Football (Worldwide Soccer) Manager 2008

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Longhorn Tim, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Longhorn Tim

Longhorn Tim 250+ Posts

They only thing that could possibly get FM 2007 out of my DVD tray has occurred - the release of FM08! I seem to remember a few people on here who play the series, so I thought I'd give a brief heads-up and review.

There's certainly nothing revolutionary this year (wouldn't want them to make drastic changes), but they've fixed virtually everything that ever annoyed me about last year's title. They've done a very nice job of listening to their fans.

Oh and BTW, the game has rated Liverpool's new young players VERY kindly (Leto, Lucas, Babel). [​IMG]

2. IcyHotStunta

IcyHotStunta 100+ Posts

I installed the game at my work cpu and it rules.

I've "owned" the last 10+ editions of this series dating back to CM 97/98. Not much really ever changes, but I'm hooked enough to "buy" it every year.

My problem is finding a tactic that "works". For better or worse, there are usually tactics you can download that will help you go basically undefeated through a season.

3. Longhorn Tim

Longhorn Tim 250+ Posts

Can't understand why someone would want to do that. The fact that it's difficult to win all the time (being a realistic simulation) is what makes the game so addictive. What's the fun of exploiting a game flaw?

I'm now 10 matches into the season with Liverpool. 8 wins, 1 draw, 1 loss (all competitions). Babel up front with Torres is deadly (listen up Rafa!)

4. Sii

Sii 1,000+ Posts

where can you buy this and how much is it?

5. Longhorn Tim

Longhorn Tim 250+ Posts

I got my off amazon for $29.99:
    The Link

6. IcyHotStunta

IcyHotStunta 100+ Posts

Torrent is the way to go...

7. Longhorn Tim

Longhorn Tim 250+ Posts

Sorry dude, not to come off as all judgmental, but I feel I'm old enough to pay people for their work (be it music or SW).

8. Larry T. Spider

Larry T. Spider 1,000+ Posts

Im thinking about getting this game but I have a few questions first.

I assume that I can run this on an average computer because its just a simulation game.

How many teams are on the game? Does is go all the way down to league 2? What about south american teams?

Other than setting the line-up and transfering players, what does the player control?

I would be buying the game for enjoyment but also to learn more about the beautiful game. I have heard that this is a good route to go. Anybody disagree?

I know that amazon has the game. Is there a store in the north austin area that would have it?

Thanks in advance.

9. Longhorn Tim

Longhorn Tim 250+ Posts

Im thinking about getting this game but I have a few questions first.

I assume that I can run this on an average computer because its just a simulation game.

ANSWER: absolutely. I run it on my 2 year old laptop. For this game, memory is way more important than your video setup since this game carries a very large database. However, even if you don't have a lot of memory, you can have the game scale back database size (number of players)

How many teams are on the game? Does is go all the way down to league 2? What about south american teams?

ANSWER: as far as I can tell, EVERY team is in the game.

Other than setting the line-up and transfering players, what does the player control?

ANSWER: everything. Tactics (pre match and during match), subs, player interactions, contracts, transfers, training, coaching staff assignments, scouting, etc, etc, etc.

I would be buying the game for enjoyment but also to learn more about the beautiful game. I have heard that this is a good route to go. Anybody disagree?

ANSWER: absolutely agree.

I know that amazon has the game. Is there a store in the north austin area that would have it?

ANSWER: I've never checked.

10. IcyHotStunta

IcyHotStunta 100+ Posts

This game gave me a crash course into knowing how Champions League works, players names, team names, etc. when I first became a soccer fan when it was known as Championship Manager 98/99.

Beware that this game is addictive, especially when you buy new players and want to see the results.

I installed this game into my work computer a few weeks ago and now leave work about 15-30 mins later than I used to...

11. Larry T. Spider

ordered the game - it will be here wednesday

Thanks for the help, Im sure that ill be hitting yall up with more questions.

12. Longhorn Tim

Longhorn Tim 250+ Posts

13. HornzUp

HornzUp < 25 Posts

i started playing this game after i read this post the other day and wow it is amazing... i seriously can not put it down. My team in K-League has been tearing it up but has run into some injury trouble recently.

14. Larry T. Spider

installing the game - it came a day early

so happy right now

15. RyanUTAustin

RyanUTAustin 1,000+ Posts

How does this game work?

You don't actually get to play? Just do everything in the front office?

16. MikeUT00

MikeUT00 Guest

so how is it?

17. IcyHotStunta

IcyHotStunta 100+ Posts

You manage in-game. Things such as tactics and substitutions. There is a diagram that you can watch, as well as reading text to follow the game.

But most of the fun is buying and selling players.

18. IcyHotStunta

IcyHotStunta 100+ Posts

19. Larry T. Spider

Im addicted but I dont know **** about tactics. Whats a good way to learn? Opponents instructions are what Im the most lost on. I usually play a 4-4-2 attacking style.

20. IcyHotStunta

IcyHotStunta 100+ Posts

IMO, the opponents instruction can't be too vital, because they never had that feature until this year...

The best thing to do is try out tactics in friendlies before the season or if you make a friendly in the middle of a 7+ day break.

I'd try first by using your 4-4-2, then change up things like tempo or passing style. I hate using counter attack as a setting because it usually means your opponent will get a shitload of possession and shots on goal against you, while you rely on hitting them quick on a counter.

The individual instructions such as holding the ball up or running with the ball, etc. are very important as well.

21. Larry T. Spider

Agree with you about counter attack. Thanks for the help.

22. Longhorn Tim

Longhorn Tim 250+ Posts

The Opposition Instructions come in handy if the other side has a standout talent. For instance, if you're playing Arsenal, you're going to want to tightly mark Cesc to deny him the ball, and then close down and tackle him hard if he does get it. You can also use individual instructions to assign a DM to man-mark in this example.

Now that I've had it a month, I've noted a few trends:

1. The injuries have been toned down a bit (more severity than prevalence). Last year you had to keep a huge squad and I was always leary of loading up on a Kaka type player because they would just get hurt.

2. Nando Torres scored goals for fun - it's ridiculous. In my first 2 Liverpool seasons, he's netted 72 goals (all competitions).

3. Way too many goals get disallowed - especially off set pieces. I'd say at least 50% of goals scored off CKs get called back. I don't even get excited.

4. The player rating are down across the board. World Class players are now lucky to get a 7.2 average for the year. In last year's game, you'd see people like Gerrard with 7.7 averages.

5. Penalty Kicks are totally unrealistic. Probably a 50/50 shot now (even with an 18 rated PK taker).

6. Scouting enthusiasm is toned way down. Last year I had a shortlist full of 5 (Definite) and 6 star (At any costs) recommendations. Through 2+ seasons, I've yet to see a 5 star.

23. IcyHotStunta

IcyHotStunta 100+ Posts

24. Longhorn Tim

Longhorn Tim 250+ Posts

Thanks for the tip. I'll get on it.

25. Larry T. Spider

26. C-Man

C-Man 250+ Posts

I just gave up trying to install FM2007 on my laptop and ordered 2008. I downloaded it last night but haven't kicked the tires yet. I assume I've got a version with the latest patch, right?

27. IcyHotStunta

IcyHotStunta 100+ Posts

28. Larry T. Spider

Thanks for the patch link.

My club currently has $0 invested. Is this something that I can control? If so how? I am the suck at this game.

29. Longhorn Tim

Longhorn Tim 250+ Posts

30. Larry T. Spider

When I go to one of my in-depth finances screens that tell me where all of my money is it saying that I have $0 invested. I was wondering it you can get interest on your money while it sits around or something. Not sure why it would be on there otherwise.