Goodwin Liu blocked from 9th Ckt Court of Appeals

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Horns2005, May 19, 2011.

1. Horns2005

Horns2005 250+ Posts

The Link

As a Taiwanese American with a similar view of the Constitution, I'm disappointed that I'm not represented by someone as bright and astute as he would likely be. However, I'm more saddened that the Democrats and Republicans used him to play some more political pinball with random quotes taken out of context, and Democrats letting it happen to gain the political clout necessary to filibuster the next Republican nominee. Just terrible all around.

2. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

what comes around goes around. This is what the judicial activist Liu said during Alito's confirmation hearing, "Judge Alito's record envisions an America where police may shoot and kill an unarmed boy to stop him from running away with a stolen purse; where federal agents may point guns at ordinary citizens during a raid, even after no sign of resistance . . . where a black man may be sentenced to death by an all-white jury for killing a white man . . . and where police may search what a warrant permits, and then some."

when you make up bs like that for pure political points, you get what is coming to you.

3. Oilfield

Oilfield Guest

4. NEWDOC2002

NEWDOC2002 1,000+ Posts

He is welcome to run for congress where he can actually develop laws that wrap around his view of the constitution. At least that way, the people have some transparency and regress if they don't like it. The last thing we need from either side is more activist judges. Especially ones without any real experience.

5. Satchel

Satchel 2,500+ Posts

6. Oilfield

Oilfield Guest

Justice Thomas says hello.

7. Gadfly

Gadfly 250+ Posts

As a white man, i understand, too, the pain of not having one of my race as the leader of this country. I feel so neglected. I feel so left out. I could judge Mr. Obama on his actions, policies, and beliefs, but in my heart I know, only a white man can represent me. I tried to explain this to my friend who is white and supporting Herman Cain - my friend is so naive.

8. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

He must be a real nutcase if this Senate nutted up and blocked him. They've let BO load up the court system with activist judges.

9. Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer 1,000+ Posts

Is this thread real? Boo ******* hoo. You too satchel.

10. Oilfield

Oilfield Guest

It is real, and as a Texan and an American of Austrian ancestry, I don't know if I have any representation on the court at all. That is so unfair I think.

11. FridayNiteLites

FridayNiteLites 500+ Posts

Cheese with your whine?

12. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

i wont be happy until there is a handicapped, asian transgender lesbian that believes the constitution is what i say it is.

13. WhitmanSampler

WhitmanSampler 250+ Posts

Just to be clear now, General35, Oilfield, Newdoc, et al are now all on record as believing that it is appropriate to use filibuster to block judicial nominations, right?

14. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Filibuster exists because neither party wants to get rid of it.
    Certainly if Dems thought it was a wrong procedure they had plenty of time and control to get rid of it.

15. Oilfield

Oilfield Guest

Only in estraordinary circumstances.

Per Jim Webb (D) of Virginia:

“Intellect in and of itself does not always give a person wisdom, nor does it guarantee good judgment, and the root word of ‘judgment’ is, of course, ‘judge,’” Webb said Wednesday. “And that is our duty today, to decide whether professor Liu’s almost complete lack of practical legal experience, coupled with his history of intemperate, politically charged statements, allow us a measure of comfort and predictability as to whether he would be fair and balanced while sitting in one of the highest courts in the land.”

That pretty well says it all.

16. Michtex

Michtex 1,000+ Posts

17. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Mich?
    All of them? No

18. WhitmanSampler

Yes Mich-tex, shocking, isn't it, that Oilfield would misrepresent the context of Webb's comments?

And here is one more for your littany of F'ing hypocrits:
    "I will vote to support a vote, up or down, on every nominee—understanding that, were I in the minority party and the issues reversed, I would take exactly the same position because this document, our Constitution, does not equivocate" Sen. Isaakson R-Ga.The Link

The argument that "they did it too" is all well and good, but when you claim that filibuster is unconstitutional in the context of judicial nominees, but do it anyway, you are a hypocrite and you are violating your oath of office. This is especially true whenyou expressly stated that you would hold the same view if you were in the majority.

I find it comical that Oilfield is invoking the position of the Democrats during the "gang of 14" compromise of 2005. I wonder if you thought that the Democrats were acting in accordance with the Constitution back in 2005, Oilfield, or if you saw it differently when your ox was being gored?

By the way, I will scream hypocricy at any Democrat who voted against cloture during the Bush years and is now saying that filibuster is unconstitutional. Betcha don't find any though.

19. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

The republicans learned from the democrats. During Bush's two terms, he nominated 39 people for 27 appellate judgeships that were blocked by senate democrats either in committee or on the floor by filibuster. Miguel Estrada was the first court of appeals nominee to ever be fillibustered successfully in 2003 (they must be racists).

The democrats pretty much invented this tactic and created this current tone in washington over the last decade. get off of your high horse. Liu isnt even a good guy. of course the republicans were politicizing the issue by opposing the fillibuster. every nominee the republicans put up was being blocked. the democrats created this adversarial process. it had never been done before. you think obama has been getting a rough time by the republicans? good lord are there some short memories or what.

20. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Horns2005
    You posted, "As a Taiwanese American with a similar view of the Constitution,"

What is your view of our Constitution?Do you think your Taiwanese heritage affects how you view it? If so why?

Edit to ask
    Do you live in the area covered by the 9th? What kind of ruling would come from this court do you see would affect you as a TaiwaneseAmerican?

I am just interested in your concern that you, as a Taiwanese American, think only another person of same heritage could represent your interests on a federal court.

21. WhitmanSampler

He is not even a good guy? Do you know him General? I'm fine with you opposing him, bu it appears that you are doing so because you politicl heros told you to, not because "he isn't a good guy".

I am pleased to see that you admit that the Republicans who were claiming that the use of the filibuster was unconstitutional were merely "politicizing the issue". Congratulations for embracing a bunch of liars.

22. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

He is not even a good guy?

read the statement he made above. would a man with integrity and honor make prepared statements about another judge he knew to be untrue solely for the purpose of making political points? we are not talking about politicians here, we are talking about judges. all poiticans are liars, if you think the democrats are an honest bunch you are either stupid or an idiot, take your pick. you have to give the republicans at least a break though. after watchig alomst 40 judicial nominees get blocked over 8 years, perhaps they changed their position on the issue.

23. Michtex

Michtex 1,000+ Posts

Was it untrue?

24. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

Thanks for posting cal-berkley that is promoting his nomination. The fact remains that Alito ruled correclty in those cases based upon what he was reviewing.

25. WhitmanSampler

Thank you Judge General35 for that brilliant legal anaysis. "the fact is" that you want to believe that Alito was right, so in your mind that makes Liu a bad guy because he disagreed and dared to say so in a confirmation hearing. I suppose you would apply the same standard to anyone who testified against Judge Kagan, or Judge Sotomayor, right? OH... I guess not ... because "the fact is" she was wrong and her critics were right. I see how this works.

26. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

no, ive actually read the cases. since the conservative justices currenty on the court are so terrible, please give me an opinion you disagree with and tell me why.

27. gecko

gecko 2,500+ Posts

Liu getting pwnd just makes me smile.

28. Gadfly

Gadfly 250+ Posts

Liu may be a wonderful and fair legal mind. I think the main contention is the belief race is a fundamental asset for support. Your thread, unfortunately, has gone off topic. In the original post, you made no mention of Mr. Liu’s legal background, education, ruling history, relevant writings. You mention two qualifiers. Apparently (although I’m sure it was not your intent), the primary trait of import was he shared the same race. This is the definition of racist favoritism.

You also allude Liu’s race is the reason he is being blocked, and Satchel, understandably, has a lot of sympathy for that position. However, you’ve offered weak support for that assumption. I hope when you, Horns2005, go up for a job or promotion, a person of another race isn’t show this type of favoritism. Your posts prove you to be a very intelligent person, and I’m sure with race taken out of the picture, you would have no problems.

29. WhitmanSampler

30. Lake_Travis_Horn

Lake_Travis_Horn 500+ Posts