First Lesbian Astronaut Dies

Discussion in 'Cactus Cafe' started by Perham1, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Perham1

Perham1 2,500+ Posts

Sally Ride died from pancreatic cancer.

2. RomaVicta

RomaVicta 5,000+ Posts

She revealed that she was gay in a statement prepared before her death. Here is the Reuters story.

Pity she couldn't be open about while she lived.

Rest in peace Astronaut Ride.

3. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

Haters gonna display hate, I suppose. Sad.

4. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

5. El Torito

El Torito 1,000+ Posts

First of all, RIP to an American hero.

Second, she was, from what I've read, very private woman. Her sister said this:

6. Larry T. Spider

Larry T. Spider 1,000+ Posts

The one thing that she did seem to be outspoken about was science and math education. She was obviously a private person, but I would guess that she didn't want to be in the news for anything other than supporting education. Its sad to me that ones sexual orientation would be more important to the media and masses than their extraordinary life's work.

sally ride science

7. RomaVicta

RomaVicta 5,000+ Posts

The sad part is that had her sexual orientation been public knowledge, she likely would have been blocked from doing the remarkable things she did.

That's the pity, and the pity is not for her.

8. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

9. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

The pity is that people think because your gay you should be open about it. There are many people that are gay and prefer to keep it to themselves, their business is their business.

Not every gay person in the world wants to wave a rainbow flag, they just want to be who they are and left alone.

It is a shame that some people think everyone should be spokesperson for every little thing in the world.

You don't think the government knew she was gay when she was in the Astronaut program? Do you even have a clue how in depth the background check is to just apply to NASA? You don't think they knew that all along, man some of you are haters of fictional haters.

10. Michtex

Michtex 1,000+ Posts

11. PropositionJoe

PropositionJoe 2,500+ Posts

strikes me as kind of odd that the thread title is first lesbian and not first woman astronaut.

12. RomaVicta

RomaVicta 5,000+ Posts

13. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

Why would it even be mentioned when someone dies, especially in the headline of a thread? This was a famous, accomplished person. Who cares about her sexual orientation?

14. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

The haters do. Haters hate.

15. RomaVicta

RomaVicta 5,000+ Posts

I think your point is generally valid. This case is newsworthy because Ms. Ride left a statement about it.

My first reaction to the title of the thread was similar to yours. I'd never known (or considered) Ride's sexual orientation, and I still don't consider it a very important part of her history.

I googled to find the article I linked and learned she had left the statement to be publicized after her death. I think the public announcement invites consideration.

In my mind, she's still the first American woman in space. Her statement about her sexuality gives pause to consider why some people may have to conceal their sexual preference. It's unfortunate for some and traumatizing for others, and a matter of indifference for still others.

edit: Responding to accuratehorn

16. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

"Mustang Sally" was originally going to be called "Mustang Mama", but Aretha Franklin suggested Sally and the rest, as they say, is history.

I only mention this because of the chorus "Ride Sally Ride".

RIP

17. Perham1

Perham1 2,500+ Posts

18. Perham1

Perham1 2,500+ Posts

I 'm in lesbians with Sally Ride....

19. the Saint

the Saint 500+ Posts

20. NEWDOC2002

NEWDOC2002 1,000+ Posts

21. YouTeeAye

YouTeeAye 100+ Posts

Major gives some solid advice. By the same token, I wish Josh Hamilton or Tebow would keep their hard-on for jesus private and not spew their gayass affair with skydaddy at every opportunity.

22. NEWDOC2002

NEWDOC2002 1,000+ Posts