Get Well, Jose Pena!

Discussion in 'Prayer Requests' started by Orangeblood, Jun 25, 2001.

1. Orangeblood

Orangeblood 1,000+ Posts

Jose Pena, well known UT cheerleader from 1969-1972( BSEE'72 UT amd MSEE Stanford'75) is in grave condition in Baylor Hospital, Dallas with pneumonia.. Jose is the short guy at every UT sporting event with the Texas flag......a great supporter and always positive and upbeat. He's not expected to make it. Your prayers or positive channeling would be appreciated, I'm sure, by his family, loved ones and literally legions of friends. God bless Jose and his family.

Please post your get well wishes and prayers for Jose here by clicking on the Post Reply button near the top-left of the page. We will print these messages out and make sure that they get to Jose ASAP.

Jose's Condition as of 7/7 10:00 AM:
    Jose's family has made the unbearably difficult decision to take Jose off of the ventilator. The damage to his lungs was just to overwhelming. All we can do now is pray for a peaceful passing for this brilliant, kind, and wonderful man.

Jose's Condition as of 7/7 2:09 AM:
    Left the hospital about 10:30pm Friday night and Jose was still fightin'. We had quite a crew in there earlier in the evening. It was a sometimes sad, sometimes funny gathering. We were all talking to Jose knowing he was hearing us, sedation and all. There was no significant change, although his systems are beginning to slow down. There is a 24 hour vigil with him. The ICU crew has been very accommodating to everyone even allowing a group in the room.

Jose's Condition as of 7/6:
    Just talked to Rick at the hospital. No change in Jose's condition. Lungs are about the same. The Dr. told Rick that 99% of patients in this condition don't make it. BUT, when has Jose ever followed anything conventional. He can be in the 1% class. We've always put him there.

Jose's Condition as of 7/5:
    Sorry to report this sad news-today Jose Pena has taken a serious turn for the worse. This is third hand, from Brazos Bevo through Jose's brother Rick, through the attending doctor; but not good news.
    The lung function seems to have pretty much shut down, and the doctor has called the family in. Now this is similar to the news of a couple of weeks ago, and Jose rallied to the point the doctors thought he was overcoming the pneumonia, but obviously, this is not a good turn.

Edited by LonghornGirlie on 7/7/01 10:13 AM.

2. Kendall

Kendall < 25 Posts

Jose,
    I met you from Scott Wilson at the 1999 A&M-UT baseball series.. I've talked to you m any times since then. I am sorry to hear of your illness. You will be in my thoughts and prayers..... stay tough bud!

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Many people are praying for your recovery, Jose. Please keep fighting and know you are loved by many. We need you and your flag at the games for years to come. God Bless you and your family!

4. ElginHotSausage

ElginHotSausage 500+ Posts

Okay Jose --- cut the crap --- it's time to get those cells well, and get your little brown butt out of that bed!

We've been on a lot of road trips together over the last 20plus years. I've been monitoring your situation here and it's been very difficult for me to post anything. I have such tremendous affection and respect for you. I can't imagine the road baseball and football games without your familiar presence and Texas flag. You've got to get well soon buddy.

If you had any idea how many people are pulling for you, praying for you and sending good vibes your way, you would hop right out of bed. See you soon. God bless.

~ Kurt

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Okay Jose...
    Enough is ENOUGH!
    You get better right now. Your Pi Kappa Alpha contingent of friends is pulling for you. Myself, Brenton, Baret and the other list of guys are keeping you in our prayers. UT sports would not be the same without you.
    God Bless Texas and Jose Pena!
    TexasTodd

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What are you thinking, man! We're praying for you. You'd better get crackin or Texas Corner, the CWS and Omaha will never be the same! The last thing you need is for us to start toasting your skinny little butt before games now Hook Em and get out of there!

Tom & Theresa Richey, Omaha

7. ENlightened

ENlightened Guest

Right now, I have in my mind's eye a video image of a poor, forlorn-looking character standing under an umbrella on the sidelines of Razorback Stadium on Dec. 6, 1969, looking tired amidst the revelry of that famous day.

That guy got better. This one needs to do so as well.

GRK

————

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Jose, we gave you the rally hat this weekend
    and you heard us. Keep coming back - we believe in miracles and we're saving your seat in section 2!
    Austinlonghorns@msn.com

9. cacti

cacti 25+ Posts

You need to TFC, buddy. At least you will be out of bed.
    All my family is praying for you-Mike and Pam in San Antonio, Mel and Martha in Lockhart, Jean and Richard on a trip down the Mississippi River, Margie's sister network around the country, and Margie and I here in Austin. That includes Catholics, Methodists, a Jew, and me, a combination of all those. Something's bound to work.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Jose,
    If you only knew the number of folks that were praying for you and sending you their best thoughts and wishes you would would amazed. We love you Man!
    There is power in Prayer and we all believe in miracles. You just have to get better so we can all chew you out for making us worry!
    Elaine

11. Wally

Wally < 25 Posts

"The amount of grief in the world is constant, it's just a matter of whose shoulders it falls on at any given time."

Jose, hang in there through these hard times and the future will be bright I am sure. Although I only know you by the reputation you've gained as a phenomenal Horns fan across Texas, my prayers and hopes are with you in these hard times. And clearly there are many Texans who feel the same.

Hoping for a speedy recovery, hook 'em horns,

Wally in Big D.

12. Em's Mom

Em's Mom < 25 Posts

You heard us this weekend Jose! Don't make us come back and "tailgate" in the hallway again or Nurse Ratchett will run us off again. (I'll tell you the story when you get better!)

We've still got our rally caps on and it is still the bottom of the ninth.

Miss Em needs you, Jose...we all need you!

Get your Horns up, Jose!

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

As a member of LHB from 1968 - 1972, I can't think of ever
    going to a UT game without seeing you. In fact, I always
    looked for you because you were, in my opinion, the spirit of UT. I still look for you at games on Alumni Day because
    seeing you really picks up my spirits. You are as much a part of UT as Bevo, Smokey, or The Texas Cowboys. I look forward to seeing you on the sidelines again this year. My family and I will pray for your quick and complete recovery. All I ask is that you conintue to fight and never give up. God will do the rest.

14. Em's Mom

Em's Mom < 25 Posts

OU still sucks (and so does pneumonia)!!!

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Jose, it is only two months til the opening game with the Aggies from New Mexico, we need you there, and don't forget to bring the Pico de Gallo to the tailgate. And if you listen closely, I think you can hear us yelling ---
    "Jose -- FIGHT" "Jose -- FIGHT" "Jose -- FIGHT"
    austinutex@hotmial.com

16. LonghornGirlie

LonghornGirlie 500+ Posts

Give 'em Hell! Give 'em Hell!

--
    Hook 'em Horns

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This is Jose's brother, Ricky. Thanks to everyone! for their thoughts and prayers and visits. He's got two good days under his belt(today is 6/26/01) and the doctors are cautiously optimistic. Keep those rally caps on! He's not out of the woods yet. Go, Jose! Go!

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hey, Jose, hang in there, buddy! It's like the UT vs A&M game and we've got
    to win. You know what I mean! The clock is ticking and the team need
    SPIRIT. Wave that flag, nothing can defeat us, NOTHING! We need you, Jose.
    The world needs you. I believe in miracles and I believe in YOU. May God
    bless you and give you renewed strength to wave that flag again and again.

My Best,

Wallace B. (Dub) Hicks, Ph.D.
    Class of '57 Tbon

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Jose, You are my "Little Big Brother" and I am really missing you. I want you to get out of that bed and start talking! You are in my thoughts and prayers. I love you very much! Sheryl

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Gosh Jose, I'm awfully saddened to hear you are ill. We played some 42 together and sat together at the 84 College World Series and cried on each others shoulders when the boys came up short against Cal State Fullerton (when Augie was on the other side of the diamond). We also ran into each other at a few bowl games and you sent me a few of your cool hook 'em horns Christmas cards. You may remember me as living in Hancock, in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, though I now live in the Grand Rapids area and will soon be going out to Oregon. You are in my thoughts and in my prayers. Buddy, you have friends all over the country praying for you. May God's peace be with you and your family.

Rudy Stefancik, M.D.

21. Michigan Horn

Michigan Horn < 25 Posts

Gosh Jose, I'm awfully saddened to hear you are ill. We played some 42 together and sat together at the 84 College World Series and cried on each others shoulders when the boys came up short against Cal State Fullerton (when Augie was on the other side of the diamond). We also ran into each other at a few bowl games and you sent me a few of your cool hook 'em horns Christmas cards. You may remember me as living in Hancock, in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, though I now live in the Grand Rapids area and will soon be going out to Oregon. You are in my thoughts and in my prayers. Buddy, you have friends all over the country praying for you. May God's peace be with you and your family.

Rudy Stefancik, M.D.

PS I've got on my rally cap and it's autographed by a friend of yours named James Street!

22. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

When I saw the Texas flag I was afraid that was the Jose I remembered from Disch-Falk in the 80s. Jose, you inspired many of us to cheer harder for our Horns. Now we'll cheer for you. May the Lord bless you with health, one way or another!
    Everclimbing,
    Dr. Jack Allen
    Albuquerque, NM
    UT 1982

23. Denmark

Denmark 500+ Posts

Thanks for the special link LHG. I feel pretty helpless over here, but I also feel a miracle working. Please let it be true. Everyone has pretty much said what needs to be said, but the girls and I could use one of those big huggs you give when you're drunk and emotional. SHERYL...give him a kiss from Emma, and isn't that a great picture of us at the ´99 UT-ouSucks game, I have my hat on rally cap style (under Jose's right arm) while we were down 17 pts and not much hope, now it's on for you buddy!!! You not only have friends praying for you coast to coast, but around the WORLD! To my best friend, best UT fan, and great sports fan, besides who's gonna keep me supplied with t-shirts. HOOK'EM BUDDY!

#1 Texas fan in Denmark

24. Ruzenjka

Ruzenjka < 25 Posts

Jose, Get well soon! I miss you so much and love and adore you. We have been friends for 28 years,and I want 28 more years with you. Thanks to all the friends who visited Jose, prayed, and sent positive messages to Jose. I will be joining his brother in Dallas to be with Jose. Keep praying and sending positive messages to him. I have seen that is works. Tu Amore-MiAmigo, Jose-Love With All My Being, Ruzenjka and Jonathan

25. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I was at UT from '69 thru '73 and I remember Jose. He was so energetic and full of life.
    Jose, our prayers are with you and your loved ones, the Eyes of Texas are upon you, Hook'em Horns.

26. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Jose-I don't know you but I am praying for your recovery!
    God bless!

27. afan

afan < 25 Posts

Jose,
    Remember the baseball game against TCU in Arlington when you got thrown out of the game for actually trying to be the "peace maker" and we all started chanting "Free Jose, Free Jose!" Well, we plan to march around that hospital this weekend with signs and chanting "Free Jose Again!"
    We love and need you. You can be our Miracle Boy!
    Sandy D. and Elaine

28. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I never met Jose, but my thoughts and prayers go out to him.

29. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Will say a prayer for Jose today from atop a mountain near Vail, Colorado. Might be closer to someone who can help out.
    Cacti in Colorado.

30. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Jose'

Just want you to know that all of us System Admin types are praying for your full and speedy recovery. We know UDAMAN and will not be defeated! We're praying for you and your family. May God shower his blessing upon you and your family as he gives you peace. You're gonna make it! Hang tough!

Rob and the Gang from Team Jones!