Gators, Horns still big with recruits

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by TexasGolf, Dec 3, 2010.

1. TexasGolf

TexasGolf 2,500+ Posts

The Link

Love their attitudes......

"This is my dream. I grew up always wanting to play for UT," said Desmond Jackson, a four-star commitment from Houston (Texas) Westfield. "I remember getting my first letter from Texas when I was a sophomore and I started running around my house and screaming. When they offered me I was so excited and thrilled that I don't even know how to explain it. Like I said, this is my dream."

History shows the Longhorns and Gators will be players on the recruiting trail. Over the past five years, Texas has finished ranked second, third, 10th, third and third, while Florida has finished ranked first, fifth, fourth, second and first. Right now, the Longhorns are No. 1, while the Gators are No. 4.

Quandre Diggs (Angleton, Texas/Angelton) is the nation's top cornerback and he's headed to play for Texas despite the Longhorns' subpar season.

"It doesn't affect me at all," Diggs said. "I think in the long run it will make us better. You can't be on top all the time. That's how I look at things. Now, more than ever, I believe that I have an even better opportunity to come in and help out the team."

"Both Texas and Florida are great programs. But every team has a down year and it's that year for the Longhorns and Gators," said Josh Turner said, a Texas commit from Oklahoma City (Okla.) Millwood. "These teams have tradition and will always recruit well."

2. South Austin

South Austin 2,500+ Posts

Great attitudes. This season has sucked, but if there is anything to be gained out of it it's the realization by these future Longhorns that success won't be handed to them. They'll have to earn it with hard work.

[​IMG]

3. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

One down year is not going to affect many recruits. Now if the program spiraled into a lengthy period of mediocrity, it most likely would hurt recruiting.

4. TexasGolf

TexasGolf 2,500+ Posts

I am sure they know change is coming & positions will be open for the best players ... they have a chance to step up and step in right away.

5. Bill in Sinton

Bill in Sinton 5,000+ Posts

6. H-D Rider

H-D Rider 1,000+ Posts

"It doesn't affect me at all," Diggs said. "I think in the long run it will make us better. You can't be on top all the time. That's how I look at things. Now, more than ever, I believe that I have an even better opportunity to come in and help out the team."

That's what most to ALL of the recruits are thinking... " I believe that I have an even better opportunity to come in and help out the team."

You're right Quandre...
    [​IMG]

7. warrior

warrior 2,500+ Posts

Texas needs players who can play.

8. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

9. TXThorn

TXThorn Guest

It seems with a coaching shakeup of such size and impact that UT is having, OC and both lines, recruits would be ever more excited. To come into a set system and staff tends to reward seniority more as the coaches and players have a history built. Now all the players regardless of age are new to the new coaches, and vice versa. Thus, younger players that shine should stand out even more with an equal chance to play with veteran players. You'd like to think 'the best player' plays regardless of class...yet as we've seen before this is not always the case with extended built relationships between coaches and players.

10. Mobyhorn

Mobyhorn 250+ Posts

... except that you fear that the potential recruits want instant success in terms of conference titles and national rankings. It makes sense to think a recruit might think this is the chance for me because many positions will be open. But I fear that some are going to want to go to the instant national spotlight..and shun Texas because it is rebuilding and the results are not yet known.

11. WTHorn

WTHorn 100+ Posts

12. Sugarpunk

Sugarpunk 500+ Posts

I actually think the early commitment knife cuts both ways. We are missing on some talent that emerges as high school seniors. I am happy that the current class is solid. My hope is that next year's class will be rallied by what we accomplish on the field. This program needed a kick in the pants. It doesn't make it any less painful.

But, articles like these do provide some salve to this season's wounds. Thanks for linking.