fun little trip

Discussion in 'On The Road Again' started by orangecat1, Oct 24, 2012.

1. orangecat1

orangecat1 500+ Posts

The megabus thread caught my attention, and I need to take defensive driving.

Here is one thing I'm considering:

Get on Amtrak from Dallas and go to Fort Worth, take defensive driving there, and grab the TRE to get back to Dallas. Parking would be nearly 0, and the Amtrak fare is $7.50. TRE would also cost about $5 or $6. Slightly more than driving, but not a whole lot, and get to do a bit of sightseeing.

2. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Museums in FW are great too. That would be great sightseeing for me. Great idea.

3. skipperj

skipperj 100+ Posts

This sounds like a horrible trip. Amtrak from Dallas to FW? What kind of sightseeing would this enable? Hurst?

4. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Literally an hour or so ago I was looking into this. I would Mega Bus up to Dallas and hit the train station for the commuter rail to Ft. Worth. There you can catch the 2 bus to some homes for rent at about 60 bucks a night. All 1 mile from the museums. Kimball, Amon Carter, Modern, etc.

It's walkable or you can catch the 2 bus (there are 3 or 4 places to stay on the 2 bus route) to the museums, front door just about. Take 2 bus back to commuter rail station, back to Union Station in Dallas and a one block walk, maybe two for Mega Bus back to Austin.

All things considered, not including lodging which is an actual house, I can get up and back for about 21 bucks. The places to stay are near a Gingerman, a few bars and restaurants, walking distance/short drive.

Cannot get gas in the car for that price.