Glimmer of hope versus OU?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Htown77, Oct 4, 2015.

1. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  2. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Ex-players are weighing in on this apparent implosion.
    This series is by former player Drew Kelson

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  3. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

The "glimmer of hope" seeming smaller by the tweet.
    This one was subsequently deleted --

[​IMG]

4. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

Sounds to me like the team is in disarray. Man those public tweets about and to teammates are very concerning. I thought Strong's program would at least present a unified team that fought with pride and toughness until they improved enough to compete for conference titles in Year 3.

I'm not seeing anything but the complete opposite. Both years he's been here there has been public bitching between players, and a lot of disgruntled teammates. This house is not in order in the least.

We need to cut this poison out at the very top and not waste another year before finding the appropriately qualified coach to lead us back where we need to be. Strong's program is embarrassing us on many levels.

5. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

6. Ken Barnett

Ken Barnett 25+ Posts

OU 70
    UT 10

7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

8. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

Holy hell...this is worse than I thought.

9. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

10. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

11. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

12. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

as an upper classman Haines should know better than this

13. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

Seems to me like CS fostered this rift between the fish and vets. All the high praise for the young guys coming in and then awarding tie goes to the youngsters because they're the future. Kinda understand how the vets felt slighted even though it's their own fault for not locking down positions.

Haines sounds bitter with all the young DB's getting praised by coaches and taking a lot of PT.

14. TxnByBirth

TxnByBirth 1,000+ Posts

Haines is trying to lead. He's not handling it very well, but at least he's trying. Besides the obvious issue of dressing down your teammates in public is the fact that the seniors on this team haven't done jack **** except be mediocre at best. It's hard to be a leader to the people coming up behind you if you have no cache` to back up your words.

If I was an underclassmen I would be thinking the same things as they are dropping on Twitter (just not saying it on Twitter). How can you be calling me out when you really haven't done squat since you've been on campus???

• Like Like x 1
  15. rickysrun

rickysrun 2,500+ Posts

I'm curious why anyone had hope vs TCU. Seriously, there were 3 teams on the schedule that we had no chance against: ND, TCU, Baylor.

Look, the team could easily be 3-3, and this isn't a scary OU team. Go win it and get some momentum.

Hook 'Em

• Like Like x 4
  16. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

Probably because TCU beat Minny by 6, Texas Tech took them to the wire and lost by 3, and SMU hung 37 on them.

Few imagined us getting buried 50-7 with zero resistance. Why? Because it should've never happened. Sure TCU is better, but Strong's team didn't even put up a fight. That's where the outrage comes from.

If we'd have lost 52-37 to a really good offense, most would've understood the lesser talent caused such. But few are willing to excuse another woodshed beating 18 games in to this program.

We could only muster as many points as SFA did on offense. While there other 3 questionable opponents far outperformed our offense. Unacceptable.

• Like Like x 1
  17. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

I walk around campus everyday, no body guard, no security! If you have something to say please say it me and stop hiding behind Twitter!

Hey Armanti,not trying to pick a fight, just wish you would catch a pass.....just one would be nice......

18. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

no glimmer. no hope.

19. sooner08

sooner08 < 25 Posts

Not true. He has great deal of respect for Mack Brown and what he accomplished at Texas. He has said it many times. After the Clemson game when the pots were banging, it was Mack Brown that defended Stoops.

20. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

The point spreads clearly show who was regarded as the better team. No spread was ever below 3 points in the last decade. Half the games had double digit spreads, and another was 7 points.

The favorite (better team) lost outright 3 times in the last 10 years. 30% is a fairly high rate of outright upsets. Especially considering each time the fav lost by double digits.

2006 OU -3.5, lost by 18 (point spread margin of 21.5 points)
    2008 OU -7, lost by 10 (point spread margin of 17 points)
    2013 OU -13.5, lost by 16 (point spread margin of 29.5 points)

To further show records are a poor indicator of how tight this game is played, the favorite has only covered the spread 4 times in the last 10 meetings.

21. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Ok but games are rarely considered exactly even for betting purposes. 2008 OU and 2008 Texas were very evenly matched and both finished in the top 5. #5 beating #1 isn't a "throw out the records" result. So were 2006 Texas and 2006 Oklahoma although neither team finished as high.

22. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Back to the glimmer .....

• Like Like x 1
  23. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Enough Negativity We Had Enough This Season Now Let's Rally And Beat These F@&kers

• Like Like x 2
  24. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

On a neutral field, even 3 points clearly points to one team being perceived better than another. This is even more the case in a heated rivalry game.

Any heavy bettor will tell you, the difference between a team being favored by 2.5 instead of 3 points is very significant in a football bet. For those betting on the favorite they have to feel their team will win by more than a FG. If I felt my team was evenly matched with another, no way I'd spot them a FG in a bet...big disadvantage in a perceived 50/50 bet.

Only 2 of the last 10 games had spreads as small as a FG. The rest were higher. 8 of the last 10 times there was certainly a team being favored and seen by oddsmakers as significantly more likely to win.

25. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Great post Joe Fan! That's the type of hopeful stat I was looking for in this thread. Even better, it can be reused again next year when we are 5-3.

• Like Like x 2
  26. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

27. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

Hey HTown, did you delete your post under "The fat lady....."

28. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

yes, sorry old65horn. I occasionally delete posts, not because of what I wrote, but because I don't feel like continuing to go with a particular thread or I have posted too much recently. That case was too many posts going at once. I usually send a "never mind" message as my reason in those cases. I did remember you were getting beat up unfairly though off the top of my head.

29. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

LOL @zork. This cracked me up, please don’t let it be true! :smile1:

• Like Like x 1
  30. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2