Foreign Policy Discussion: Russia

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Musburger1, May 23, 2016.

1. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

It's purpose is to defend its members.

Its expansion or contraction should be carried out on a case by case basis. Generally arrangements like NATO work when the nations involved are generally democratic and when the people in those nations have mostly common values. For example, though I think Romania and Poland are good fits for NATO, I don't think Turkey is. In fact in a way, Russia would be a better fit in NATO than Turkey.

It's a factor, but you don't let that dictate the decision. If you do, then you aren't sovereign. You're a de facto puppet of Russia.

That depends. If you accept the premise that Putin is the epitome of morality and virtue and that his concern is truly nothing more than self-defense and that no other nation will ever be missile threat, then it's obviously safer not to have an ABM system. It takes a lot of naivete to buy all that, and most European nations aren't that naïve.

2. Musburger1

Musburger1 2,500+ Posts

Speaking of Turkey, that country is rapidly transforming into a dictatorship. There is no longer freedom of the press inside Turkey. But Turkey is strategically located as a bridge between Europe and the Middle East. Saudi Arabia and Turkey are two of the biggest purchasers of US armaments. Saudi Arabia is a monarchy and one of the harshest regimes in the world in terms of human rights. Turkey is quickly following that downward slope. And ironically, both countries continue to pour funds and manpower in terms of radical jihadis into Syria, demanding that Syria become more democratic. And we are in cahoots with both of them. That's insanity.

3. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

You won't get an argument from me on this. Turkey is a mess, and like other Islamic nations, democracy is getting weaker while radicalization is getting stronger.

You may already know this, but the US has evacuated a massive number of Americans from Turkey in the last few months. They cite ISIS as the reason, and to be fair, Incrlik Air Base is close to Syria. However, I don't think this would be occurring if we trusted the Turkish government.

It would not surprise me if Turkey is out of NATO five years from now.

4. Musburger1

Musburger1 2,500+ Posts

5. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

US Navy seems to be chasing a Russian submarine that "went off course " -- mouth of the Chesapeake Bay.

6. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Neglected to include soccer hooligans

7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

8. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Revised and updated --
    -- Writing bad code/hacking
    -- Propaganda
    -- Invading neighbors
    -- mail order brides
    -- cheating athletes
    -- soccer hooligans
    -- Vodka
    -- Chess

9. texas_ex2000

texas_ex2000 2,500+ Posts

I think Tolstoy, Dostoyevsky, Chekov, Tchaikovsky, and Rachmaninoff are worth checking out. I also recommend a visit to the Bolshoi, the Hermitage, and Winter Palace. Take a Ural motorcyle with your girl in the sidecar to get there. She'll think it's great.

The 1812 Overture is a staple of 4th of July concerts...we can think Mr. Tchaikovsky for that.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  10. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Does anyone actually like Russian writers or do they just pretend to in order to impress people? I am not sure the Russians even liked them --

Dostoevsky: sentenced to death, exiled to a Siberia
    Pushkin: died in a duel
    Lermontov: died in a duel
    Griboyedov: torn to pieces
    Solzhenitsyn: Gulag

In any event, Russian literature ended with Dostoevskii and Tolstoy (with perhaps the exception of Pushkin).

11. texas_ex2000

I don't know if I count as "anyone." I'm not a Russian lit expert, but I've read Brothers K, Anna K, and several Chekhov short stories and loved them (Anna K especially). Then again, I was a liberal arts major and volunteer as a docent at an art museum...so that probably make me a snob.

12. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

No worries here.
    (i had to read them too; had to keep a cheatsheet book tag with all the names; soooo many names to keep track of)
    And since you did not object, you must agree with the rest of the list?
    Credit for caviar or not?

13. texas_ex2000

definite credit for caviar.

This is what's weird about Russo/American relations/conflict. There's not a lot of reasons culturally why we shouldn't be on better terms. I think the Space Station is an example of how we work well together.

The two main reasons I can think of are the Communist revolution (now hopefully in our rear view mirror), and alliances with our allies. I guess you can also say there's a completely nothing at all personal reality of "the World is only big enough for one us."

Why in the hell are we allies with Saudi Arabia? Why are we in bed with the Chinese economically? Sure the Russians (in general and Putin specifically) can be pretty unsavorable in some things...but they're not as bad as the Saudis and Chinese.

14. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Snowden is a Russian agent
    Not a whistleblower

[​IMG]

16. Musburger1

Musburger1 2,500+ Posts

Below are three important articles everyone should read (but probably won't). As far as I know, none of these articles were put out by the Kremlin.

The first article discusses evolution at the State Department in light of 51 "diplomats" recent request that the US up the ante in Syria by bombing Assad forces.
    https://consortiumnews.com/2016/06/17/the-state-departments-collective-madness/

The next piece is an op-ed by Chris Martenson highlighting the escalation between the US/NATO and Russia.
    http://www.peakprosperity.com/blog/99008/tensions-between-usnato-russia-flaring-dangerously

And the third article shows that not all of Germany is united with the aggressive NATO buildup in Eastern Europe.
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/germany-slams-nato-warmongering-russia-115515814.html?ref=gs

17. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

International Olympic Committee declares that it support on ban of all Russian track and field athletes from Rio 2016

At least they dont have to agonize over the Zika

18. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

"State-run" cheating

19. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

20. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Moscow building new Spy Site in Nicaragua

http://freebeacon.com/national-security/moscow-building-spy-site-nicaragua/

"The Russian government is building an electronic intelligence-gathering facility in Nicaragua as part of Moscow’s efforts to increase military and intelligence activities in the Western Hemisphere.

The signals intelligence site is part of a recent deal between Moscow and Managua involving the sale of 50 T-72 Russian tanks, said defense officials familiar with reports of the arrangement.

The tank deal and spy base has raised concerns among some officials in the Pentagon and nations in the region about a military buildup under leftist Nicaraguan leader Daniel Ortega.

Disclosure of the Russia-Nicaraguan spy base comes as three U.S. officials were expelled from Nicaragua last week. The three Department of Homeland Security officials were picked up by Nicaraguan authorities, driven to the airport, and sent to the United States without any belongings......"

21. Musburger1

Musburger1 2,500+ Posts

Perhaps the Russians will begin sending troops, conduct war games, and deploy missiles in Nicaragua and Cuba - in order to make the region more secure. I can't imagine why the US would object to anything like that.

22. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  23. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  24. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

25. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Would love to know how much it cost to get in whom they got in

[​IMG]

26. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

"Russian Diplomat Pulls Robber Into Car And Shoots Him At The Rio Olympics"
    http://www.dailywire.com/news/8121/...hoots-him-chase-stephens#.V6SZwqm1hmg.twitter

"Besides the Zika mosquitos, poisoned swimming waters, and constant threats of violence, Rio sure seems like the perfect place to host some good-timin' summer Olympic fun.

On Thursday, near Rio's Olympic Park, a Russian diplomat used his jiu-jitsu training to tackle and kill a would-be robber who attacked him and his family in their car, according to Brazilian state run news agency Agencia Brasil.

The 60-year-old Russian vice-consul, Marcos Cesar Feres Braga, was stuck in traffic, just after the Olympic torch relay had passed on the Avenida das Americas in Barra da Tijuca. Braga was with his wife and daughter in his BMW M6 when a robber pulled up along side them on his motorcycle.

The criminal smashed the car window and pointed a gun at the lawyer, demanding he hand over his watch. That's when Braga, a student of jiu-jitsu, grabbed the attacker and pulled him into the vehicle, took the bad-guy's own gun and killed him with it at point blank range........."

27. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

How do you follow that post?

• Like Like x 1
  28. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Someone told me that this "diplomat" is likely a spy.

29. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

30. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts