Goat Hill

Discussion in 'Classics' started by orange turdfrog, May 29, 2002.

1. orange turdfrog

orange turdfrog 25+ Posts

The most unusual field obstacle in all of baseball was in center field of the old field. It was lovingly referred to as Goat Hill by Longhorn fans and players. To, visitors it was referred to as %$@$@$+%^&##@....

It jutted out about 40-50 feet from centerfield fence. It consisted of a wall of limestone outcropping about 15 feet high and then a moderate slope of dirt up to fence. If a visitor hit it on top of Goat Hill the Texas players had a couple of steep goat trails that they could climb with ease to retrieve the ball
    The vistors would try to use the goat trails but often would fall back and have to go up the sloped sides. If a Longhorn hit a ball up there it was always a homerun. A visitor could only manage a double or triple. One thing the Longhorns did as soon as they realized ball was heading up there was to rid themselves of their glove because it took both hands to climb Goat Hill.

I wish someone could post a picture of it. If someone has a Cactus yearbook during 50's or 60's might be able to scan picture and post it. Some of you old timers might have some good stories to tell about Goat Hill..

2. srr50

srr50 25+ Posts

I believe Billy Goat Hill was the full name, and Lou Gehrig is the only player to hit one over the dead center of the Hill and out into the street. The Yanks came through barnstorming one spring, and played Texas at Clark Field. Gehrig had two strikes on him when he waylaid a ball to deep center and out of the ball park.

3. BU Baseball

BU Baseball < 25 Posts

A great book to read with some neat stories and descriptions of The Hill can be found in "SWC Baseball's Greatest Hits."

4. orange turdfrog

BU Baseball,

Why don't you gives us a very short description of the top 4 or 5 hits pertaining to Goat Hill?

5. Big Jake

Big Jake 100+ Posts

Turd,
    I have a picture of Billy Goat Hill downloaded but don't have a link.
    I can email it with your address.

6. BU Baseball

BU Baseball < 25 Posts

I'm at work now, and the book is somewhere at home. If I get some time tonight, I'll try and look that up for you.

7. Dogbert

Dogbert 500+ Posts

I went to a rock concert at the baseball stadium back in the late 60's. The stage was set up on the outcropping with all the attendees swarming the outfield and infield. The bands there were: Pacific Gas and Electric, It's a Beautiful Day, Leon Russell and some new band called the Allman Brothers. Fantastic.

8. shrevehorn

shrevehorn 25+ Posts

I have the It's a Beautiful Day album and even have a CD. My wife and son think it is some delayed reaction to drugs.

Loved the hill at old Clark.

9. HornStar

HornStar 100+ Posts

There is a UT baseball poster on the wall at Bert's BBQ on 19th commemorating the '83 National Championship that includes a nice drawing of Billy Goat Hill.
    (FWIW, I recommend the frito pie).

If you don't know where 19th street is, it is 18 blocks north of 1st street, and 7 blocks south of 26th. That should help.

10. There is a great picture on page 410 of "Kings of the Diamond" by Wilbur Evans and Bill Little (this is a larger version of the picture in Farmer's book SWC Baseball's Greatest Hits). A close up view is on pg 275 of the same book. A picture of Ken Pape scaling it in 1972 is on page 336. If I can find a scanner I will try to post these.

There is an interesting discussion about many of the powers-that-be at the time Disch-Falk was built wanted to reproduce Billy Goat Hill. That idea was vetoed by Cliff because he felt that it would take too much practice time to work on it, as well as the injury factor.

11. icet

icet < 25 Posts

I remember well Billy Goat Hill. In the early 70s, Charley Crenshaw was our center fielder (yes, Ben Crenshaw's brother). He played that thing so well, it was a great home field advantage. Charley really had it down to a science.

12. Horn69

Horn69 2,500+ Posts

Big Jake,
    Can you email me your picture of BG Hill? I've been looking for one and can't find it anywhere.

thanks alot,

Hook'em!!!!

13. UTWalkOn99

UTWalkOn99 25+ Posts

Fox 7 did a story on James and Houston tonight and they were showing old highlights of James pitching. That was the most unusual hill/slope/obstacle I've ever seen on a baseball field. Nice story too.

14. mishatx

mishatx 1,000+ Posts

pics! pics! pics!

Somebody stop teasing and post a picture of this thing. I'm always hearing about it but I've never seen it.

15. LonghornGirlie

LonghornGirlie 500+ Posts

Big Jake, email me the picture and I can get it posted here. Thanks!

16. Big Jake

Big Jake 100+ Posts

Here it is...........I think.
    The Link

17. LonghornGirlie

LonghornGirlie 500+ Posts

Thanks, Big Jake!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Big Jake

Big Jake 100+ Posts

No problem.
    The helicopter photo is from 1977, and I think it was picking up LBJ.

19. orange turdfrog

In the picture by BigJake, you will see a dark structure in leftfield..that was the scoreboard. About 10 feet to the right of it, you can barely detect a a trail going up to the top. If I am not mistaken, from this spot to the end of the wall in right field did not have any access to top. Also, I seem to remember that the portion in left field had been shaved or lowered somewhat by the time I arrived in mid 60's. Maybe not. Also, wasn't the scoreboard later moved to above left field wall?

Across street, in straight away center,you can see a two story house , About 30 feet to right of house is a knoll with a couple of trees on it. That is the location of same knoll as seen on LBJ property.I believe today there is a sidewalk going through this area. I was under impression the ball hit by Gehrig landed here....I have to admit, I have stood there a few times and oohed and awed at the incredible blast that day by Gehrig. What a great memory...Thanks BigJake!!!!

20. Big Jake

Big Jake 100+ Posts

I have very fond memories of Clark Field as well.

My Grandfather took me to many a game there when I was growing up and told me of times HE would go to the game as a kid. He had NO money back then and would have to "sneak" in the game by one of several "holes in the fence" that he knew of ( I suspect he helped create).

A fascinating place for sure.................

21. orange turdfrog

Are you sure about 1977 for helicopter picture becasueLBJ was dead by then . I do remember Nixon landing in field when he came down to help dedicate LBJ library but that was around 73 or 74 , I believe.

22. ENlightened

ENlightened Guest

A technicality, but ...

The Clark Field in the middle photo is not the same one with Billy Goat Hill. There have been two or three structures named "Clark Field." This is the one that, in pre-Memorial Stadium days, served as the home to both football and baseball. If memory of past readings holds true, this one was 2 or 3 blocks west of where Memorial Stadium was built; the Clark Field with Billy Goat Hill was directly north of the stadium.

Still, great photos!

23. Big Jake

Big Jake 100+ Posts

Of course you're right about LBJ.
    Not sure about the middle photo, but there WERE SEVERAL "Clark Fields" at UT over the years, so that makes sense as well..........

24. ENlightened

ENlightened Guest

I only know because I have studied Longhorn football uniforms, and the ones those guys are wearing are circa 1914-19. [​IMG]

25. BU Baseball

BU Baseball < 25 Posts

I looked and looked, but don't know where I put the book. Thanks to those who posted the pics.

Has anyone ever been out to a game at Kokernot Field in Alpine?

26. History Horn

History Horn 100+ Posts

I'm currently in grad school at Sul Ross, and I love watching games at that old field. It was a stopover for lots of major league teams heading west via rail. Many would play exhibition games in Kokernot. To this day, it is a baseball mecca. Kind of like Fenway, Wrigley, or others.

I'm glad you mentioned it. I'll go down and touch the natural rock this Saturday. By the way, the Lobos were not that good this year. .500 or below ball club, but that is what having no schollies will do to ya.

Hook 'em

27. BU Baseball

BU Baseball < 25 Posts

History Horn, very cool stuff indeed. It was either Sports Illustrated or Texas Highways who had a really nice article on Kokernot, affectionately calling it "the best little ballpark in Texas."

Built in 1947 at a cost of $1.25 million?! You gotta be kiddin' me. The attention to detail on that place must be amazing. The article included stories about Lou Gherig and some of the famed yankees clubs playing there and Alpine had minor league ball for awhile. I wish I still had a copy of the article.

28. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

This cliff was in Centerfield and in play?

Now that it is cool.