Flagrant Foul?

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by VinceFord, Apr 29, 2009.

1. VinceFord

VinceFord 100+ Posts

2. Roger

Roger 1,000+ Posts

I saw this last night during half-time of the Mavs&Spurs and Barkley was saying that it should of been flagrant and Kenny disagreed. Last night I agreed with Kenny, however after watching it more I don't think he had a chance in hell of getting the ball thus I'm moving towards Barkley on this one. However all that said it is the playoffs and everything is harder in the playoffs including the fouls

3. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I didn't see the game, but I don't see anything flagrant in there.

4. MAROON

MAROON 250+ Posts

you don't see #9 for the Celtics grabbing the Bulls player by the neck?

5. hobbs4heisman

hobbs4heisman 100+ Posts

I was watching and it looked pretty flagrant to me. However miller blew it as he couldn't make a free throw and then missed the rim on the second one which is a violation.

6. Texas Wahoo

Texas Wahoo 1,000+ Posts

It's definitely flagrant. Rondo is just trying to pull him back by the neck so he can't make the shot.

Question - with Miller bleeding and cut inside his mouth, could the Bulls have gotten someone else to make the free-throws? Why didn't they do that? He was clearly messed up.

7. VinceFord

VinceFord 100+ Posts

I think it was flagrant. You can't tell from that angle how wide open a lane Miller had to the whole. I think it comes down to Rondo not having a play on the ball. The only thing he could hit was his face, and it worked. I think the refs blew it.

8. fall01nk

fall01nk 250+ Posts

Flagrant. Wasn't even close to the ball.

After the whistle blew, Rondo immediately started to claim he hit Miller on the arm. That tells me he knew exactly what he did and was worried about getting a flagrant.

9. fall01nk

fall01nk 250+ Posts

10. updog07

updog07 500+ Posts

It was definately flagrant. If you watched it live Miller had a WIDE open drive to the lane. He goes in for the easy lay up and Rondo grabs him by the mouth and throws him down.

From that .gif you cant really see Rondo.. but you can see his hand. Afterwards Miller was gushing blood from the mouth. But because this was a play that would effect the outcome of the game more than likely, the refs choked on the call. It was obviously flagrant.. if not falgrant then def. intentional.

The reason they dont call it = Playing in Boston, and Boston wouldve lost if the call is made.

11. 4realhorn

4realhorn 500+ Posts

I remember a play in the waning minutes of a game (I believe game 3 or game 4) in the 06 Finals where Jerry Stackhouse was called for a flagrant foul on something a lot less malicious than Rondo's. It's just the NBA as always. Always playing to the favorites or more star studded teams.

12. HatDaddy

HatDaddy 1,000+ Posts

flagrant. easy call. NBA might change it, but that is doubtful.

13. Booyakasha!

Booyakasha! Guest

FLAGRANT! Some of these guys have no respect, especially for a player like Miller. Just slap a guy in the face/neck like that, c'mon. I wish Miller or someone like him would take a stand and knock the **** out of Pierce or any other punk who does **** like this.

14. GHoward

GHoward 2,500+ Posts

I didn't think it's flagrant. Rondo was going for the arm, but got the neck instead. It wasn't excessive. I'd call it a hard foul.

15. fall01nk

fall01nk 250+ Posts

The worst part is that he had the nerve to say after that he DID go through his arm first and then might have hit his head.

Hope he gets his.

If I try to reach the ball, knowing I have no chance, that doesnt mean I can just club someone in the face.

16. 4realhorn

4realhorn 500+ Posts

Stack's foul was against Shaq and he actually made a play for the ball. Rondo goes straight to Miller's face without hesitation. He literally pulled on Miller's face and kneck region. Kenny Smith said it best on Collin Cowherd's show today. If you hit someone head in the act of committing a foul there has always been an automatic flagrant just like throwing a punch gets you kicked out of the game. Regardless of intent, if you commit either of the above two violations there is an automatic consequence.

17. GoHornsGo90

GoHornsGo90 1,000+ Posts

Easy call. Nowhere close to a flagrant foul. Zero malicious intent--not even remotely close. There's a difference between missing the ball and raking a person's face and the ball not being anywhere near the person's face and it getting raked. Can't blame Miller at all for missing the free throws, he was clearly rattled by the play and wasn't even lucid enough to throw the ball off the rim on the second shot. Anybody who saw the actual game could tell it wasn't flagrant...

18. fall01nk

fall01nk 250+ Posts

Clearly you haven't read the rest of this thread.

The ball was NOWHERE NEAR Rondo's hand....didn't even get within 3 feet of it. It seems like you are the one that didn't watch the game.

19. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

It was definitely intentional so if they aren't going to call the intentional foul, they need to call the flagrant. Rondo was nowhere near the ball and knew the only way to stop Miller was to follow through and hit whatever he could. I personally wouldn't stand for it if I was Miller. I'd be ticked about losing a tooth because someone was a poor sport. Next opportunity I would retaliate. Supposedly, this is what the NBA wants to prevent. Of course the NBA doesn't want a lot of ticked off home fans either. What is funny is that a flagrant would have probably been called if Miller got into Rondo's grill after the play. The refs would have seen the blood and the call would have been made.

20. GoHornsGo90

GoHornsGo90 1,000+ Posts

Actually, I did...and I saw the play live, which I stated in my post if you had read more closely. I don't think whether I read the rest of the thread impacts how the play turned out [​IMG]

21. fall01nk

fall01nk 250+ Posts

22. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

23. fall01nk

fall01nk 250+ Posts

It looks to me like Pierce's elbow only hits Miller's arm.

I don't think he "grabbed" him, but I think the force of the hit twisted Miller around enough to create the same type of effect.

Video

24. Goothrey

Goothrey 100+ Posts

That's flagrant. You don't curl your fingers and bend your wrist going in for a block.

The initial contact looks an awful lot like this:The Link

25. GHoward

GHoward 2,500+ Posts

I don't understand the term "intentional" foul. Players intentionally foul all the time. Late it games to get the ball back, "hackashaq".
    It was a foul in the act of shooting, and Miller got 2 free throws. IT doesn't matter if Rondo has a chance at the ball or not. It's the playoffs and you don't let a guy get a easy road to the basket. People foul all the time when they have no play at the ball. How many times does Shaq just get bear hugged when gets the ball right under the basket? You can't call a flagrant everytime someone gets hit in the face.

And the NBA seems to agree, they didn't suspend rondo, or even upgrade the foul to a flagrant 1.

26. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

So you are good with punching someone in the face to prevent a layup as long as it is a playoff game? That is exactly what happened.

27. UTAustin92

UTAustin92 250+ Posts

Definitely flagrant. Rondo should be seving a 1 game suspension. That was an assault on the basketball court.

28. GoHornsGo90

GoHornsGo90 1,000+ Posts

Nobody got punched...give me a break.

29. ballrific

ballrific 500+ Posts

that was definitely a flagrant if they called what wade did last night a flagrant (block on mo evans). consistency with officials in the nba, that's a thought.

yeah, if miller has any kind of a sack, he plants rondo in the front row first chance he gets. that was lame but miller still needs to finish.

30. Texas Wahoo

Texas Wahoo 1,000+ Posts