost forever. So please share your keepsakes pressed between the pages of your memory book to Hornfans and I will capture and add to the Texas Legacy Support Network website to save for posterity.

HERE ARE THREE FAN EXAMPLES THAT ARE IMPORTANT PARTS OF LONGHORN SPORTS HISTORY AS TOLD BY :

CHRIS BARBEE 2/22/2021

I covered the women’s basketball team for The Daily Texan during the 73-74 school year (coach was Rodney Page). The girls had to fight with intramural teams for practice time at Gregory Gym, they pooled their money for gasoline to fuel team members’ cars. Where possible they spent the night at team members’ homes and they borrowed their uniforms from the volleyball team. I loved and respected those young ladies and Coach Page.

Randy Griffin About Rooster Andrews 02/28/2022

Billy Dale I grew up with Griff Roosters son. A good friend of mine. My dad came back from WW2 and played tennis for Texas. His sweet-mates were Tom Landry and Bobby Lane. My Dad ran the Paramount Theater during the late 60’s he allowed Texas football players in free with a student id. I worked the door for him and allowed many a player and their date in free including Freddy Steinmark
    Here is a link to other comments. I am Billydale1@Gmail.com

John Dean- about Ben Crenshaw 2/22/2021

I was good friends with the AD of the University of Houston, Harry Fouke. He ran the Athletic Department with a support staff of one. When he retired, they replaced him with a small army of staff.

Way back in the day, I was playing a junior golf tournament in Gonzalez, Texas. When I got there, a buzz was floating around -- "He's here!...He's here!". The "he" in question was Ben Crenshaw, who already had a reputation. He was playing a couple of groups ahead, so I had a measuring score to go by. At the turn, I was one shot behind and playing damn good. On the fourteenth hole, a par five, I was teeing up and feeling stout. About thirty yards in front of the tee box on the right, someone planted a sapling, and it was a sad little spare thing. It was so small; I decided to ignore it and hit away. Not only did I hit it, but I also hit it square, and the ball ricocheted directly backward, across the tee box and another fifty yards behind. I was hitting two from way behind the tee. I three-putted for a ten and ended up shooting 83 for the round—eleven shots behind the winner, Ben.

As I said, I played golf. Golf won.

https://texas-lsn.squarespace.com/fan-photos

Kern Tipps 2 .jpg Kern Tips.jpg

• Winner Winner x 4
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2022
  2. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Doesn't get any better!

3. 1sahorn

1sahorn 1,000+ Posts

Q: Is this the same Chris Barbee that lived in Seminole circa 1965?